Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions and clarifications on a couple of options

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 02:49 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

I did not opt for Sports Exhaust or PDLS+, I don't miss either of them. Sports Exhaust might be nice in a cab, how often did you hit that button in your previous 911s? Agree the quad pipes look better - I opted for the Sports tailpipes on my C2 just to get that look. I like Surround View and find it helpful, as it automatically starts up when the car detects you are close to an object. I wouldn't own a DD without it.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
I think the Laws of Diminishing Returns indicate you do not need to add much to the standard spec. Save your money!

Anyway, it is scientifically proven look.

You move from a Carrera 2 to a Turbo and and the price nearly doubles, however you only gain 3 Joy points on the Y axis.

THIS, although, in my experience you could put a 7+ on the joymeter at $20-30k for a nice 997.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:51 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

When considering PSE it's important to differentiate between the US and other markets, as the particulate filters are not fitted to MY2020 cars in the US.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:52 PM
C6Z06to911992
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

To the OP, I’m a newbie to Porsche, but I’ve been pining for a 911 since the early eighties. I recently ordered my first 911 somewhat similar to yours, except a PDK Carrera S. I chose the same exterior color/interior color combination, as well as the RS Spyder wheels (they look beautiful, and very sporty with AG) glass sunroof, 18 way sport seats, and on and on.
I also chose the CF interior package with a CF heated Multifunction GT Sport Steering Wheel...it’s expensive and may be minimal, but I like CF, and likely few others will opt for it, setting mine apart...maybe. And for a color pop...a GR Sport Chrono ring.
I agree with Hp12c on the painted side sills, I initially opted for them alone (as I dislike the sport front fascia, and the rear sport option is awful) but changed my mind after seeing them in person. The lines flow nicely from front to rear without them, but are interrupted somewhat (IMO) with the sport side sills alone.

As to your three option questions, I chose the PSE (in black) as I’m one of the very few that like the single outlet on each side, and I’ve added too many expensive aftermarket exhausts to other cars I’ve owned/own. I’ve heard both systems, and I personally like the sound of the PSE, and you’d really capitalize on the sporty sound with a cabriolet.
PDLS, I opted for it as I have many twisty roads to choose from...but I don’t drive most of them at night as I’d rather not have a Whitetail Deer as a hood ornament. Regardless, I’m staying with it for the supposed extra illumination when I do venture out after dark.
As to surround view, no way, not for me as it has standard front and rear parking sensors with the backup camera as well. But I will rarely ever need to parallel park, as I usually park away from the herd in the North 40.

Congratulations on a beautiful build!
The following users liked this post:
hinckley (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 04:09 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I love everyone's input and I thank you all for it. For a bit of clarity, I'm an older guy and the son of depression-era parents. Anyone else like me knows what that means . . . I'm lucky enough to have earned my way into this very exclusive club, but I still sweat every dollar I spend, especially when it's 150,000 of them on a depreciable asset! With that said, I simply will not spend $155,000 and not be happy. If it takes $170,000 and I can't afford that, I won't buy anything. Simple. So I'm not trying to pinch pennies, but I don't want to spend a dollar on something that I don't need or I won't miss.

Here's what I'm thinking from the input so far . . .
  • I'm going to test drive cars with and without PSE, Sports Suspension and RAS and make those calls. Thankfully Champion Porsche is in my backyard and they have a huge number of cars on the lot.
  • The chrome ring around the PDLS+ is nice but not worth $1270 to me.
  • I'll check out Surround View but am strongly leaning against the extra cost. This will be my third Cab and I've done fine with the dipped mirror, back-up camera and front- and rear-sensors.
  • I do like a car that's somewhat distinctive and wheels are at least as important to me as interior and exterior color. The Spyder Designs just make this car imo, especially with Agate Grey (fwiw, I sometimes think about waiting for the GTS just to get the center locks!).
  • On that distinctive front, I do think that the carbon inserts on the 18-way seats will look very cool (and the 18-ways are a must-have for me). Unless you went to 360 view, you may not have noticed that I'm also opting for black seat centers, and I think that red and black seats with a carbon rear insert will look great. But all that carbon is very expensive and I may back off . . . but I doubt it!
  • I've always opted for the painted sills. I think they visually extend and lower the car. I just looked at my current car again and still think that's the case.
Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate these and future comments.

