Sponsored by:

What do you use to wash/detail car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 06:18 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerfan94
How do the experts here care for their ceramic coated wheels? I'd love some tips and product recommendations!
My wheels get coated every year, prior to winter hibernation, with Optimum Gloss Coat.

Then, during the driving season, they are washed with warm soapy water. No wheel cleaners or chemicals. Blow dry with the MasterBlaster.

This as a finishing topper:

Old 03-29-2020, 07:33 PM
Brad911
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm Obsessed. So I recently installed this....

every man’s dream cleaning assembly. Well done, rangerfan!!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:46 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

All I did was install the setup that Matt @ Obsessed Garage spent years sourcing and improving. I have his new OG spec pressure washer gun and wand, along with the new foam cannon, and they are fantastic. I couldn’t give my old stuff away faster. Took some creativity to make it work, and I might go with a more permanent plumbing solution at some point. Need a plumber to put in a mixing valve to keep the water from getting above 80. Otherwise, I agree—a dream setup and makes washing a breeze. Turn on the water, fill the buckets, pull the hose, and go. The Kranzle is nice and quiet. And the CR Spotless works great with my well water—a huge improvement!!

LexVan, how is your experience with the portable compressor?
Old 03-29-2020, 10:32 PM
PJSD
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 59 Posts

that's the best set up I've ever seen. One can dream...
Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 PM
pw-sherman
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Being an unfortunate lover of black paint, washing is of utmost importance to me. Pretty much use the same, possibly overly OCD-ish method to wash our black PPF'd car as well as our ceramic coated other cars.

For me, I do that as follows:
1. Foam car using pressure washer/foam cannon
2. 2 or 3-bucket wash with the softest sponge I know of
3. Blow dry with a dedicated air-dryer

Video Link: How to Wash Your Car – 3 Bucket Wash Method: https://youtu.be/d7KlyHgOkJs

For a foam cannon, I use the MTM PF22 and a 1.76 gpm pressure washer (2030psi). GPM is more important than all-out psi when getting good foam and if you’re running a lower GPM pressure washer, changing the orifice in the foam cannon will help. My 1.76gpm works best with the 1.1mm orifice, as do most pressure washers with similar specs.

For a soft sponge, I use the Esoteric Sponge: https://www.esotericcarcare.com/esot...r-wash-sponge/

To dry, I use a BigBoi BlowR PRO unit, makes drying the car incredibly easy, safe and effective. I’ve tried a few other methods to blow air and dry but after all is said and done, the BigBoi is, dollar for dollar, the best detailing ‘thing’ I’ve spent money on…and I’ve spent a lot of money on detailing ‘things’. As mentioned above, an air dryer is a great investment. Why I chose the BigBoi over other methods/brands can be found here in my notes: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/other-stuff/#BIGBOI

While I may sometimes think I know things, at the end of the day all I really know is that there is way more I DON’T know with regards to this stuff than that which I DO know…and sometimes that’s half the fun. The other half is looking at your car and being pleased with how it looks; while black will never be as easy to keep clean as other colors there are things you can do to make it tolerable, all of which will apply to other colors as well. As with anything, YMMV, sometimes ya learn as ya go.

My best solution to the riddle of black has been to buy an Agate Gray Metallic Cayman, coat it to the gills and then just enjoy it. Drove that thing through 200 miles of thunderstorms one weekend and it was still clean enough that I didn’t feel the need to wash it for a week or so after…it still looked great. Detail and coating application notes here: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/so...#CAYMAN_DETAIL

As far as specific products, generally stick with Gyeon Bathe for foam and wash bucket, usually follow up after drying with Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz. If I think I need a bit more 'oomph' in the foaming stage, Gyeon Foam works well.

Cosmic Spritz (or High Gloss for the ultimate shine) are great on PPF but beware if dipping a toe in the Polish Angel world...it's highly addictive (in a very, very, VERY good way)
Polish Angels stuff is fantastic. I personally love the Rapidwaxx the most. I ordered some in Germany that the hotel is holding for me until I (hopefully) do my Euro Delivery later this year so it can be protected from day one.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:32 AM
1RedHead
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 132 Posts

And the CR Spotless works great with my well water—a huge improvement!!
It all starts with the water!
Old 03-30-2020, 01:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,540 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSD
Sorry if this post is else where, what does everyone use to wash their car at home? Looking for the best product/soap for use with PPF and factory paint, that doesn't leave lots of water marks/spots. What do you use for interior? Leather? Wax? Thanks!
A good quality mobile detailer that makes housecalls.
The following users liked this post:
crimewave (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 06:46 AM
LexVan
Banned

