Sponsored by:

Opinions and clarifications on a couple of options

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 11:03 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Opinions and clarifications on a couple of options

I wish I could say I was a newbie, but I'm finally working on finalizing an order for my fifth 911 - an MT C2S Cab. In the past, I've always ended up over-optioning my cars because it makes no sense to me spending $140k on a car and not being happy because I left off $10k worth of options. And of course, Porsche is the master of incrementing you to death. My current car - a 2015 991.1 GTS Cab - cost $154k and that was really in nosebleed territory me. So I'm trying to be crazy prudent on optioning the 992. My current spec is just under $156k, but it doesn't include a few things that in the past, I think I would have ordered. So I'd like opinions . . .

Sport Exhaust. Leaving this off saves $2370 (thru the MT Sport Package). It's something I've always had on my 911s and even retro-fitted it on my first one. But to be real, I think it's something that others hear from outside the car more than the driver hears inside the car. And the 992's standard quad tailpipes look sooo much better than the sport exhaust's dual pipes.

PDLS+. Leaving this off saves $1270. I think all I lose is the swivel and leveling functions, right? I can't remember the last time I had any car that didn't have those two features, but I've recently moved to Florida and never drive country roads anymore, so I'm thinking I won't miss them. Frankly, I'm not sure I even notice them now in my other car (a BMW).

Surround View. Leaving this off saves $1430. I've had this on my BMWs for years and it's a great feature. But the 911 is pretty small and easy to maneuver and I've read here that Porsche's implementation isn't very good. So it's easy to leave this option off, except I'm not sure of one thing . . . on the configurator, the option video seems to indicate that the Surround View option includes the front and rear parking sensors (which are very necessary imo) as well as the surround camera. Am I misunderstanding that? Are the front and rear parking sensors standard even without the Surround View option?

Thanks for your help and opinions.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:14 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

I didn't get PSE on my C2S because I didn't want a car that was too loud and I really wanted the quad tips. Not disappointed--the car still sounds amazing with the standard exhaust. I got the comfort package so I have the PDLS+ so no real opinion on that. I won't buy any car that does not have surround view so I did get that and it works well--not as good as my prior Mercedes and current BMW but it keeps me off curbs and wheel stops and helps me center the car in tight parking spaces. You do get front and rear park sensors and the back up camera without this option.
The following 3 users liked this post by HouTexCarreraS:
hinckley (03-16-2020), pelucidor (03-16-2020), Schwarz992C4S (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 11:27 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

Classic build. Love that red interior. Couple of thoughts:
- SPASM not needed unless tracking or the 10mm really looks all that different to the eye
- the seatbacks covered looks nice, but that is a lot to pay for something one rarely ever sees
- some have said the CF interior is not all that great and the standard trim has a CF-esque look to it, plus it matches the knurling on the switches (could then also lose the illuminated door sills)

BUT, as so many have said, the right options are the ones right for you . . .
The following users liked this post:
hinckley (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 11:45 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Just wanted to say that if you are considering not using the surround view, know:

-because you have memory seats, a feature is enabled that the passenger mirror dips when reversing, very handy for assessing curb distance on the side during parallel park

-the front and rear distance sensors that are standard, include a very nice visual representation of distance, much nicer than the 991.2

so I don’t think you’d go into parking “unassisted” without that.
hinckley (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 12:23 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamD
Classic build. Love that red interior. Couple of thoughts:
- SPASM not needed unless tracking or the 10mm really looks all that different to the eye
- the seatbacks covered looks nice, but that is a lot to pay for something one rarely ever sees
- some have said the CF interior is not all that great and the standard trim has a CF-esque look to it, plus it matches the knurling on the switches (could then also lose the illuminated door sills)
Great feedback. Thanks.

I don't know if it continued with the 991.2, but the 991.1 Cab and Targa never got the 10mm drop, so I'll take a look at cars on the dealer lot to see whether that really makes a difference to me.

Your point on the carbon fiber trim is good and the 992 really has very little of it. I'll take a closer look at the standard trim.

I really dislike the grey plastic on the seatbacks and they really are noticeable with the Cab's top down (and how else would you drive it?!!). But if I opt for the standard trim, I can just cover them in leather and that saves a few more bucks.