Last edited by hinckley; 03-16-2020 at 04:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hinckley:
aggie57 (03-16-2020), C6Z06to911992 (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 04:17 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FSB
I'm just trying to help you not to regret after spending $150K+. RAS main advantage on low speed, so it's not only for Côte d'Azur
You may have unwittingly posted the best reply to my thread. I've done six BMW EDs (mine and friend's cars). One was to Portofino, Provence and the Côte d'Azur. I was planning on doing my first Porsche ED with this car (later in the year of course) and I've just now decided to bring the Cab down that same route! Thank you for that!!!!
FSB (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 04:20 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AKSteve
OK, so I should move to Florida when I get tired of steering my car.
Not trying to be facetious or a pr**k, but I'm not sure I get your point.
crimewave (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 04:36 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C6Z06to911992
To the OP, I’m a newbie to Porsche, but I’ve been pining for a 911 since the early eighties. I recently ordered my first 911 somewhat similar to yours, except a PDK Carrera S. I chose the same exterior color/interior color combination, as well as the RS Spyder wheels (they look beautiful, and very sporty with AG) glass sunroof, 18 way sport seats, and on and on. Congratulations on a beautiful build!
Please post pics when you get your car. What's the ETA?
Old 03-16-2020, 04:41 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
Just wanted to say that if you are considering not using the surround view, know:

-because you have memory seats, a feature is enabled that the passenger mirror dips when reversing, very handy for assessing curb distance on the side during parallel park

-the front and rear distance sensors that are standard, include a very nice visual representation of distance, much nicer than the 991.2

so I don’t think you’d go into parking “unassisted” without that.
I think the only thing that has TRULY frustrated me more than anything about my build, and my only regret, is optioning the $440 Sports Plus Seats 4-way. I had absolutely no idea that if I option this and don't get the memory package, my passenger mirror doesn't dip. I thought a dipping passenger mirror dips on most cars as standard and never would have thought to connect memory seats to that function. It's really frustrating because the only thing I need to get a perfect parking job is that passenger mirror dipping down. I didn't know this was the case until I had already received my car.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:11 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 821 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Not trying to be facetious or a pr**k, but I'm not sure I get your point.
Sorry, I was just being sarcastic. I meant that you still have to steer the car no matter where you live.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:17 PM
C6Z06to911992
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Please post pics when you get your car. What's the ETA?
I only placed my order several weeks ago, I spoke with my SA a few days back, my order has no lock in the near future, and according to my SA may now be late summer.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,952 Likes on 5,210 Posts

Surround view on a 911 is a waste.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:54 PM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Won't save much, but a recent thread was very mixed on the light design package. I have RAS and really like it!!
Old 03-16-2020, 11:57 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by crimewave
I think the only thing that has TRULY frustrated me more than anything about my build, and my only regret, is optioning the $440 Sports Plus Seats 4-way. I had absolutely no idea that if I option this and don't get the memory package, my passenger mirror doesn't dip. I thought a dipping passenger mirror dips on most cars as standard and never would have thought to connect memory seats to that function. It's really frustrating because the only thing I need to get a perfect parking job is that passenger mirror dipping down. I didn't know this was the case until I had already received my car.
i don’t like this either, but can live with manually dipping it when needed.
crimewave (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 12:03 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

I wish I could say I was a newbie, but I'm finally working on finalizing an order for my fifth 911 - an MT C2S Cab. In the past, I've always ended up over-optioning my cars because it makes no sense to me spending $140k on a car and not being happy because I left off $10k worth of options. And of course, Porsche is the master of incrementing you to death. My current car - a 2015 991.1 GTS Cab - cost $154k and that was really in nosebleed territory me. So I'm trying to be crazy prudent on optioning the 992. My current spec is just under $156k, but it doesn't include a few things that in the past, I think I would have ordered. So I'd like opinions . . .

Sport Exhaust. Leaving this off saves $2370 (thru the MT Sport Package). It's something I've always had on my 911s and even retro-fitted it on my first one. But to be real, I think it's something that others hear from outside the car more than the driver hears inside the car. And the 992's standard quad tailpipes look sooo much better than the sport exhaust's dual pipes.

PDLS+. Leaving this off saves $1270. I think all I lose is the swivel and leveling functions, right? I can't remember the last time I had any car that didn't have those two features, but I've recently moved to Florida and never drive country roads anymore, so I'm thinking I won't miss them. Frankly, I'm not sure I even notice them now in my other car (a BMW).

Surround View. Leaving this off saves $1430. I've had this on my BMWs for years and it's a great feature. But the 911 is pretty small and easy to maneuver and I've read here that Porsche's implementation isn't very good. So it's easy to leave this option off, except I'm not sure of one thing . . . on the configurator, the option video seems to indicate that the Surround View option includes the front and rear parking sensors (which are very necessary imo) as well as the surround camera. Am I misunderstanding that? Are the front and rear parking sensors standard even without the Surround View option?

Thanks for your help and opinions.
i wouldn’t miss sports exhaust or pdls. I would surround view. What other options do you have spec’d that you might put on the chopping block ?

Quick Reply: Opinions and clarifications on a couple of options