Sponsored by:

992 Carrera S vs Vantage

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 07:14 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by diononiz
I disagree. Mid-corner bumps really upset the chassis more so than any other high power rear drive car I have owned. Also, the spring rates seem off. When traveling over bumps. they seem under damped allowing excess body motion. It makes it hard to drive the car smoothly when driving aggressively.
I’m with you. I love my vantage but the rear is definitely less predictable and has lower limits than others - especially the 911. It can feel a little unsettled at times. Of course mine is the previous gen and it’s design dates back to 2006 so it should not be compared to a 992 but even when comparing to contemporary 997s, it has a more lively and shall we say, characterful rear suspension. The 911 has no nonsense, Teutonic predictability and confidence. Both can be drifted around if you want, although it’s easier to get power slides started in the vantage.

Again, overall, I’m not disparaging the Vantage at all. I love mine but it’s a very different drive from a 911.
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:41 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
I’m with you. I love my vantage but the rear is definitely less predictable and has lower limits than others - especially the 911. It can feel a little unsettled at times. Of course mine is the previous gen and it’s design dates back to 2006 so it should not be compared to a 992 but even when comparing to contemporary 997s, it has a more lively and shall we say, characterful rear suspension. The 911 has no nonsense, Teutonic predictability and confidence. Both can be drifted around if you want, although it’s easier to get power slides started in the vantage.

Again, overall, I’m not disparaging the Vantage at all. I love mine but it’s a very different drive from a 911.
the new one is legitimately better in every performance and driving metric. Including chassis stability. Its designed to slide around like a hooligan on purpose, but it has pretty high limits and its very balanced. The steering has less feel than hydraulic but is worlds better than my R8 was
RudyP (02-12-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

I've owned both cars, 997 C2S and previous V8 Vantage.
They are familiarly different.
Aston is beautiful, a big loud engine but some loose ends on the road and with QC
Porsche pure understated perfection ... the benchmark
Sounds like things have not changed all that much except for each getting better in its own vein
Just gotta pick your poison ...
Doug H (02-12-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 11:32 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Vantage is not bad with standard damper settings. Its probably a stiffer car than the 911, but my T would get super upset over bumps also and I needed to install a DSC module to nail the a$$ down, especially after the tune. Overall the grip levels are much higher in the 911, and nothing brakes quite like it (especially the light ones). However the front mid engine has a beautiful balance and i wouldnt feel scared driving with TC off or doing burnouts. Even with 550 ft lb of torque (yes the amg v8 is underrated bigtime not to canibalize db11 sales). It feels like the car pivots around you. That said, a 911 would spank it on a track
My experience as well. The vantage feels perfectly balanced and is so much fun and predictable at the limits. The car is sneaky fast and I ran comparable lap times to what I could wring out of a 991 on same track.

Look, my daily is a GTS and I will be picking up a 992 Turbo as soon as I can get my hands it. I am a Porsche guy, but the Vantage is an absolute hoot to drive and they guy complaining about throttle oversteer is suffering from user error, not car error.

Are you really trying to compare your 2010 Vantage to the new or a 2020 Vantage? I had a 16 V12 before picking up my DB11. The new Vantage is worlds apart from the old Vantage.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:42 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I love the new vantage. Looks so beautiful especially with the Mercedes twin turbo engine. The manual (non AMR) should be released soon. Is the new 911 a better overall car when it comes to performance, reliability, and resale? Probably but that new Vantage is better looking and a much more exciting exhaust note. Just my .02
plus its massively detuned from the factory and with a stage 1 this thing can be a monster in a straight line with over 600 hp and almost 700 ft lb.
if i wanst spooked out by british engineering or the wimpy zf 8hp70 trans they put in it i would have flashed it already.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:01 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H

Are you really trying to compare your 2010 Vantage to the new or a 2020 Vantage? I had a 16 V12 before picking up my DB11. The new Vantage is worlds apart from the old Vantage.
No. Where in my post do you think I made that claim?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:18 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

