Sponsored by:

992 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 04:01 PM
Talvandi
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 992 Build

I've been playing around with the configurator for quite some time now and came up with the build below. I haven't had time to visit a dealership to check out some of the options in person so I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations on a few things. This build includes the 18 way seats but the 14 way option seems to be much more common, is there a big enough improvement/difference to support the additional cost? I plan to try them out in person before placing my order but was curious if anyone actually went with the 18 way option. The next option is the surround view, I'm assuming that the standard vehicle still includes a back-up camera and front/back sensors but does the surround view add anything beyond making it a bit easier to parallel park? Not sure about this one, I may end up removing it but would love some feedback from people who have it and use it on a daily basis. The last item that i'm still debating on is the carbon fiber roof. I don't care for a sunroof and I love the color contrast of the carbon fiber against the white paint, must have? Looking forward to some feedback and if I missed any "must have" options, please let me know.

PLTF8J77
http://www.porsche-code.com/PLTF8J77

Cheers!
Old 02-29-2020, 04:05 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

I went with the 18 way seats and about 6k miles in, they’re pretty fantastic.

I didn’t go with Park Assist, because the standard rear camera and sensors are perfectly adequate. Porsche’s camera system isn’t super great.

The carbon fiber roof wasn’t an option when I spec’d my car. It’s a great option as it removes weight from up top. That being said, if you leave your car parked outside in the sun for extended periods, there are some downsides with the carbon fiber roof, even with UV clear coats. Some additional care may be required.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:10 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

After owning several cars with surround view, not having it is a deal killer for me. Great for avoiding wheel stops and curbs (especially at bank or other drive throughs) and getting centered in parking spaces.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:20 PM
Talvandi
Track Day

Thanks so much, I feel like the 18 way would be the best option for me since I tend to have lower back issues on longer drives, I think its worth the money.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 04:23 PM
Talvandi
Track Day

I've accidentally driven over plenty of parking blocks with my past cars and hate that moment when you have to back up and listen to the scrapping, makes me cringe thinking about it LOL. I could see this being helpful to avoid situations like this.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:36 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

I’ll just note to OP that if you get memory seats, the passenger mirror tilts down when reversing, pretty nice assist in avoiding curb rash when parallel parking, so kind of adds to the capabilities of the standard parking aids.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hp12c:
detansinn (02-29-2020), Talvandi (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 06:57 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,283 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I went with the 18 way seats and about 6k miles in, they’re pretty fantastic.

I didn’t go with Park Assist, because the standard rear camera and sensors are perfectly adequate. Porsche’s camera system isn’t super great.

The carbon fiber roof wasn’t an option when I spec’d my car. It’s a great option as it removes weight from up top. That being said, if you leave your car parked outside in the sun for extended periods, there are some downsides with the carbon fiber roof, even with UV clear coats. Some additional care may be required.
carbon fiber roof won’t add maintenance. I’ve got it on my M3 and it’s arguably held up better than the painted surfaces. And it lived out on the street in the sun with a tree dropping **** on it for 3 years
Old 02-29-2020, 10:42 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

The 14-way are the Sport Seats, the 18-way are the Sports Seats Plus. They feel different, enough so for me that I would not get the 14-way. In fact, I’d rather have the 4-way Plus than the 14-way Sport Seats. But it would be best l if you could sit in each and decide for yourself.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:13 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

I think surround view works well and is a must have. As others have said, try both seats and see what you like better. I have the 18 way seats in my Macan and they’re great. I opted for the 14 way seats in my 992 and am really happy with my choice.

Last edited by slwong23; 03-01-2020 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-01-2020, 12:04 PM
Carrera3:16
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

You definitely want to sit in the Sports Seats and Sports Seats Plus and compare them...if possible try all 4 versions (4, 4, 14 and 18)...this may be tough though since about 90% of the 992s on Dealer Lots are all 14 Way Sport Seats. I was shocked how different the 18 way feel from the 14 way and it truly is a preference. I would categorize the Sports Seats Plus as more aggressive. I love the Carbon Roof but such an expensive add-on. I ended up going with the Glass Sunroof and it was really only because of the look and natural light it will let into the car...i will probably hardly ever open it but that natural light it lets in and look on the top make it a solid upgrade in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:28 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera3:16
I ended up going with the Glass Sunroof and it was really only because of the look and natural light it will let into the car...i will probably hardly ever open it but that natural light it lets in and look on the top make it a solid upgrade in my opinion.
I elected to go with no sunroof. I personally like the classic look of the painted roof without any additional breaks and I knew that I would never open the retractable top since it is external, does not look that good open, and the opening is rather small.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
I elected to go with no sunroof. I personally like the classic look of the painted roof without any additional breaks and I knew that I would never open the retractable top since it is external, does not look that good open, and the opening is rather small.
It’s also lighter. I went with PCCB, Sport Plus 4 ways and no sunroof. Probably close to the lightest config you can get for a c2s.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:06 PM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

My car has the 18 way seats. Took about 10 minutes to customize them to my body and they are very comfortable! I wanted the surround view, but was not to be. I'm comfortable without it, but would be nice. There is a separate thread on that specifically you might want to review.

Quick Reply: 992 Build