Thanks again. And any other feedback on my build is appreciated.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Great feedback. Thanks.

I don't know if it continued with the 991.2, but the 991.1 Cab and Targa never got the 10mm drop, so I'll take a look at cars on the dealer lot to see whether that really makes a difference to me.

Your point on the carbon fiber trim is good and the 992 really has very little of it. I'll take a closer look at the standard trim.

I really dislike the grey plastic on the seatbacks and they really are noticeable with the Cab's top down (and how else would you drive it?!!). But if I opt for the standard trim, I can just cover them in leather and that saves a few more bucks.

Thanks again. And any other feedback on my build is appreciated.
I actually think the covered seat backs are a worthwhile investment in a convertible, but I think you can pay for them better by moving off the carbon fiber, which I personally don’t like much regardless of price. If you went with an aluminum trim theme for the car, it would be cheaper, would match your pedals, the car comes standard w stainless door sills that match, and so you wouldn’t spend on carbon sills, etc. I bet this would save you tons.

I agree w skipping the PSE, I enjoy my standard sounds plenty, and the quad pipes look even better in person than pictures.

Im not sure why you selected the painted sills with standard front/rear bumpers, the unpainted sills line up perfectly and look more elegant imho.

lastly, you picked the most expensive wheels, if you love them great, but another option would be platinum painted Carrera S wheels, Only a $1k option, they would match your paint just like the RS spyders at a cheaper price, though frankly, I think the plain silver Carrera S wheels would look amazing on a agate/red/aluminum build, and save you even more.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:06 PM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

I wish I could say I was a newbie, but I'm finally working on finalizing an order for my fifth 911 - an MT C2S Cab. In the past, I've always ended up over-optioning my cars because it makes no sense to me spending $140k on a car and not being happy because I left off $10k worth of options. And of course, Porsche is the master of incrementing you to death. My current car - a 2015 991.1 GTS Cab - cost $154k and that was really in nosebleed territory me. So I'm trying to be crazy prudent on optioning the 992. My current spec is just under $156k, but it doesn't include a few things that in the past, I think I would have ordered. So I'd like opinions . . .

Sport Exhaust. Leaving this off saves $2370 (thru the MT Sport Package). It's something I've always had on my 911s and even retro-fitted it on my first one. But to be real, I think it's something that others hear from outside the car more than the driver hears inside the car. And the 992's standard quad tailpipes look sooo much better than the sport exhaust's dual pipes.

PDLS+. Leaving this off saves $1270. I think all I lose is the swivel and leveling functions, right? I can't remember the last time I had any car that didn't have those two features, but I've recently moved to Florida and never drive country roads anymore, so I'm thinking I won't miss them. Frankly, I'm not sure I even notice them now in my other car (a BMW).

Surround View. Leaving this off saves $1430. I've had this on my BMWs for years and it's a great feature. But the 911 is pretty small and easy to maneuver and I've read here that Porsche's implementation isn't very good. So it's easy to leave this option off, except I'm not sure of one thing . . . on the configurator, the option video seems to indicate that the Surround View option includes the front and rear parking sensors (which are very necessary imo) as well as the surround camera. Am I misunderstanding that? Are the front and rear parking sensors standard even without the Surround View option?

Thanks for your help and opinions.
I think you have to keep all of this three options - PSE, PDLS+ and surround view (think about your very expensive rims).

But I think you forget to include Rear Axle Steering
And what about sport chrono?
The following 2 users liked this post by FSB:
dhirm5 (03-16-2020), Metalblond (03-17-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 01:51 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by FSB
But I think you forget to include Rear Axle Steering
My 4S doesn't have this option and I miss it. My 991.1 turbo has it and I would say the difference between the two cars is that my 992 C4S feels like the front end is on a swivel when I turn the wheel whereas with my turbo, it feels like the whole car is shifting when I steer. The 992 is still great with standard steering, but I prefer the feeling of driving with RAS.
The following 3 users liked this post by AKSteve:
dhirm5 (03-16-2020), FSB (03-16-2020), Metalblond (03-17-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 01:52 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FSB
I think you have to keep all of this three options - PSE, PDLS+ and surround view (think about your very expensive rims). But I think you forget to include Rear Axle Steering. And what about sport chrono?
Dude! Everyone else is trying to help me save money!

