Sponsored by:

992 trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 07:04 AM
leloupgris
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I used this bolt instead for my Negative Ground. It fits the round connecter on the wire better.

Originally Posted by westcoastj
Does anyone know if there is a 6mm ground bolt location? I'm trying to hardwire it so can accept charger and boost in case battery dies so I can boost without opening the frunk, but the kit I'm looking at only has m6 size.

https://no.co/gbc007
I used the same bolt as the one in the picture of @Autobacs post, the one circled in blue. Works great. CTEK charger.
The following users liked this post:
Love_Tacos_911 (12-17-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 07:34 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 854 Likes on 394 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a 6mm ground bolt location? I'm trying to hardwire it so can accept charger and boost in case battery dies so I can boost without opening the frunk, but the kit I'm looking at only has m6 size.

simply enlarge the hole with a drill to 8mm - plenty of “meat” in the ring terminal

thats what I did for the ground using same harness

Last edited by audi4t; 05-07-2023 at 07:36 AM.
westcoastj (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 11:54 AM
Jacon
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Is anyone actually testing the voltage across some of these more obscure bolt locations?

Connecting to a random bolt out of convenience rather than a ground effective location or grounding lug seems misguided. Anyone verified their bolt location with a meter?

I also wouldn’t be connecting to a location with a plug sensor tied into it. If the wire lug from the charger doesn’t fit, then change and crimp on a larger lug.

The main wire harness grounding location is right behind the battery. Why not use that?

Last edited by Jacon; 05-07-2023 at 11:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jacon:
Icegrill (05-07-2023), westcoastj (05-07-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 05:46 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

So just a quick update. On my Porsche Charge-o-mat, it indicated battery was full. Bought a Noco Genius 5, and when I hooked it up to the battery, it showed only 50% charged...
Old 05-08-2023, 07:58 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 754 Posts

So just a quick update. On my Porsche Charge-o-mat, it indicated battery was full. Bought a Noco Genius 5, and when I hooked it up to the battery, it showed only 50% charged...
After how long? Whenever you plug in a tender, it will go through a series of checks to determine charge status. Even after you drive your porsche for a long while, if you get home and plug it in, it will take time to show fully charged, even though it is fully charged.

My Cetek will do the same, if you unplug leave for a few minutes and plug it in - it does not show full charge right away.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:55 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 430 Likes on 210 Posts

The nut on the battery hold down is 6mm, that is what I am using and seems to be tendering (charging) just fine.
westcoastj (05-09-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 03:04 AM
sensei_tts
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 98 Posts

good thread. ok, so i've confirmed i have a lithium battery (LiFeP04). i ordered the 4.5 amp battery tender since i already use that brand with no problem on three other vehicles. positive is obvious. ground has options, nut on strut tower, 6mm on battery hold down, etc. did i miss anything?

the only thing i didn't see was a response to the point about metering the ground. the tender gets delivered tomorrow. i'll prob just choose one of the two examples posted here.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:57 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 208 Posts

Not sure if this is a repost, from my dealer:Please read through, this has been coming up a lot lately, so it’s important for all of us to know this when advising customers about vehicle storage.

We have learned over the past few months, that the 992s need their battery maintainers connected directly to the battery using battery clamps(available thru parts for approx.. $30). You cannotuse the 12V outlet in the passenger footwell because the power supply to the outlet is turned off by the battery protection feature.

The red clamp (+) can be connected directly to the battery. The black clamp (-) needs to be connected to the ground terminal as shown below (not on the battery).

We have also found that the adaptor/plug for the clamps that the battery maintainer plugs into (circled in yellow at top right of photo) can sometimes have a spotty connection. If the charger is resetting or going into standby mode (only power light is on or flashing) make sure to give that connection a wiggle or a turn until the battery maintainer shows a state of charge again.

If you have any questions, please come see me so that you’re clear before advising customers.

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/bd7830ac-2747-4351-96f4-107557672127[/img]

Additional photos for reference that may be helpful:

If the power light is on or flashing, and no state of charge is lit up, it is not doing anything.
  1. Check the connector for the clamps as I mentioned above
  2. Make sure the clamps are still attached properly to the battery terminals
  3. Make sure it is still plugged into the wall outlet.
[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/1df916e9-598b-45bb-8eae-743e0d9c93fc[/img]

You can select the car mode, or Li-ion mode, and the state of charge light will illuminate in orange. As the battery charges, the light will move up to full charge.

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/72415190-c811-40d8-a3c4-39dcbd72a0d7[/img]

This is what a happy maintainer looks like.

Depending on the level of charge/condition the battery is at when the maintainer is hooked up, it can take anywhere from 1hr to 48hrs to reach fully charged as shown below.

(If it does not reach fully charged, the battery may be discharged and not able to reach that level.)

