Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche....help me with my journey?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020 | 10:50 PM
kage65
Racer

Originally Posted by pitt911
I am always surprised by the idea of get a base car and tune it !!! and save a lot of money
a tune will certainly give you more power but also potential more headaches
loss of manufacturer warranty on drive train … can you afford that !! if a catastrophic event happen and you have to replace an engine
if you want the base car , get it and be happy with it , and it is a great car overall , much better than C7 you have
Agree with this. To me extensive aftermarket mods are not worth the hassle or potential headaches, not to mention voiding your warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by kage65:
3RsInCarrera (01-28-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020 | 11:18 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
I strongly disagree that you should purchase a lightly optioned S over a base. Or the idea that you should worry about depreciation on options. Don't worry about selling a car you haven't bought yet.

IMO, check out all of the options thoroughly. Make a list of your high priority options and then of options you'd add if you had the budget. If you can afford all of your high priority options on an S, do it. Otherwise I'd get a base with your high priority options plus some of your secondary options.

Don't skimp on getting the seat you like best, comfort/assistance systems, etc.. These are things you WILL miss and in the real, non-internet world are much more important than some added HP.
Porsche does not allow you to residualize the cost of options over the base model (i.e. Carrera, Carrera S, etc) which flat out makes a basic S a much smarter choice than a loaded base. Similarly, when selling a loaded car, you will not capture anything close to the additional money spent on the options, as opposed to the basic car price. I never lease a Porsche, but the math clearly shows the smartest choice. And I’ve yet to meet a successful person who was happy to waste money.

The following users liked this post:
3RsInCarrera (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020 | 11:26 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Porsche does not allow you to residualize the cost of options over the base model (i.e. Carrera, Carrera S, etc) which flat out makes a basic S a much smarter choice than a loaded base. Similarly, when selling a loaded car, you will not capture anything close to the additional money spent on the options, as opposed to the basic car price. I never lease a Porsche, but the math clearly shows the smartest choice. And I’ve yet to meet a successful person who was happy to waste money.
Is this really true? When I was considering leasing (rejected over the insanely high money factors) I was told that the residual % quoted applied to the entire MSRP, including options.
Old 01-27-2020 | 11:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

When figuring lease rates, Porsche uses a Maximum Residualized Value. They will figure residual value based on the MSRP or the MRM - whichever is less.

On a 2020 Carrera S, the MRM is $141,700. I know this because I talked to my sales manager about it.

Generally you'll want to build a car within striking distance of the MRM. No more than +$10k over.

I'm a fair bit north of the MRM on my car. But I wanted certain things and I got the options I like and kept it below $150k.

Another thing to keep in mind are discounts - I have an 8% discount, so my OTD ended up ~$5k below the MRM. Of course none of this is "smart" money. Smart money is not buying a Porsche.

Last edited by rk-d; 01-28-2020 at 12:42 AM.
3RsInCarrera (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020 | 12:33 AM
GratedWasabi
Racer

You're on a 911 forum and have yet to meet a successful person who was happy to waste money? What irony.

No one SHOULD buy a 911. You buy it because you love it. Get the options that make a difference in your enjoyment of the car, don't buy a certain trim or option because maybe you'll sell it for more money. Buy the car you want to own (and can afford).

The must haves for me were; 18 way seats, some sort of leather interior, SC, SE. Those put the S out of my budget, problem solved. I guarantee I'll be happier having those options than an S trim and OP, I'd wager you'd be happier with a better optioned car over a "better residual" car.
The following 3 users liked this post by GratedWasabi:
3RsInCarrera (01-28-2020), Filborges (01-28-2020), JHesketh (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020 | 12:53 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
No one SHOULD buy a 911.
I should. Hopefully within the next month.
The following 4 users liked this post by AKSteve:
363ny (01-28-2020), 3RsInCarrera (01-28-2020), macanspnw (02-17-2020), SamD (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020 | 12:54 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Originally Posted by rk-d
When figuring lease rates, Porsche uses a Maximum Residualized Value. They will figure residual value based on the MSRP or the MRM - whichever is less.

On a 2020 Carrera S, the MRM is $141,700. I know this because I talked to my sales manager about it.

Generally you'll want to build a car within striking distance of the MRM. No more than +$10k over.

I'm a fair bit north of the MRM on my car. But I wanted certain things and I got the options I like and kept it below $150k.