No. Where in my post do you think I made that claim?
Lol, you agreed with diononiz's assessment of the new Vantage's handling (which we are comparing to a 992 here) based on your experience with your 10 year old $45k Vantage. Other than having the same name, the 2010 and the new Vantage have nothing in common and are worlds apart.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:50 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Lol, you agreed with diononiz's assessment of the new Vantage's handling (which we are comparing to a 992 here) based on your experience with your 10 year old $45k Vantage. Other than having the same name, the 2010 and the new Vantage have nothing in common and are worlds apart.
You need to learn to read (and perhaps think a bit about how you come across - I guarantee you it's not the way you think.) I compared my Vantage to its contemporary 911, the 997 and drew a general parallel that while both manufacturers are upping their game over time, the 911 has always had a more predictable and grippy rear end. And by the way, just because I have a 10 year old, $45K Vantage doesn't mean I haven't driven the latest gen.

But by all means, carry on bragging about how your cars are better and making disparaging comments for no reason in every thread. We are all very impressed with you.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:54 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

You need to learn to read (and perhaps think a bit about how you come across - I guarantee you it's not the way you think.) I compared my Vantage to its contemporary 911, the 997 and drew a general parallel that while both manufacturers are upping their game over time, the 911 has always had a more predictable and grippy rear end. And by the way, just because I have a 10 year old, $45K Vantage doesn't mean I haven't driven the latest gen.

But by all means, carry on bragging about how your cars are better and making disparaging comments for no reason in every thread. We are all very impressed with you.
Uhm, I don't own a new Vantage . . . nor do I list an inventory of my cars in my signature line . . .
Old 02-12-2020, 07:05 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

plus its massively detuned from the factory and with a stage 1 this thing can be a monster in a straight line with over 600 hp and almost 700 ft lb.
if i wanst spooked out by british engineering or the wimpy zf 8hp70 trans they put in it i would have flashed it already.
Isn't it the 8HP75 or second generation? Do you think the zf is a weak link. I figured it would be pretty robust and aren't they found in a lot of high performance cars, SUVs and trucks? Mercedes AMG engines are pretty dang fantastic.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Isn't it the 8HP75 or second generation? Do you think the zf is a weak link. I figured it would be pretty robust and aren't they found in a lot of high performance cars, SUVs and trucks? Mercedes AMG engines are pretty dang fantastic.
my owners manual says 8hp70. I was like wtf it already makes over 700NM stock (underrated). The db11 also has this. Superlegerra got the 8hp90 tho
im not sure its the weakest link but confirmed with the service manager that aston will not sell replacement parts for it and the gearset is designed by aston with different ratios. 13k replacement cost plus labor.
so ya its making me second guess how much power i would risk putting through it. Tuned Tq figures are insane
Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

my owners manual says 8hp70. I was like wtf it already makes over 700NM stock (underrated). The db11 also has this. Superlegerra got the 8hp90 tho
im not sure its the weakest link but confirmed with the service manager that aston will not sell replacement parts for it and the gearset is designed by aston with different ratios. 13k replacement cost plus labor.
so ya its making me second guess how much power i would risk putting through it. Tuned Tq figures are insane
That is actually pretty cheap for a transmission. New pdk will set you back more than that.

Has anyone seen the Vantage Convertible? Not bad.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...st-convertible

Old 02-12-2020, 10:19 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Meh...The vert looks a little much like a Jag
Old 02-12-2020, 10:33 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

The old farts on 6speed are both a) whacking to and b) hating on the new grill Personally Im a slick roof guy in general and the vulcan mouth is aggressive and evokes a reaction. I agree this new grill is a little Jaggy. I think the 992 targa will be the way to go for a daily convertible.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

The old farts on 6speed are both a) whacking to and b) hating on the new grill Personally Im a slick roof guy in general and the vulcan mouth is aggressive and evokes a reaction. I agree this new grill is a little Jaggy. I think the 992 targa will be the way to go for a daily convertible.
I really The DB11 convertible. I think they kept the lines well in it. Mine is a hard top.

Do you like the Targa? I love the way it looks, but didn’t so much like the top down driving experience. All of my 911 Turbo daily drivers since 2004 (996tt cab) have been cabriolets. I really love the top down driving experience with 911 cabs. Windscreen works well and can stay warm or cool, especially with ventilated seats between 50 to 95 degrees. I spend most f time with the top down or drive something else.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera S vs Vantage