Sponsored by:

Satin Black Lettering

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 03:13 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Satin Black Lettering

As most of you may know, in the configurator there was no option for "911 Carrera S" badge and "PORSCHE" lettering in satin black, only in high gloss black. Because of this, I decided to leave it alone in the configurator and once the car came in, I was going to have the lettering painted in satin black.

Is this something DIY or should I take it to a professional? I'm not sure how the Porsche letters can even be removed without damaging them. Also, how can I make sure the 911 Carrera S is perfectly aligned? I'm just scared I'll be unhappy with the end result and I don't want to deal with the headache. Has anyone had any experience with this so far?

Does anyone know anyone in SoCal area that can do something like this? I understand it's fairly normal and a lot of shops do it but I want to go to someone that really cares about getting it done right. I'm coming from BMW where it's easy to stick on a new badge.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-17-2020, 09:56 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Contact Eric at bumperplugs.com (eric@bumperplugs.com) and I would recommend getting new ones painted and replace yours with those. He painted a pair of rear reflectors on my 991.2 for me and they are perfect, and he has painted countless parts for me over 20 years - better than OEM. Ttell him Bob Z. referred you...I am working with him now.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:57 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Contact Eric at bumperplugs.com (eric@bumperplugs.com) and I would recommend getting new ones painted and replace yours with those. He painted a pair of rear reflectors on my 991.2 for me and they are perfect, and he has painted countless parts for me over 20 years - better than OEM. Ttell him Bob Z. referred you...I am working with him now.
Thanks Bob! Will e-mail him now
Old 03-18-2020, 12:00 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crimewave
Thanks Bob! Will e-mail him now
Be sure to send him a picture as well!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:04 AM
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 97 Posts

Plasti-dip
Old 03-18-2020, 12:16 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2020
Plasti-dip
If one is teenager that spends a lot of time on YouTube that is fine but I would never do it to my car. I know others here have but nothing beats a quality paint job that lasts.
The following users liked this post:
crimewave (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 02:50 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

You don't need to be a teenager or spend a lot of time on YT to use plasti-dip geez. I used it on my Macan Turbo and it's held up very well over 6 years. That said, I agree that a professional paint job or OEM badges in satin black are better. I'm not certain how one would plasti-dip the PORSCHE badge, but I'm sure it can be done with a carefully placed mask around each letter.
crimewave (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 08:21 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

As most of you may know, in the configurator there was no option for "911 Carrera S" badge and "PORSCHE" lettering in satin black, only in high gloss black. Because of this, I decided to leave it alone in the configurator and once the car came in, I was going to have the lettering painted in satin black.

Is this something DIY or should I take it to a professional? I'm not sure how the Porsche letters can even be removed without damaging them. Also, how can I make sure the 911 Carrera S is perfectly aligned? I'm just scared I'll be unhappy with the end result and I don't want to deal with the headache. Has anyone had any experience with this so far?

Does anyone know anyone in SoCal area that can do something like this? I understand it's fairly normal and a lot of shops do it but I want to go to someone that really cares about getting it done right. I'm coming from BMW where it's easy to stick on a new badge.

Thanks in advance!
Problem solved . Matte black OEM

Old 03-19-2020, 06:45 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Squires9914s
Problem solved . Matte black OEM

Just ordered this today. It turns out that the lettering is a part of that rear trim and since I just ordered the 911 Carrera S badge in satin black, I think I am going to have the ENTIRE rear 'Porsche' trim painted in satin black too... I might be crazy but i think it might look badass!
Old 03-19-2020, 09:39 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I agree! For what it is worth Eric paints all parts - I had a front spoiler lip sent to him for painting.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:11 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I agree! For what it is worth Eric paints all parts - I had a front spoiler lip sent to him for painting.
Yep I'm having Eric do it all- thanks so much for the suggestion man!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:22 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Yep I'm having Eric do it all- thanks so much for the suggestion man!
Cool, make sure you update this thread with pics when you get it all done!
Old 03-20-2020, 03:47 AM
Squires9914s
Racer

Just ordered this today. It turns out that the lettering is a part of that rear trim and since I just ordered the 911 Carrera S badge in satin black, I think I am going to have the ENTIRE rear 'Porsche' trim painted in satin black too... I might be crazy but i think it might look badass!
Did you buy your 992 from Porsche downtown LA ? I’m shopping around and most dealers in SoCal willing to do $3000-4000 discount max. Any suggestion would be appreciated . Thanks
crimewave (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:19 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Squires9914s
Did you buy your 992 from Porsche downtown LA ? I’m shopping around and most dealers in SoCal willing to do $3000-4000 discount max. Any suggestion would be appreciated . Thanks
Yes, I did! Call and ask for Kelly and tell him that Nafis sent you. He got me 4% off of my build, and got me a really fair trade-in value for my M4. He's a no-BS kinda guy and will tell it like it is. They're a high-volume dealership so they're willing to work with you.

Interestingly enough, this was my first time ever custom ordering a car, and my first Porsche. I was not aware that I needed to negotiate a discount before placing my order. I just placed the order one day, and while browsing rennlist people were talking about which dealerships were giving discounts on allocations. I texted Kelly and asked him about it, and he told me I had agreed to ordering the car without a discount being negotiated. We agreed that 4% was fair and he was able to do that for me when he didn't have to. Mistake on my part that won't happen again but I'm glad he was very understanding!!

edit: the msrp of my build was 142,990 so it came out to around 6k off the MSRP
Old 03-20-2020, 09:56 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Yes, I did! Call and ask for Kelly and tell him that Nafis sent you. He got me 4% off of my build, and got me a really fair trade-in value for my M4. He's a no-BS kinda guy and will tell it like it is. They're a high-volume dealership so they're willing to work with you.

Interestingly enough, this was my first time ever custom ordering a car, and my first Porsche. I was not aware that I needed to negotiate a discount before placing my order. I just placed the order one day, and while browsing rennlist people were talking about which dealerships were giving discounts on allocations. I texted Kelly and asked him about it, and he told me I had agreed to ordering the car without a discount being negotiated. We agreed that 4% was fair and he was able to do that for me when he didn't have to. Mistake on my part that won't happen again but I'm glad he was very understanding!!

edit: the msrp of my build was 142,990 so it came out to around 6k off the MSRP
thank you so much I will hit him up right after all this self quarantine things. 4% is sound good to me
crimewave (03-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Satin Black Lettering