LexVan, how is your experience with the portable compressor?
As advertised. Very high quality.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:51 AM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Very jealous of these setups! LexVan, I have been eyeballing that PW for about a year now but have not pulled the trigger! I mostly use Adams products and have found the entire range of products to be quite good!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:56 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by KCviper
Very jealous of these setups! LexVan, I have been eyeballing that PW for about a year now but have not pulled the trigger! I mostly use Adams products and have found the entire range of products to be quite good!
I had Matt's (Obsessed Garage) product on my watch-list, too, for over a year, before I pulled the trigger. Nature of the beast with the more expensive luxury car care products. I could say the same thing about my MasterBlaster, and I probably delayed that purchase by over 2 years.

I've used many Adams products. All were great. I especially like(d) their car Shampoo and Quick Detailer..
Old 03-30-2020, 03:49 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

How do the experts here care for their ceramic coated wheels? I'd love some tips and product recommendations!
My wheels are coated with CQuartz. I use Reload every 3rd or 4th wash to keep them looking great.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:18 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

I have those buckets too! But sadly I don’t have the time to wash my own cars so I have a detailer come and clean them every month or two.

Last edited by RudyP; 09-05-2022 at 08:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RayC168 (09-05-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 01:36 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Being an unfortunate lover of black paint, washing is of utmost importance to me. Pretty much use the same, possibly overly OCD-ish method to wash our black PPF'd car as well as our ceramic coated other cars.

For me, I do that as follows:
1. Foam car using pressure washer/foam cannon
2. 2 or 3-bucket wash with the softest sponge I know of
3. Blow dry with a dedicated air-dryer

Video Link: How to Wash Your Car – 3 Bucket Wash Method: https://youtu.be/d7KlyHgOkJs

For a foam cannon, I use the MTM PF22 and a 1.76 gpm pressure washer (2030psi). GPM is more important than all-out psi when getting good foam and if you’re running a lower GPM pressure washer, changing the orifice in the foam cannon will help. My 1.76gpm works best with the 1.1mm orifice, as do most pressure washers with similar specs.

For a soft sponge, I use the Esoteric Sponge: https://www.esotericcarcare.com/esot...r-wash-sponge/

To dry, I use a BigBoi BlowR PRO unit, makes drying the car incredibly easy, safe and effective. I’ve tried a few other methods to blow air and dry but after all is said and done, the BigBoi is, dollar for dollar, the best detailing ‘thing’ I’ve spent money on…and I’ve spent a lot of money on detailing ‘things’. As mentioned above, an air dryer is a great investment. Why I chose the BigBoi over other methods/brands can be found here in my notes: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/other-stuff/#BIGBOI

While I may sometimes think I know things, at the end of the day all I really know is that there is way more I DON’T know with regards to this stuff than that which I DO know…and sometimes that’s half the fun. The other half is looking at your car and being pleased with how it looks; while black will never be as easy to keep clean as other colors there are things you can do to make it tolerable, all of which will apply to other colors as well. As with anything, YMMV, sometimes ya learn as ya go.

My best solution to the riddle of black has been to buy an Agate Gray Metallic Cayman, coat it to the gills and then just enjoy it. Drove that thing through 200 miles of thunderstorms one weekend and it was still clean enough that I didn’t feel the need to wash it for a week or so after…it still looked great. Detail and coating application notes here: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/so...#CAYMAN_DETAIL

As far as specific products, generally stick with Gyeon Bathe for foam and wash bucket, usually follow up after drying with Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz. If I think I need a bit more 'oomph' in the foaming stage, Gyeon Foam works well.

Cosmic Spritz (or High Gloss for the ultimate shine) are great on PPF but beware if dipping a toe in the Polish Angel world...it's highly addictive (in a very, very, VERY good way)

Dude, you’re not kidding on Polish Angel, particularly with a black car.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackBeauty:
BudgetPlan1 (09-05-2022), Esoteric_Detail (09-06-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 01:54 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

My evolution in car care and detailing product lines: Meguiars, then Griots, then Klasse, then Zaino and now Adams.

Last edited by Patriot; 09-06-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:14 PM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Dude, you’re not kidding on Polish Angel, particularly with a black car.
‘Tis a wonderful addiction, no? 😆

Quick Reply: What do you use to wash/detail car?