Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory PPF

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020 | 05:49 PM
SamD
Racer

Default Factory PPF

Has anybody received a vehicle with this option? Does it seem like good quality material, install, etc.? Configurator says it covers "luggage compartment lid, front fascia, front fenders, and upper exterior mirror trims." Is that enough? Thank you.
Old 01-30-2020 | 06:08 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

I’d do a search on this. I think I remember reading Porsche was using XPEL ultimate.
Old 01-30-2020 | 06:13 PM
pw-sherman
Instructor

My dealer was told at the corporate training that the film was Xpel Ultimate but I haven't been able to validate this externally. For the price Porsche charges you could have it done by a reputable shop who will use a top quality film, roll the edges, perform paint correction, and probably apply a ceramic coating on top as well. I only ordered it on my car because I am doing Euro Delivery and don't want any stone chips/scratches during my trip or during shipping. Once it gets to the states a full body film will be applied so I'll see if the front needs to be redone at that point or not. That won't be until June so it isn't of much help to you right now, hopefully others have some input!
Old 01-30-2020 | 06:24 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Get it done yourself by someone that comes highly regarded. Cover the whole hood not just the front half or you will be unhappy.
The car even new should have a full correction light or heavy even if new before wrapping. You will be happy you did.
The following 2 users liked this post by Penn4S:
992Sam (02-02-2020), Esoteric_Detail (01-31-2020)
Old 02-01-2020 | 01:22 AM
KCviper
Racer

Agree that you should really consider getting someone who does great work to put on the PPF. I had the small factory PPF on the rocker panels removed and replaced with PPF covering the entire sill area and higher on the rocker panel. Absolutely get the entire front covered!!
Old 02-01-2020 | 09:23 AM
smartbot
Instructor

I had a similar debate. But my dealer was able to offer me a better deal with their PPF (I ended up doing a full XPEL wrap for 5k). I would get a couple quotes before you make your decision.
Old 02-02-2020 | 04:39 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I’ve yet personally to see the factory-applied option. Once I see it, I’ll give my honest feedback.

assuming it’s an acceptable job as Porsche wouldn’t just get into this field without having some sort of competitive product, my concern would be the serviceability of the installation.

should you need something replaced, who’s doing the work? Assuming someone at the factory is skilled and knows the craft, he/she isn’t the one replacing the film down the road should something be needed.

that would be of concern.

with going the local option, at a reputable shop/installer, you know where to get future service and also know the installation will be consistent down the road should you need replacing of current front end, or an addition of further film.

as far as I know, factory isn’t offering a full-vehicle package, and if they are, that opens up a whole other box of worms to look out for
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (02-15-2020)
Old 02-02-2020 | 07:45 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Isn’t there a “cure” time on paint? How safe would it be for PPF to be applied over a freshly painted vehicle?
Old 02-02-2020 | 08:40 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCDD
Isn’t there a “cure” time on paint? How safe would it be for PPF to be applied over a freshly painted vehicle?
Pretty sure cure times are pretty rapid with modern processes and water based paint. Porsche would have thought of this already.

The PPF is installed by Porsche Exclusive, which is done after the car is complete and out of the factory. I suspect it may add some time to delivery, but I don't think anyone knows.

It's a nice option if you're getting Euro delivery. Definitely pricey and you better have a top tier local installer, because sh*t happens with PPF.
Old 02-03-2020 | 12:44 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

the one part that's nice is you can tack it onto your cars MSRP...but I really need to see what happens when those films are lifted in order to be replaced re: paint condition...thats my big q. I went without it on my order this time around.
Old 02-03-2020 | 11:13 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've seen a couple of factory PPF installations - and in my opinion, they do a pretty average job. They used all pre-cut pieces with a minimal amount of hidden/wrapped edges. The film alignment to the panel wasn't superb, and there were some peeling corners on one of the RS's I saw. I suspect Porsche has outsourced local installers come in to do these installations, just like the Dealerships do.

If you have a high-quality Detailing + PPF shop near you, I think you'll be able to get better results for a better price - and the opportunity to fix any other surface issues prior to the PPF installation if necessary.

But for the purposes of European delivery, I think it DOES make sense to have the factory-installed PPF to prevent any front-end damage during your first drives.

Enjoy your new car!

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 02-03-2020 | 11:16 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
I've seen a couple of factory PPF installations - and in my opinion, they do a pretty average job. They used all pre-cut pieces with a minimal amount of hidden/wrapped edges. The film alignment to the panel wasn't superb, and there were some peeling corners on one of the RS's I saw. I suspect Porsche has outsourced local installers come in to do these installations, just like the Dealerships do.

If you have a high-quality Detailing + PPF shop near you, I think you'll be able to get better results for a better price - and the opportunity to fix any other surface issues prior to the PFF installation if necessary.

But for the purposes of European delivery, I think it DOES make sense to have the factory-installed PPF to prevent any front-end damage during your first drives.

Enjoy your new car!
+1...I’ve heard the same from a few clients

does anyone have photos?
Old 02-03-2020 | 06:47 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

We've opted to skip factory PPF for our late April ED. Will look at having any chips or paint imperfections fixed when the car is delivered to local dealer and then PPF done locally. Though not the norm, dealer here hired the best detail and PPF guy (IMO) in the city to work out of their shop.

Quick Reply: Factory PPF