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/c84c3add-4387-48ba-b311-6ebd4780228b[/img]

Happy maintainer shown in Li-ion mode:

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/4fa6c515-a95f-435e-8eaa-6f03e9a32887[/img]

Jessie Richards

Workshop Manager
Old 06-06-2023, 05:39 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 430 Likes on 210 Posts

This is how I have mine and again it seems to be tendering (charging) fine with this setup.

The following 3 users liked this post by Motorin Mark:
Icegrill (01-05-2024), Love_Tacos_911 (12-17-2023), sensei_tts (06-06-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 02:09 PM
sensei_tts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KenTO
Not sure if this is a repost, from my dealer:Please read through, this has been coming up a lot lately, so it’s important for all of us to know this when advising customers about vehicle storage.
Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
This is how I have mine and again it seems to be tendering (charging) fine with this setup.
do either of you (or anyone else) happen to know the nut thread size for the positive terminal? the unused bolt that requires a new nut. bought some last night and didn't get it right. lol.

Last edited by sensei_tts; 06-07-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 954 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by sensei_tts
do either of you (or anyone else) happen to know the nut thread size for the positive terminal? the unused bolt that requires a new nut. bought some last night and didn't get it right. lol.

6mm flange nut
sensei_tts (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 05:46 PM
sensei_tts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Icegrill
6mm flange nut
tyvm.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:56 PM
rgb2cmyk
5th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

A post from seemingly a trusted source, and the picture links don’t work. Sigh.

Originally Posted by KenTO

We have learned over the past few months, that the 992s need their battery maintainers connected directly to the battery using battery clamps(available thru parts for approx.. $30). You cannotuse the 12V outlet in the passenger footwell because the power supply to the outlet is turned off by the battery protection feature.

The red clamp (+) can be connected directly to the battery. The black clamp (-) needs to be connected to the ground terminal as shown below (not on the battery).

We have also found that the adaptor/plug for the clamps that the battery maintainer plugs into (circled in yellow at top right of photo) can sometimes have a spotty connection. If the charger is resetting or going into standby mode (only power light is on or flashing) make sure to give that connection a wiggle or a turn until the battery maintainer shows a state of charge again.

If you have any questions, please come see me so that you’re clear before advising customers.

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/bd7830ac-2747-4351-96f4-107557672127[/img]

Additional photos for reference that may be helpful:

If the power light is on or flashing, and no state of charge is lit up, it is not doing anything.
  1. Check the connector for the clamps as I mentioned above
  2. Make sure the clamps are still attached properly to the battery terminals
  3. Make sure it is still plugged into the wall outlet.
[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/1df916e9-598b-45bb-8eae-743e0d9c93fc[/img]

You can select the car mode, or Li-ion mode, and the state of charge light will illuminate in orange. As the battery charges, the light will move up to full charge.

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/72415190-c811-40d8-a3c4-39dcbd72a0d7[/img]

This is what a happy maintainer looks like.

Depending on the level of charge/condition the battery is at when the maintainer is hooked up, it can take anywhere from 1hr to 48hrs to reach fully charged as shown below.

(If it does not reach fully charged, the battery may be discharged and not able to reach that level.)

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/c84c3add-4387-48ba-b311-6ebd4780228b[/img]

Happy maintainer shown in Li-ion mode:

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/4fa6c515-a95f-435e-8eaa-6f03e9a32887[/img]

Jessie Richards

Workshop Manager
Old 12-19-2023, 07:04 PM
Love_Tacos_911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leloupgris
I used the same bolt as the one in the picture of @Autobacs post, the one circled in blue. Works great. CTEK charger.
works like a charm, thanks for that rec.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:44 PM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GD214
My dealer recommended against attaching the charger to the same negative post the battery uses. They recommended using a nearby bolt for the ground. I used this one and it works well. For jump starting, they recommend the same bolt on the other side of the engine. I think in fear of sparking so close to the battery. That post is too far for a trickle charger though.

This is the charger I have. My battery is also AGM, not lithium.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hey guys,

I'm trying to install a CTEK battery tender on my 992 (w/ AGM battery) and could use some advice. It seems like there are multiple ways to skin this cat, and I'm planning on following the instructions above since they seem pretty clear.

Electricity is not something I really have an understanding of, so I wanted to confirm my understanding of the steps required to implement this. Here are the steps below as I understand it (steps 1-6). What I'm a bit confused about is whether I need to remove the bolt for the negative at all (step 1 in my image below), since I'm not using this bolt for the battery tender. I'm assuming the answer is still yes. I've read elsewhere (see here) that this bolt doesn't come off, so if the answer is yes, I'm not quite sure how to proceed...

Could anyone help me verify my understanding?

Also, I assume that when I go to remove the positive and negative terminal, I should lift the entire clamp off to disconnect it. Is that right?

Apologies in advance for what I'm sure is a pretty low level question. Should've paid more attention in high school. Appreciate any advice!

Last edited by Arroqueno; 12-25-2023 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 trickle charger