Another thing to keep in mind are discounts - I have an 8% discount, so my OTD ended up ~$5k below the MRM.
That's interesting--what does MRM stand for? So, as long as the MSRP including all options is less than the MRM you can apply the full residual % to the MSRP? Why would the discount make any difference? That just applies to the capitalized cost--residuals are based on the MSRP. My C2S build was just under $140K so I guess that's why I was not informed about this. Another reason to pass on a Porsche lease--very unusual policy,
Old 01-28-2020 | 01:11 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
That's interesting--what does MRM stand for? So, as long as the MSRP including all options is less than the MRM you can apply the full residual % to the MSRP? Why would the discount make any difference? That just applies to the capitalized cost--residuals are based on the MSRP. My C2S build was just under $140K so I guess that's why I was not informed about this. Another reason to pass on a Porsche lease--very unusual policy,
Maximized Residualized Value.

I'm not leasing. I'm buying. I mention it and the discount only in the context of having some sort of metric that can help define an "overbuilt" car. It's always hard to know where that line is.

May not be a perfect model, but it was one way of figuring it. My MSRP is just over $147k, which is a bit on the higher end of C2S builds, but certainly not the highest I've seen.

And you are correct in that MSRP is what's relevant in assessing residuals with a lease.

Last edited by rk-d; 01-28-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2020 | 01:20 AM
3RsInCarrera
Instructor

Folks. I'm BLOWN AWAY at all the constructive and thoughtful feedback! I've read through this thread twice in its entirety and I probably will again, then follow some of the advice and study the configurator and spec sheets a few more times before I post more questions.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for your time and consideration in your replies!
Old 01-28-2020 | 01:21 AM
3RsInCarrera
Instructor

Originally Posted by rk-d

Another thing to keep in mind are discounts - I have an 8% discount, so my OTD ended up ~$5k below the MRM. Of course none of this is "smart" money. Smart money is not buying a Porsche.
What is the MRM on a 2020 Carrera base?
Old 01-28-2020 | 04:42 AM
1RedHead
Racer

With a budget of $120k, you are probably going to have to look at the base model. You could go S, but by the time you add one meaningful option such as sports package, you are at your budget. Based upon another tread currently active, seems like the least expensive base car someone has taken delivery of is around $113k after discount. That would be over $16k in options which is pretty easy to do based upon how bare bones the cars really are.
3RsInCarrera (02-19-2020)
Old 01-28-2020 | 07:56 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3RsInCarrera
What is the MRM on a 2020 Carrera base?
Sorry - I don't know. The sales manager will know - I doubt your salesperson will have any clue. If I had to guess - it's <$120k

Porsche are tricky - they price their cars and options in a strategic way. You'll option out your car the way you want it, and find that you're "only" a few thousand away from a higher trim level. Then once you're at your higher trim level, there are more compelling options available. Next thing you know, you're $10k higher than your previous build.

Ideally you come into this with a budget. Build out the best car you can with the budget at hand. If that ends up being a C2S, so be it. This isn't like the old days - aside from the smaller wheels I don't think there is s significant weight difference between a Carrera and Carrera S (though I could be wrong).

Personally, I am never happy with a stock/standard interior (though the stock 992 interior is actually really nice, IMO). But I usually like upgraded interior trim, leather, etc. I'm also a sucker for fancy lights and brakes and sports packages. We all have our thing.
Old 01-28-2020 | 08:43 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

If you have 120k budget buy a low mileage 991.1 Turbo or Turbo S with CPO warranty...over 500 hp and better low end torque..
Old 01-28-2020 | 02:05 PM
SamD
Racer

Limegreen: "My opinion (likely unpopular), from someone who has owned 911's for 20+ years is that the "base 911" is actually the best 911. The base 911 is the purest form of the car, most true to the design and the best experience for 99% of the time you'll be using it."

Totally agree, which is why it is so frustrating no MT for the C2/4. And what justifies that decision? Would make an ideal car for many of us . . .
Old 01-28-2020 | 02:16 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Originally Posted by Sam Dickson
Limegreen: "My opinion (likely unpopular), from someone who has owned 911's for 20+ years is that the "base 911" is actually the best 911. The base 911 is the purest form of the car, most true to the design and the best experience for 99% of the time you'll be using it."

Totally agree, which is why it is so frustrating no MT for the C2/4. And what justifies that decision? Would make an ideal car for many of us . . .
ultimately I think they want to maximize their revenues, they’re raising the floor of the range in terms of price by making everyone buy an automatic, then if you want a manual you have to buy it as part of a $10,000 or $15,000 option package they call the “T” or the “S”...

Quick Reply: New to Porsche....help me with my journey?