Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sliplo

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020 | 11:01 PM
jkwb
Instructor

Default Sliplo

Has anyone ever tried this stuff to protect the front bumper? My build has the sport fascia which looks lower than standard and just looking for ways to protect it in New England.
Old 02-25-2020 | 12:47 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

I have it all over the bottom front of the car.. so far it HAS saved my right air dam (not spoiler lip) a major scuffing... apply it while the car is brand new for it to stick well.

Old 02-25-2020 | 10:48 AM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

I have it on my Huracan. It's saved several parts of the front bumper over the last year. I've had to replace a couple pieces and they sort of suck to deal with until you blast them on social media. That's my only gripe.
Old 02-25-2020 | 11:28 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Sliplo (as shown in the video on their website) would totally eff up underbody aero. I wouldn’t put that product on a Honda Civic.
Old 02-25-2020 | 11:49 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Sliplo (as shown in the video on their website) would totally eff up underbody aero. I wouldn’t put that product on a Honda Civic.
non-sense... unless you're reaching speeds above 200mph, I bought they would have any affect based on where they are being installed..
Old 02-25-2020 | 12:01 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 992Sam
non-sense... unless you're reaching speeds above 200mph, I bought they would have any affect based on where they are being installed..
I think not "nonsense." Aerodynamics 101. The airflow management under a high-performance car works in concert with body aero. Even the slight change in the front lip depth and angle of attack on a SPASM-equipped car is designed to affect aero. Anything under the leading edge of the lip of a car with carefully designed underbody trays would totally mess up the airflow under the car. Would you feel it at 70 mph? Probably not. At 160 mph, yes...unless of course the 3m tape has already let go loll.

Last edited by gcurnew; 02-25-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2020 | 12:47 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I think not "nonsense." Aerodynamics 101. The airflow management under a high-performance car works in concert with body aero. Even the slight change in the front lip depth and angle of attack on a SPASM-equipped car is designed to affect aero. Anything under the leading edge of the lip of a car with carefully designed underbody trays would totally mess up the airflow under the car. Would you feel it at 70 mph? Probably not. At 160 mph, yes...unless of course the 3m tape has already let go loll.
I’m making my living flying airplanes and have a engineering degree ... you’re not far off the mark, but you’re missing the point... if you look at the underside of the car there are many areas of parasite drag that would wreak more havoc than there do and yet the car remains planted at 192mph... unless you’re taking this car to speeds well past this.. I’m certain these will have no real effect. We’d have to hire a wind tunnel to prove me or you wrong but common sense says at speeds used on civilian roads this is a non issue.

furthermore it has no affect on the lip.. this all mounts up above that area and well back of it.
The following users liked this post:
phangstaz (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020 | 01:52 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Never said it had anything to do with the lip. I used the SPASM lip as an example of how a slight change affects aero. Porsche has done the wind tunnel testing to ensure under-body airflow is as clean as possible, through to the back of the car where the air exit is managed through the rear valance/diffuser; this product will disrupt that airflow. The question is how much, and to what degree it will upset aero balance at speed. When I was racing, even small changes to front and rear spoiler profile (and one weekend where less-than-optimal positioning of brake ducting disrupted the underbody airflow) affected high speed-stability. On the street, most owners would never be impacted; on the track (or on a non speed-restricted road) at 125 to 190+ mph is a different story.

People are free to put whatever products they want on their car, but I'm of the mind that Porsche aero is very finely tuned and putting anything in the airflow without knowing the precise effect it will have is pure folly. If a part is race-tested or there is wind tunnel data made available, the effect may not be problematic. My point, with which you clearly disagree, is these Mickey Mouse stick-ons will affect underbody airflow and thus have no place on a 992 or any other modern high-performance car with sophisticated aero management.

Last edited by gcurnew; 02-25-2020 at 05:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
detansinn (02-25-2020), Russ Bryant (02-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Sliplo