Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local dealer 3% discount vs. 5% discount out of state

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020 | 04:58 PM
Wade992
Intermediate

Default Local dealer 3% discount vs. 5% discount out of state

Local dealer is offering me 3% discount on new 992 that I like very much. Out of state dealer is offering me 5% discount with free delivery on a car I like even more. The out of state car has a higher sticker and will be about $70 more a month. Not really worried about the extra $70 but I am upset because this is the fourth car I would be buying from my local dealer that I have also referred business to. Worried about dealing with local dealer for service, etc in the future. Opinions?
Old 01-29-2020 | 05:01 PM
seatactony
Racer

Dealers make money on service. They have no financial incentive to treat you differently when it comes time for service issues based on where you bought the car.

You should tell your local guy that you prefer to go through him if he'll match the 5% deal (I always bring my best negotiated deal back to the local dealer for matching). He either takes it or you walk. Ignore anything he says after that point about how you will be treated better when it comes to service.
Old 01-29-2020 | 06:22 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wade992
Local dealer is offering me 3% discount on new 992 that I like very much. Out of state dealer is offering me 5% discount with free delivery on a car I like even more. The out of state car has a higher sticker and will be about $70 more a month. Not really worried about the extra $70 but I am upset because this is the fourth car I would be buying from my local dealer that I have also referred business to. Worried about dealing with local dealer for service, etc in the future. Opinions?
I'm loyal to my locals. I see the employees with their kids at school and soccer games. I run into the owners when I am involved with philanthropy and charity events. Heck, we share banks and bankers. It's keeping it in the community. Some people don't care about that stuff, but I do.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
NigelPlays (01-29-2020), SamD (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020 | 06:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wade992
It's surprising the local dealer won't match 5% on a repeat customer.

Would you want to buy a car you like less, only because it's local?
Old 01-30-2020 | 10:40 AM
PopPorscheCherry
Advanced

Easy! Go with the out of state dealer for better car better discount. This is business not a charity. Everytime you bring the car in for service they can be reminded of the sale they lost.
Old 01-30-2020 | 11:18 AM
smartbot
Instructor

Can't you ask your dealer to transfer the car? I found the spec I wanted out-of-state with a better deal. So I approached my local dealer about the car and they said they would trade with the out-of-state dealer to get the car I wanted. They also gave me the same deal the out-of-state dealer offered me.
The following users liked this post:
rangerfan94 (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020 | 01:02 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
I'm loyal to my locals. I see the employees with their kids at school and soccer games. I run into the owners when I am involved with philanthropy and charity events. Heck, we share banks and bankers. It's keeping it in the community. Some people don't care about that stuff, but I do.
Does that mean that you'd be willing to pay an additional 2-3K (2%) for the same car at your local dealer than at an out of state dealership? Loyalty should work both ways. They see you at your kids school, go to the same philanthropic events etc, but it's ok that they may not value you as a loyal customer and not match the 5% discount? Your dealership must love to see you walk through the door.
murox (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020 | 01:57 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

My last 6 GT cars were purchased from dealers who do not service my car. I can't get a GT car from my servicing local dealer. The good news is I have always received outstanding service from my local dealer even though my car wasn't purchased from them.
Old 01-30-2020 | 04:44 PM
FORENN
Banned

If you go with the car you like less, you will be thinking of the car you like more.
The following 2 users liked this post by FORENN:
aggie57 (01-30-2020), Bucket70 (02-02-2020)
Old 01-30-2020 | 10:50 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mb1
Does that mean that you'd be willing to pay an additional 2-3K (2%) for the same car at your local dealer than at an out of state dealership? Loyalty should work both ways. They see you at your kids school, go to the same philanthropic events etc, but it's ok that they may not value you as a loyal customer and not match the 5% discount? Your dealership must love to see you walk through the door.
Oh, I get especially well taken care of, because of those things. Do dealers love seeing me walk through the door? You bet. Heck, I am the guy who drops off a case of beer after a major service.

My Porsche dealer gave me a nice discount on my C4S -- and it was the first 992 sold and registered in my state. You can have a "transaction" or build relationship.
Schwarz992C4S (03-13-2020)
Old 01-31-2020 | 01:51 AM
Paliknight
Racer

I went out of state and still receive great service at my local dealership. To be honest, if they don’t care enough about the relationship to match that small difference in discount then you shouldn’t either.
Old 01-31-2020 | 11:24 AM
WellDressedCar
Racer

5% is quickly going to be the norm at all dealers for a base C2. I've called around and all three (in-state and out) have said they will go for 5%.
Old 01-31-2020 | 01:37 PM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

I almost bought out of state but the local guy ponied up and matched it....

Going to the local dealer for service will not be "embarrassing"

More importantly, they let me borrow a 992 4s (i bought a c2s with 7mt) to test my drive approach-
I had 1/4" of clearance with no one in the car.... so I quickly added the front axle lift to the order.

I would have missed that if I had concluded the deal from an out of state dealer-

So I got the best price and the correct info from buying LOCAL
Old 01-31-2020 | 06:50 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

I think depending on how much you spend, 5% is reasonable for a high cost build (C4S + lots of options) in the SF Bay Area... I was told a base model with few options wouldn't get more than 2-3%
Old 01-31-2020 | 07:08 PM
KCviper
Racer

I ended up buying my first Porsche because the Mercedes dealership next door, who I have serviced my C63 at for the past 10 years, would not even come close to matching other Mercedes dealerships in the area. Decided to look "next door" and bought the Porsche within 2 days (never happens with me!!). Relationships are important and work both ways!
Schwarz992C4S (03-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Local dealer 3% discount vs. 5% discount out of state