The MT comes packaged with Sport Chrono, so it's there. I don't think RAS is meaningful in South Florida. It was something that I never realized, but everything is flat and straight here. RAS will only come into play if I want to boy-racer a freeway on-ramp (although even most of those are long and straight - they don't really do cloverleafs here). There's a lot of things that I miss about New England, and great country roads are near the top of the list.
dhirm5 (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 01:59 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 145 Posts

I think the Laws of Diminishing Returns indicate you do not need to add much to the standard spec. Save your money!

Anyway, it is scientifically proven look.

You move from a Carrera 2 to a Turbo and and the price nearly doubles, however you only gain 3 Joy points on the Y axis.

The following 3 users liked this post by politeperson:
hinckley (03-16-2020), OmniBlade (03-17-2020), The-Dream (03-19-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 02:01 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

I don't think RAS is meaningful in South Florida. It was something that I never realized, but everything is flat and straight here. RAS will only come into play if I want to boy-racer a freeway on-ramp (although even most of those are long and straight - they don't really do cloverleafs here). There's a lot of things that I miss about New England, and great country roads are near the top of the list.
OK, so I should move to Florida when I get tired of steering my car.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:02 PM
FSB
Instructor

Originally Posted by AKSteve
My 4S doesn't have this option and I miss it. My 991.1 turbo has it and I would say the difference between the two cars is that my 992 C4S feels like the front end is on a swivel when I turn the wheel whereas with my turbo, it feels like the whole car is shifting when I steer. The 992 is still great with standard steering, but I prefer the feeling of driving with RAS.
I have 991.2 Speedster, as I remember this platform doesn't have RAS
First car with RAS was my wife's Q7 4M - it was very comfortable in parkings and in steering too.
After that we ordered RAS on my wife's current 971 Panamera - now I'm absolutely sure it's messer option for Porsche
Old 03-16-2020, 02:06 PM
FSB
Instructor

The MT comes packaged with Sport Chrono, so it's there. I don't think RAS is meaningful in South Florida. It was something that I never realized, but everything is flat and straight here. RAS will only come into play if I want to boy-racer a freeway on-ramp (although even most of those are long and straight - they don't really do cloverleafs here). There's a lot of things that I miss about New England, and great country roads are near the top of the list.
I'm just trying to help you not to regret after spending $150K+

RAS main advantage on low speed, so it's not only for Côte d'Azur
The following 2 users liked this post by FSB:
dhirm5 (03-16-2020), hinckley (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 02:16 PM
pw-sherman
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 48 Posts

It could certainly be said that I over-optioned my 992, I think it was money well spent and I agree that it doesn't make sense to leave stuff off if it will bother you. My non-S cab came out to 154k, so 43k in options including all of them that you have questions on.

Sports Exhaust: My first demo was with a 4S cab that didn't have it, followed by a C2 cab that did have it. The main difference is that you don't get the pops and bangs in sport mode, noise level with the top down is about the same. I actually prefer the quad tips but since I didn't order an S it wasn't an option at the time.

PLDS: The headlights get a chrome ring inside them on the PLDS+ and Matrix lights, that looks better to my eye but the extra function on the lights is negligible for me.

Surround View: With the top up the cab has pretty big blind spots. While I think the mirrors and standard cam/sensors provide great coverage I was really worried about curbing a wheel (I end up replacing them rather than fixing them when it happens because the repair never turns out perfect so $1400 wasn't too big of a deal for me). The surround view has a camera pointed at the rear wheel which sealed the seal for me.

Seatbacks: If you opt for the 14 ways the seatbacks are leather as standard, that saves you a chunk of money if you like those seats more. I liked the way the 18 ways felt but I hated how cheap the plastics backs look and feel, so I optioned the leather w/ brushed aluminum to match my trim. With the top down the grey sticks out if nothing else on the car is that color.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:42 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

lol! honestly, speaking for myself, i know i'd wind up regretting not having spent the extra dough on all the checkboxes. i'd say suck it up and get everything rather than finding ways to justify eliminating options.
The following 3 users liked this post by dhirm5:
DallasVP17 (03-16-2020), FlxJet (09-23-2020), Metalblond (03-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Opinions and clarifications on a couple of options