Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate solution to sticking BlackVue rear camera directly onto windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 06:59 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Alternate solution to sticking BlackVue rear camera directly onto windshield

I’ve always managed to avoid sticking anything with semi permanent adhesive onto my windshield in the past. Usually I’ve made it work with suction mounts but just recently got the Blackvue 900 2-channel setup. Frankly I’m surprised that a device as popular as this doesn’t yet have a suction mount available, so I went ahead and ordered a Blendmount for the auto dimming rear view mirror in my 992, which solves the issue for the front camera. Unfortunately there aren’t any options available for the rear camera so I’m wondering if there are any of you with nifty ideas or suggestions.

Could be a great idea for a Kickstarter campaign!
Old 03-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 95 Posts

I put a strip of black vinyl wrap on the windshield and then use adhesive tape to mount the camera onto that. This way you can pull off the vinyl without any residue.
The following users liked this post:
darkblack (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 07:18 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I mounted a camera inside on the rear glass using the 3M VHB tape - and I cleanly removed it when I sold the car. It was a little work to remove (took some alcohol and scraping with a razor) but it came off without any residue or scratching. I was extra careful to avoid the heating elements both when I mounted it, and when I removed it. Just saying, it can be done.
darkblack (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 08:35 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,373 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
I mounted a camera inside on the rear glass using the 3M VHB tape - and I cleanly removed it when I sold the car. It was a little work to remove (took some alcohol and scraping with a razor) but it came off without any residue or scratching. I was extra careful to avoid the heating elements both when I mounted it, and when I removed it. Just saying, it can be done.
Same here, 3x
Old 03-14-2020, 04:07 AM
OmniBlade
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I got the DR900S-2ch also, unfortunately I stuck it to the glass directly and out of curiosity I tried to pull it back off and was unable. I felt like I was going to break the camera or pop off with such force I’d break myself or the car. So I left it, good thing I got the placement right on the first try!
Old 03-14-2020, 10:05 AM
darkblack
Instructor

I like the idea of sticking a film first and putting the camera on the film instead of directly on glass. I looked up tint film on Amazon but most of them are non adhesive so I was wondering if it would still work or would the weight of the camera keep pulling it off.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:07 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Originally Posted by OmniBlade
I got the DR900S-2ch also, unfortunately I stuck it to the glass directly and out of curiosity I tried to pull it back off and was unable. I felt like I was going to break the camera or pop off with such force I’d break myself or the car. So I left it, good thing I got the placement right on the first try!
How are you liking it? Are you using a battery pack for parking mode or hardwired?
OmniBlade (03-15-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 11:00 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniBlade
Leave it out in the sun to heat (or use a hairdryer). Twisting motion to break the adhesive . A razor blade can also help.
OmniBlade (03-15-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 11:47 AM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Some pics, pls
Old 03-15-2020, 07:08 PM
OmniBlade
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblack
How are you liking it? Are you using a battery pack for parking mode or hardwired?
I really like it, I am using a 1080p camera in my Macan GTS and thinking about upgrading. The WiFi and setup seems a lot better than the Compustar version. I also have it set up to "garage" connect WiFi when I park at home so I can access the camera from my computer or cell phone while inside my house.
I am using the Power Magic Pro directly wired to my fuse box. Felt safer than a rechargeable battery getting unpredictable charging and usage times stored near my feet.

Originally Posted by FSB
Some pics, pls
Wasn't sure if you were talking to me, here are some interior pics of mounting and placement. I tried to take some pictures from outside the vehicle but it was too bright out and couldn't see much. From the rear view mirror I can JUST BARELY see the rear camera, the roof lining hides it well.
Action images were taken on a cloudy day, could post some better ones in the day/night if required.

BlackVue from camera mounted just forward of mirror.

BlackVue from camera mounted just forward of mirror.

Rear Camera Mounted center rear window, as high as I could get it without touching any heating elements.

Fuse panel wiring, takes seconds to remove if needed. (Fuse panel cover removed for photo)

View from the front camera.

View from the rear camera.

The following 2 users liked this post by OmniBlade:
darkblack (03-16-2020), darkknight26 (03-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Alternate solution to sticking BlackVue rear camera directly onto windshield