Sponsored by:

911 C4S arrived today - need advice on pick-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 12:38 AM
bradporsche
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 911 C4S arrived today - need advice on pick-up

Well, the wait it over. My SA called today to say my 992 C4S (Carmine Red) has just arrived at the dealership.

The Porsche dealership is about 3 hours away and I won't be able to make it there for at least 2 weeks to pick it up. It actually arrived a month early, so unfortunately I hadn't blocked off time for the trip (yea, I know, the problem is usually having to wait longer than expected.....).

Here's the problem.......the SA was o.k. hanging onto it for a couple weeks, but wants me a wire immediate payment to him for the full amount of the vehicle. Does that seem reasonable? He also explained that they are undergoing renovations and storing an extra 911 is not going to be convenient for them. Not sure that's related to the request for immediate full payment, but might be encouragement to get it off the lot.

My concern is that since they have my deposit, it seems reasonable they could store it, without full payment, for 2 weeks until I can travel there to inspect and collect the vehicle. To be honest, since I did all negotiations over the phone, I would at least like to make it into the dealership and see the 911 (and SA) in person before making full payment. In addition, if something were to be wrong with the vehicle, I think I've lost all leverage if it's been paid for sight unseen.

Am I worried about nothing, or have others run into problems with the condition of their 911's following delivery, such that it would be advisable to hold off on full payment until they've seen the vehicle??
Thanks.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:53 AM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Personally, I would wait and see the vehicle for sure! You have a contract, paid a deposit and the car came in earlier than expected. What would happen if you were out of the country for a couple of weeks....? I think this just sounds like some unneeded pressure on you. GL!!
The following users liked this post:
rhr992c4s (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 12:57 AM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

It’s entirely unreasonable for them to push back on storing your car for two weeks. They are a car dealership. Car dealerships store cars. Their renovations are not your problem or concern in any way.

The money is another issue. They are probably concerned you will abandon the deal and they get stuck paying interest on their floor plan. Are there any written terms indicating when you must transact the car or risk forfeiture of the deposit? Maybe you could offer to wire an additional deposit as a good faith gesture? I wouldn’t wire the all up payment without an executed purchase order containing the wire instructions. Personally, I’d wait to inspect the vehicle before remitting payment. When the money leaves your bank so to does your leverage.

The following 2 users liked this post by FrankAT:
detansinn (02-15-2020), rhr992c4s (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 01:01 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 243 Posts

Do not , I repeat, DO NOT, pay for the vehicle sight unseen. 2 weeks is nothing, especially if the car is early. I waited 14 months for my car because the first one arrived damaged. I don’t know, but it seems the dealership is being a bit aggressive. The most I would do is give them an additional deposit via credit card, then at least you have options if something is wrong. They have been invoiced for the vehicle and are paying interest on the money now, that’s why they want to move it... that and they want the sale recorded in February. I wouldn’t want to send the money until I had title to the vehicle and signed the purchase contract.
FrankAT (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 01:13 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,134 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Usually, when a Porsche arrives early, the buyer is chomping at the bit to get it picked up. So, as others noted above, the dealer may be concerned that you’re not serious and that they will be stuck with the car and the related floor planning interest.

3hrs each way is a day trip. Unless you’re out of the country, that’s a Saturday.

I once had a car delivered to my house the night before I started a couple of weeks of travel. We actually finished the transaction when I got back. If they’re concerned about keeping the car around during renovations, shipping it to you is always an option.

An additional good will deposit will probably go a long way towards their comfort level. Of course, you could just complete the transaction in full remotely and have it delivered — that comes down to your comfort level.

If they are really pushing you for full payment, they may have other interested buyers in the car. They want to get it sold and if they have doubt that you’re actually buying it, they want to sell it to someone else.

No one needs a 911. Buyers bail all of time and they’re likely feeling out whether or not you’re trying to bail.

Last edited by detansinn; 02-17-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:19 AM
bradporsche
Track Day

Thanks for the replies!! I double checked my contract and it states that payment is due by April 1 to avoid forfeiture of deposit. A two week wait until I can pay in person, shouldn't be a problem.

