Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 C4S arrived today - need advice on pick-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 04:46 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

If you're paying for the ppt and pay ahead of time, not sure they will care about that...its a value ad for the next guy, and they can probably charge twice for it...but yeah they should also be able to hold the car for two weeks.

Last edited by sechsgang; 02-16-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:06 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Every vehicle I've purchased witih PPF done by the dealer (two different dealers now) they have installed it before final payment. Why wouldn't they? They do all the PDI work before you've paid too.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,677 Likes on 5,111 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Every vehicle I've purchased witih PPF done by the dealer (two different dealers now) they have installed it before final payment. Why wouldn't they? They do all the PDI work before you've paid too.
PDI is different. They technically cannot or should not be selling the car before PDI. It's also free to the buyer.

PPF is optional, and an extra cost.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:13 PM
bradporsche
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
PDI is different. They technically cannot or should not be selling the car before PDI. It's also free to the buyer.

PPF and ceramic coating will be included in my final bill of sale along with the other $25,000 or so in options I've added to my 992.
I'm not sure why the dealer installed options should be treated any differently that the options the 911 shipped with.

I think it would be different if a third party were installing PPF and ceramic coating, but, since it's being provided by the Porsche Centre, why wouldn't I just pay for it all at once based on the T's & C's of my contract.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I have no advice, but I do want to tell the tale of a long distance car purchase. My son and I drove from Pennsylvania to South Carolina to trade in his Mini on an Audi TT. We left home at 6 a.m., picked up the new car, and drove straight back home. The total drive time was about 20 hours.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:26 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

That SA sounds like a jerk. You just purchased a six-figure vehicle and he's not thinking about how you could buy another one from him if he plays things right and treats you with the Golden Rule in mind. I'll never understand people in business who are not customer obsessed.

Looks like you have a ton of leverage per the April 1 contract date. Just shoot him an email reminding him of the contract date and state you'd be happy to put another small deposit on the car to show him you're going to eventually pick up the car. If he can't get that through his skull, go straight to the owner of the location, or the GM.

I have a contact who owns several dealers (Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc.) I once had a bad experience at the dealership with an SA and started to walk out. He just happened to be coming in and saw the perturbed look on my face. With a big smile and enthusiasm, he asked if I was being helped and if there was anything they could do to make my experience "truly exceptional." Judging by his $7K tailored suit and $50K Rolex, I could tell he owned the place. I explained what had happened and he immediately got his head of sales to assign me to another SA. I got taken care of immediately. It ended up being a great experience. He was and is customer obsessed.

A week later when I went into the dealership, I found out the guy I had been dealing with wasn't there any longer. I don't know if his dismissal and my experience were related, but I bet the owner had something to say about it since he is customer obsessed.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:54 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Like others said, tell SA you will pay for PPF now w CC and for them to have it ready when you arrive. Then when you arrive, you pay for car and it is ready to go.

proper PPF takes one day, they need to wash and prep surface, then apply film. So you want to get this done before you arrive. Also certain it is done by 3rd party so car is shipped out. I had my car delivered w PPF, had to wait 3 days
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

PDI isn't free...

Anything on the invoice for the purchase of the vehicle should be done before purchase. My last vehicle they had my second set of winter wheels/tired installed on the vehicle (summers bagged and ready to go in my other vehicle), PPF done, everything prior to me handing them the cheque.

It would be like going to a resteraunt and ordering a sandwich but they only bring you the plate until you pay and only then do you get the sandwich.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:37 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

What happens when picking car up at PEC LA or Atlanta? Pretty sure they need payment before you pick the car up.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:05 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by moomin
What happens when picking car up at PEC LA or Atlanta? Pretty sure they need payment before you pick the car up.
to pick up at PEC vehicle needs to be fully paid for and confirmed by selling dealer. I've picked up two ar PEC LA.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:29 PM
ElMills
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

They just wanted to get it in by mid month close. My god RListers.. theres no "coercion" nor is anyone "your bitch"

You ordered a car, it came early.. you guys may be SHOCKED and APPALLED (get your lawyers and congressman on the phone) but the Sales Advisor doesn't get paid til they actually SELL THE CAR. Not the deposit, not the order demands... not the Jalopnik article about the 992.2 GT3 Cabriolet.. So, yes, the car came early. You're clearly paying cash so if it its ok with you, they can get the paperwork and payment out of the way and then plan the delivery for when it works for you. It doesn't sound like he is REQUIRING anything, just asking. I love how quickly 'floor plan', 'not your problem', they are trying to 'F' you comes into play on here. If you have a good, customer focused advisor he should have no problem waiting for you.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:31 PM
brad47
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElMills
They just wanted to get it in by mid month close. My god RListers.. theres no "coercion" nor is anyone "your bitch"

You ordered a car, it came early.. you guys may be SHOCKED and APPALLED (get your lawyers and congressman on the phone) but the Sales Advisor doesn't get paid til they actually SELL THE CAR. Not the deposit, not the order demands... not the Jalopnik article about the 992.2 GT3 Cabriolet.. So, yes, the car came early. You're clearly paying cash so if it its ok with you, they can get the paperwork and payment out of the way and then plan the delivery for when it works for you. It doesn't sound like he is REQUIRING anything, just asking. I love how quickly 'floor plan', 'not your problem', they are trying to 'F' you comes into play on here. If you have a good, customer focused advisor he should have no problem waiting for you.
My primary concern is paying the full invoice price for the 911 without setting eyes on it.

Are you recommending I do that? Is this something others have done?

This is my first Porsche, so wasn't sure if expectations are different here, hence the post.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:37 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 243 Posts

Brad, you are doing the right thing, you should be able to view the car before signing and paying. It sounds like you are really only asking the dealer to wait 1.5 weeks because PDI and prep of the car will take a few days. I don't think you are asking a lot, be polite and firm. What's with the 2 accounts?

Last edited by rhr992c4s; 02-17-2020 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:40 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Potter
My primary concern is paying the full invoice price for the 911 without setting eyes on it.

Are you recommending I do that? Is this something others have done?

This is my first Porsche, so wasn't sure if expectations are different here, hence the post.
I don't think it's necessarily that big a deal. But I wouldn't do it unless it was to my advantage.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:51 PM
bradporsche
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
Brad, you are doing the right thing, you should be able to view the car before signing and paying. It sounds like you are really only asking the dealer to wait 1.5 weeks because PDI and prep of the car will take a view days. I don't think you are asking a lot, be polite and firm. What's with the 2 accounts?
Thanks for pointing out the two accounts. I accidentally logged into an older Rennlist account (which uses Gmail for authentication and grabs identity info from my gmail profile and Rennlist displays it...... yikes).

Quick Reply: 911 C4S arrived today - need advice on pick-up