Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom 992: 2020 or 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020 | 02:10 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Default Custom 992: 2020 or 2021?

First, I hope this topic hasn't been threaded already. I did a search and came up with nothing. That doesn't mean much because I'm not a great searcher.

My wife and I have decided to custom-order a 992. It'll either be a C2S or C4. That's the good news. The bad news is, it's already February. Our SA offered the following scenario, which makes sense.

Let's say we finalize our decision on the model and the build in two or three weeks. He'll get the order submitted in March, for what may be a June delivery, maybe July. September is fast approaching by then, and so will the 2021 model year.

He's a good guy and is recommending we wait to place the order until he can do so for a 2021. He's thinking that might happen in the June timeframe, for late summer / early fall delivery.

The big minus, obviously, is we'd have to wait a few more months. Not that big a deal for me, although my wife is chomping at the bit to add a second P-car. But we'd gain a new model year and thus "gain" a year of depreciation and bugfixes / minor improvements. Our dealer has confirmed the same percentage discount no matter when we order, or for what model year.

Setting aside that the 2021 992 will have the usual price increase, what do you fellas recommend?
Old 02-02-2020 | 02:15 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

How long do you plan on having it? if its for a long time, not sure it will matter, and the miles you put on sooner rather than later will be enjoyed...if you go through cars quickly, then wait for the freshest model year.
Old 02-02-2020 | 02:17 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you want the car this year and have the budget, get the car this year. Life is short. Summer and Fall are a wonderful times of year to have a new car.

I wouldn’t consider the minutiae of depreciation. You buy a car for yourself, not the next person. They all depreciate. You’re not saving yourself from anything by delaying gratification.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
CanadianNorth (02-02-2020), Skaf (02-08-2020), Xaverius (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020 | 02:25 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't worry too much about depreciation. Improvements will be minor, if any at all.

Porsche also typically raises their prices incrementally across the car and additional features, so definitely factor that in - I think it's usually around 2%
Old 02-02-2020 | 02:25 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

All depends on allocation and build slot your dealer can snag. If he has an allocation for a March build, you'd likely be in the car by late June. If you plan to hold the car for a good while (5+ years) there won't be any meaningful depreciation difference between a 2020 and 2021; it'll come down to mileage, maintenance and options on resale in 2025 and beyond. If you hold cars for only a year or two, then hold out for the 2021. FWIW I ordered a Boxster in February 2013 that I thought would be a late MY 2013 build; production ended up getting delayed and it became a 2014 MY as the factory changed over in June.
Old 02-02-2020 | 03:47 PM
Porsch
Banned

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
My wife and I have decided to custom-order a 992. It'll either be a C2S or C4. That's the good news.
C2S or C4?
Old 02-02-2020 | 04:04 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Depreciation probably not that big a deal. I'm too inpatient to wait. Nothing meaningful will likely change from '20 to '21.
Old 02-02-2020 | 10:37 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Wait on the new year. Its worth it
Old 02-03-2020 | 05:38 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsch
C2S or C4?
Yeah, we haven’t decided between Carrera 2S or [base] Carrera 4. Driven the C2S and C4S and was overly impressed with everything except the price, particularly on the C4S, which is beyond the $150K price point I’d set for myself as we’ve optioned the car. Still waiting on a test-drive of the base Carrera.

We’ve eliminated the base C2 due to lack of true LSD or PTV. C4 and C2S adds both those in. I think they’re both really important in a RWD DD that my wife will take to work a few days a week.

As for the rest of the responses, thanks a bunch — particularly the advice about seizing the day and not worrying about depreciation. Valid and real points!
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-03-2020)
Old 02-04-2020 | 02:14 AM
AhsanU
Racer

Ask yourself this - is it worth the wait?

I don't think there'll be much improvement over the 2021 MY vs the 2020. Maybe when it comes down to resale value, etc. but if that really matters to you then yes, you should wait. If the itch hurts and you find yourself literally counting down the days until you get the car, then I would say the wait is not worth it.

I made a similar decision in late 2017 about a 991 GT3. Knowing that the 991.2 GT3 is right around the corner and it'll definitely be improved vs the 991.1, I asked myself if it was really worth the wait. If I wait just one year, then I would saved probably about 20k since the values will drop, or I could alternatively grab a new GT3. I purchased the 991.1 GT3 and in late 2018 after a year of ownership, I knew I made the right choice. I put 13k miles on the GT3 in a year and enjoyed every single one, always grinning from ear to ear when the car was pushed to 9k RPM.

