Sponsored by:

Opinions and clarifications on a couple of options

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 12:06 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
I think the Laws of Diminishing Returns indicate you do not need to add much to the standard spec. Save your money!

Anyway, it is scientifically proven look.

You move from a Carrera 2 to a Turbo and and the price nearly doubles, however you only gain 3 Joy points on the Y axis.

he didn’t tell you the vertical scale is logarithmic

Old 03-17-2020, 12:09 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Dude! Everyone else is trying to help me save money!

The MT comes packaged with Sport Chrono, so it's there. I don't think RAS is meaningful in South Florida. It was something that I never realized, but everything is flat and straight here. RAS will only come into play if I want to boy-racer a freeway on-ramp (although even most of those are long and straight - they don't really do cloverleafs here). There's a lot of things that I miss about New England, and great country roads are near the top of the list.
lol. I really like RAS, but you can live without it.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:19 AM
Slingray
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish I could say I was a newbie, but I'm finally working on finalizing an order for my fifth 911 - an MT C2S Cab. In the past, I've always ended up over-optioning my cars because it makes no sense to me spending $140k on a car and not being happy because I left off $10k worth of options. And of course, Porsche is the master of incrementing you to death. My current car - a 2015 991.1 GTS Cab - cost $154k and that was really in nosebleed territory me. So I'm trying to be crazy prudent on optioning the 992. My current spec is just under $156k, but it doesn't include a few things that in the past, I think I would have ordered. So I'd like opinions . . .

Sport Exhaust. Leaving this off saves $2370 (thru the MT Sport Package). It's something I've always had on my 911s and even retro-fitted it on my first one. But to be real, I think it's something that others hear from outside the car more than the driver hears inside the car. And the 992's standard quad tailpipes look sooo much better than the sport exhaust's dual pipes.

PDLS+. Leaving this off saves $1270. I think all I lose is the swivel and leveling functions, right? I can't remember the last time I had any car that didn't have those two features, but I've recently moved to Florida and never drive country roads anymore, so I'm thinking I won't miss them. Frankly, I'm not sure I even notice them now in my other car (a BMW).

Surround View. Leaving this off saves $1430. I've had this on my BMWs for years and it's a great feature. But the 911 is pretty small and easy to maneuver and I've read here that Porsche's implementation isn't very good. So it's easy to leave this option off, except I'm not sure of one thing . . . on the configurator, the option video seems to indicate that the Surround View option includes the front and rear parking sensors (which are very necessary imo) as well as the surround camera. Am I misunderstanding that? Are the front and rear parking sensors standard even without the Surround View option?

Thanks for your help and opinions.

DO NOT leave off the PSE. You wont know what you're missing out on but the PSE has fast become the best thing about the 992. I previously owned a 991.2 GTS and the 992 sounds INCREDIBLE by comparison, IMO. Dont bother listening to Youtubes, etc microphones and computer speakers never do exhausts justice. Just tick the PSE box.

Sound is the unsung hero of the 992, between 3,500-5,800 rpm the aural sensation comes alive. It has a much cleaner beat in the exhaust note, you can hear each cylinder firing in order, similar in effect to how a lumpy cam V8 sounds but in a 6cylundee boxer firing order. Its very unique and I've found it to be compleley intoxicating. You want to drive the car in this rev range, all of the time. But unfortunately the has been cruelty designed to make that difficult, speed bumps, volvo drivers and traffic lights conspire against you. But waiting to hear that engine at that rev range only builds suspense.
The following 4 users liked this post by Slingray:
crimewave (03-17-2020), dhirm5 (03-17-2020), SamD (03-17-2020), The-Dream (03-19-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 02:37 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
lol! honestly, speaking for myself, i know i'd wind up regretting not having spent the extra dough on all the checkboxes. i'd say suck it up and get everything rather than finding ways to justify eliminating options.
Holy cow. I just looked at your spec. I’m only replying to say that it is gorgeous.
The following users liked this post:
hinckley (03-18-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:50 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

If you haven't already, you need to test drive 992s with and without PSE.

It was my second must-have option after the MT in my ordered '19 C4S. The first thing I do after starting the car is set the SC to "Sport". There's definitely a difference to the sound you hear inside the cabin, it becomes deeper and a bit louder, but still pleasant. Fortunately, I really like the twin center exhausts, the look is starker (similar to a race car).

The 991.2 options were friendlier to what I wanted than the current 992 options and packages, which worked out for me.

