Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Important is PDLS for You?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020 | 08:35 AM
Juan.Valencia
Intermediate

Default How Important is PDLS for You?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on my 992. Built one on the site, sent it to dealer, was negotiating, blah, blah, blah.... It then occurred to me to ask him to search available inventory before I ordered mine. We want a Miami Blue Cabriolet. Has to be Miami Blue (for me); has to be a cabriolet (for my wife). The dealer sends me this code for a car is currently "on the ground", though not sure where. It is built pretty much the same way I had built mine... except it does not have PDLS. Also, it has LCA rather than LKA, but I'm OK with that. Doesn't have Premium Package, but it has all the elements of Premium Package (sans PDLS and LKA).

So, my question for the group: how important is PDLS for you? Would this be a show-stopper? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2020 | 08:51 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Not important

Last edited by rk-d; 02-28-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2020 | 09:20 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

I've haven't ordered yet, but I'm configuring my 992 cab without PDLS. It'll be the first time in a very long time that I won't have this functionality in a car, but I can't justify the price just to have my headlamps swivel.
Old 02-28-2020 | 09:20 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Not really a showstopper. It's a nice-to-have but... swiveling headlights? Dynamic range? Things I could live without given the right incentives.
At this point, evaluate if you "have to have it now" (or if you can get a great deal on an already built car) or if you're OK waiting for what you exactly want.
Old 02-28-2020 | 10:24 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Juan.Valencia
Getting ready to pull the trigger on my 992. Built one on the site, sent it to dealer, was negotiating, blah, blah, blah.... It then occurred to me to ask him to search available inventory before I ordered mine. We want a Miami Blue Cabriolet. Has to be Miami Blue (for me); has to be a cabriolet (for my wife). The dealer sends me this code for a car is currently "on the ground", though not sure where. It is built pretty much the same way I had built mine... except it does not have PDLS. Also, it has LCA rather than LKA, but I'm OK with that. Doesn't have Premium Package, but it has all the elements of Premium Package (sans PDLS and LKA).

So, my question for the group: how important is PDLS for you? Would this be a show-stopper? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
I got it, but I have to wait for the US government approve all the features.
Old 02-28-2020 | 10:39 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Not sure this is a proper answer to your question but...

i have PDLS+ Matrix in Europe ie fully functional.

If I’m honest, I think the PDLS on my 991 were better. Perhaps not as clever (protecting oncoming traffic) but they lit the road up and the surrounding area like it was daytime. The matrix lights don’t. Or so it seems to me.

So, I’m not sure I’d be too concerned about not having the most expensive 992 headlights, because I’m not sure that they truly translate into ‘better’ nighttime lighting. I think they’re just cleverer.
The following users liked this post:
dj997 (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020 | 11:28 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Getting ready to pull the trigger on my 992...... So, my question for the group: how important is PDLS for you? Would this be a show-stopper? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
I think the better question is ... is it worth a 3-4 month wait to you and your wife? I'm guessing the answer is no.
Old 02-28-2020 | 01:42 PM
Juan.Valencia
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JHesketh
Not sure this is a proper answer to your question but...

i have PDLS+ Matrix in Europe ie fully functional.

If I’m honest, I think the PDLS on my 991 were better. Perhaps not as clever (protecting oncoming traffic) but they lit the road up and the surrounding area like it was daytime. The matrix lights don’t. Or so it seems to me.

So, I’m not sure I’d be too concerned about not having the most expensive 992 headlights, because I’m not sure that they truly translate into ‘better’ nighttime lighting. I think they’re just cleverer.
Great answer, actually. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020 | 01:48 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For US cars, yes to PDLS+, no to Matrix. There’s no guarantee that the Matrix lights will ever be approved, let alone approved as-is. The US may require a hardware change, so, it will likely not be a simple matter of a software update.

PDLS+ is totally worth it for night driving. Excellent illumination and the lights point to where the car is going. I also love the the automatic high beams.

Last edited by detansinn; 02-28-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2020 | 02:38 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Not important
Made a mistake here - for some reason, I read your post as PDCC.

PDLS was actually important for me. I ordered the PDLS+ matrix lights with the black housing. Matrix lights are probably a waste of money in the US, but I chose it because I think the light itself looks alot better. This was one option I didn't waffle on.

I'd pass on a car without it. That and PCCBs are hard to find on built cars on the lot.
Old 02-28-2020 | 08:35 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

IF the price is right, that wouldn't bother me much honestly. The lights are already pretty good standard...also LKA is annoying as hell...LCA is better anyways.
Old 02-28-2020 | 09:30 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Not worth waiting for. It's one of those nice to have, should absolutely not cost what it does options that Porsche is famous for. Like power folding mirrors or lane change assist ($1000!). I could see it being more important if you live in a mostly rural or dark neighborhood, but if you're in the suburbs/city it's just not really dark enough normally for it to matter going around corners.
Old 02-29-2020 | 12:11 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
For US cars, yes to PDLS+, no to Matrix. There’s no guarantee that the Matrix lights will ever be approved, let alone approved as-is. The US may require a hardware change, so, it will likely not be a simple matter of a software update.

PDLS+ is totally worth it for night driving. Excellent illumination and the lights point to where the car is going. I also love the the automatic high beams.
Considering that Canadian cars with the Matrix lights are already coming with the Euro adaptive function enabled, it seems to me that it is at least possible the functionality could be available through a PIWIS update and not require a hardware change if the NHTSA ever gets around to issuing a final rule.
Old 02-29-2020 | 01:35 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Considering that Canadian cars with the Matrix lights are already coming with the Euro adaptive function enabled, it seems to me that it is at least possible the functionality could be available through a PIWIS update and not require a hardware change if the NHTSA ever gets around to issuing a final rule.
We’re the country that did this for years...

...and we insist on glass mirrors for some reason as well. I am less than optimistic that we will see approval any time soon.

Quick Reply: How Important is PDLS for You?