Life's too short. Next year's model will always be around the corner, and while sometimes it's a good idea to wait, other times - it's just not worth it. Just my opinion, but I would say order a 2020, enjoy the living hell out of it, and when it's time to give it in or sell it - make the next car purchase decision in the same light.
Old 02-06-2020 | 09:36 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the informative opinions, fellas. We've decided to stay the course on a 2021. Had another brief talk with our SA, who helped finalize the decision.

For anybody who can't wait: I get it. It's gonna be an excruciating six months (or longer). We've done this dance before, with an 18-month wait for my wife's CTT. When it finally came, it was one hella event. Hopefully the second time rings true too.

Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by JCWLS3:
detansinn (02-06-2020), Ukkid74 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-07-2020 | 05:41 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Why not consider buying a demo or an in stock car that’s similar to your custom build?

This way you can negotiate a better discount and have the car now.

If you’re going to custom order, consider doing either a PEC Experience or European Delivery. I’ve done PEC LA and it was absolutely amazing.

Also—I don’t want to be that guy—but look into an Aston Martin.
There are incredible lease deals on both the Vantage and DB11 (AMR, Coupe, and even Convertible).

I’m talking about lease deals that allow you 10k miles/year and a 36 month term with minimum upfront. Here are two stats:

DB11 Convertible (slightly used demo)
$270k MSRP
$1780 with 9.5% tax / mo
$6k total drive-off
36/10k

Vantage (new 2020) ; I just leased this one
$240k MSRP (absolutely loaded—these cars start at $150k)
$1650 with 9.5% tax / mo
$5k total drive-off
36/10k

Is the DB11 a better deal, yes, but the insurance is also much higher ($400 more/mo than the Vantage)

Just some food for thought—probably won’t be a popular opinion here on the 992 forum

Last edited by ssiminou; 02-07-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2020 | 02:05 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssiminou
Why not consider buying a demo or an in stock car that’s similar to your custom build?... Also—I don’t want to be that guy—but look into an Aston Martin... Just some food for thought—probably won’t be a popular opinion here on the 992 forum
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Those lease rates are incredible on a car with that kind of MSRP. You're talking about paying less than $65K to drive a quarter-million-dollar car for three years. Very impressive. I know this is a Porsche forum too, but I'd love to see a few pics.

Too bad Porsche's residuals / lease rates are stupidly bad. If they offered that kind of deal on a Taycan Turbo S, I'd hand over a check in a heartbeat.

As for buying a car off the lot: Not my thing. I'm pretty OCD about options, particularly the interior. They'll never find anything like what I'm looking to build. But good advice nonetheless. We are, however, strongly considering doing a PEC delivery at Atlanta. Good to hear you had a good experience. Never heard from anyone who didn't...

Personally, I think Aston Martin makes a spectacular car. Congrats!
Old 02-09-2020 | 11:43 PM
carson2
Racer

I think Ferris Bueller had it right... if you have the means, I highly recommend it. I think he was thinking of the C2S over the C4 (or was it a Ferrari).
Old 02-10-2020 | 08:47 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
First, I hope this topic hasn't been threaded already. I did a search and came up with nothing. That doesn't mean much because I'm not a great searcher.

My wife and I have decided to custom-order a 992. It'll either be a C2S or C4. That's the good news. The bad news is, it's already February. Our SA offered the following scenario, which makes sense.

Let's say we finalize our decision on the model and the build in two or three weeks. He'll get the order submitted in March, for what may be a June delivery, maybe July. September is fast approaching by then, and so will the 2021 model year.

He's a good guy and is recommending we wait to place the order until he can do so for a 2021. He's thinking that might happen in the June timeframe, for late summer / early fall delivery.

The big minus, obviously, is we'd have to wait a few more months. Not that big a deal for me, although my wife is chomping at the bit to add a second P-car. But we'd gain a new model year and thus "gain" a year of depreciation and bugfixes / minor improvements. Our dealer has confirmed the same percentage discount no matter when we order, or for what model year.

Setting aside that the 2021 992 will have the usual price increase, what do you fellas recommend?

I could of had my 992 in November '19, but deiced to wait until Jan' 20. Only downside is my delivery is running late, won't be til late Feb.

Quick Reply: Custom 992: 2020 or 2021?