I live in Florida as well, the Sport package on my car included RAS, and I have driven it up to NC and roads in-between. I can tell you it's a joy to drive in the curves, actually it's a joy everywhere.

Good luck with the car. One more thing, you will, in the end, spend more than you want, but you have to draw the line at some point.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:40 AM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From my experience in sitting and driving these cars over the years

Seat Ventilation
– was going to order it, but did not it makes the seats harder with the extra equipment installed, with AC in a small cabin your going to be more than fine

Light Design Package - extra not needed at all

Tachometer Dial in White

7V3 - get it you want the look, but it looks fantastic without

Sun Visors in Leather Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

5XZ - please don’t donate the money to charity

Center Console Lid with Model Designation Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

6E3 - You have the model on the back of the car what does it do for you on console ?

Pedals and Footrest in Aluminum P19 - you are not going to notice

ASM Sport Suspension (Lowered 10mm)

1BV - insignificant does nothing for look or track really does not, I have tracked the car

Saved you 4360 use it to the PSE mate you will be better off.

Your funds please just be happy with what you get, but you have almost 5k in stuff that doesn't matter ( you asked for opinion ) .. enjoy your ride mate ! Congratulations
Old 03-19-2020, 11:47 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Good luck with the car. One more thing, you will, in the end, spend more than you want, but you have to draw the line at some point.
Thanks for all your comments. And ya, this isn't my first time ordering a 911, and my whole point is trying to understand where to draw that line this time. One question for you, do you notice RAS in day-to-day driving around Florida?

Originally Posted by robbie9999
From my experience in sitting and driving these cars over the years . . . Your funds please just be happy with what you get, but you have almost 5k in stuff that doesn't matter ( you asked for opinion ) .. enjoy your ride mate ! Congratulations
I did ask for opinions and I appreciate yours. Some of the things you've mentioned are aesthetics that I've simply come to want/enjoy over 20+ years of driving 911s. Others like the Sport Suspension really make me re-consider. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:51 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

As to your question in:re to RAS, it’s hard to quantify the effect it has in everyday driving.

It was part of the Sport package and there was a cost savings of over 1k over individually ordering the options.

The car feels very firmly connected to the road, and I push it taking turns and corners whenever possible. I have driven it through some very twisty stretches outside of Florida and more of than kept with motorcycles on the same road.

The GTS models I drove at the PTX on two occasions I’m fairly certain had RAS. The steering was very precise and responsive with what seemed to me not needing as much input as you would think throughout the turns.

Of course, all of the above is subjective. I don’t think it’s an absolute must option but as part of the package offered, I’m glad it was included, no regrets.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:17 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Congratulations on a beautiful new 992! I know the RS wheels are expensive, but they just look so fantastic. I loved the look of the Center Lock wheels on my 991.1 GTS, but they are an incredible pain in the a** to take off and get on, unless you let the dealer do it. If I buy another GTS I will not get the CL's. I had no idea that the seat ventilation system made the seat harder. I thought it was a wonderful option even here in New England. And for special occasions you can use seat heating and ventilation at the same time! Since I'm likely to be stuck here until I croak I like the idea of RWS and PDLS+. Those lights also help when you are making turns at 90 degree corners, but are certainly not necessary. One other way to save money would be to sell your BMW, since you no longer have to put up with the crappy weather here- and you can now drive your 911 twelve month every year. Of course, you may need the extra seats.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:57 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I posted this is the PSE thread and didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd try it in my own thread . . .

For those with PSE in a 992 . . . in my 991.1 GTS, I usually turn off PSE when cruising on the highway at 70 and above because I find the exhaust note turns into an annoying drone. I've read posts by others with the same complaint. Does the 992 PSE suffer from the same issue?
Old 03-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

I posted this is the PSE thread and didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd try it in my own thread . . .

For those with PSE in a 992 . . . in my 991.1 GTS, I usually turn off PSE when cruising on the highway at 70 and above because I find the exhaust note turns into an annoying drone. I've read posts by others with the same complaint. Does the 992 PSE suffer from the same issue?
You know it’s funny, I had a highway-speed drone in my 991.2 C2s, with the PSE “off”, and for some reason it was a little easier on the ears when the PSE was turned “on”... odd I know.

On my 992 C2s w standard exhaust, I haven’t noticed any drone at all, but I also have only done a few stints or highway driving.

Quick Reply: Opinions and clarifications on a couple of options