I should add that I'm also asking them to apply PPF at the dealership (including the Xpel interior kit), which I would expect they'll do after they complete the PDI. However, I would have no problem paying for the film in advance if they were to ask for that.
The following 2 users liked this post by bradporsche:
detansinn (02-15-2020), Schwarz992C4S (02-16-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 01:42 AM
PopPorscheCherry
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

Bro, you are in control. They are your bitch. Nuff said
Ukkid74 (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 01:53 AM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bradporsche
Thanks for the replies!! I double checked my contract and it states that payment is due by April 1 to avoid forfeiture of deposit. A two week wait until I can pay in person, shouldn't be a problem.

I should add that I'm also asking them to apply PPF at the dealership (including the Xpel interior kit), which I would expect they'll do after they complete the PDI. However, I would have no problem paying for the film in advance if they were to ask for that.
This changes everything. Given that your agreement specifies a drop dead date of April 1, I wouldn't give them another dime until you transact for the vehicle. Personally, I'd be pissed if an SA tried to coerce me into sending an "immediate wire payment" for the vehicle in full (and especially one that arrived early and having a contract in hand that specifies otherwise). Unfortunately, many dealers will treat distant buyers differently as they aren't so concerned about service retention. If I were in your shoes, I'd send an email to your SA, copying the GM, and explaining you intend to abide by the terms set forth in your executed agreement. I'd also signal to them that if they don't back down they could have a brewing CSAT issue that could negatively impact their scorecard with PCNA.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrankAT:
rk-d (02-15-2020), Schwarz992C4S (02-16-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 01:57 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,677 Likes on 5,111 Posts

Agree to pay the entire amount now but only if they give you another 2% off the deal.

Win. Win.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:00 AM
992TheMoon
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the SA has a child support payment due. Pay when you're good and ready after inspection. Don't succumb to the pressure mate. It's a nice try tho.
Schwarz992C4S (02-16-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 02:59 AM
COLT601
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 49 Posts

Ask them to flatbed the car to you and offer to pay when it arrives. If they don't want to do that then tell them they can wait two weeks.
Schwarz992C4S (02-16-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 10:08 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,134 Likes on 3,006 Posts

I would be shocked if they would put film on the car before you actually purchased it.
rouxeny (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 12:40 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

They're not gonna wrap it until you pay for it...which means completing the deal remotely and then arranging to pick it up. Alternatively you can drive three hours to finish the deal, then head home carless while they wrap it and come back the next week for pickup or have them deliver it.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:28 PM
bradporsche
Track Day

Thanks for the replies. I'll give the SA a call and tell him I don't intend to pay until I've seen the 911 in person when I pick it up. It's only a 2 week wait and they've told me that dealer prep wouldn't even be completed until mid next week, so really only a week and a half.

If they refuse to do the PPF before payment, I'll just schedule enough time to complete the transaction and wait for Porsche to complete the PPF install (assuming it can be done in a day). Since I have a 3 hour drive in front of me to get home, I want the PPF coverage before hitting the road.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:45 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by bradporsche
Thanks for the replies. I'll give the SA a call and tell him I don't intend to pay until I've seen the 911 in person when I pick it up. It's only a 2 week wait and they've told me that dealer prep wouldn't even be completed until mid next week, so really only a week and a half.

If they refuse to do the PPF before payment, I'll just schedule enough time to complete the transaction and wait for Porsche to complete the PPF install (assuming it can be done in a day). Since I have a 3 hour drive in front of me to get home, I want the PPF coverage before hitting the road.
While I agree that they should definitely have no problem holding the car for 2 weeks given it arrived early, I do want to add to the above and note that they won't (and shouldn't) PPF the car before you've paid. Holding the car is one thing, but it's not fair to ask a dealership to make an alteration to a car you haven't actually purchased yet. I'm also not sure that it's realistic to expect them to PPF the car exactly to your schedule. I think your option is to either complete payment before picking it up or plan on doing two trips; one to examine the car and finalize payment, another to pick it up after the PPF. Alternatively you could drive down to examine and finalize payment, and ask them to have it shipped to you after the PPF for a couple hundred bucks.

Quick Reply: 911 C4S arrived today - need advice on pick-up