Sponsored by:

Carrera 4 photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 10:42 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Carrera 4 photos

I’ve moved toward a C4 build recently, since you guys confirmed a standard C2 does not include a limited—slip differential. That’s a deal-breaker for me, fakey brake-torqued open diff or no.

992 C4 owners / prospective owners, please post your actual pics / specs / build renderings here. I’d love to see exterior and interior pics. Brag all you want. I’m close to pulling the trigger...
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:07 PM
tvlaan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 20 Posts

Happy to post pics and thoughts when I pick mine up later this week.

Are you able to secure an allocation? I know that in the US at least, the C4 seems to be a bit tougher to get due to limited production.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:13 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 276 Posts

2020 C4 - $127k (April euro delivery)

http://www.porsche-code.com/PL18X6M2

Old 01-27-2020, 02:31 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 786 Posts

2020 C4...Euro delivery at Zuffenhausen, same day and same time as sampelligrino. These two cars may well be be side-by-side April 22 in the delivery hall. $140.8k CanadaBux (do the $Can>$U.S. conversion and weep lol).

Here's the build code: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLP73A58
For some reason the interior renderings don't show Sport Chrono when added as part of the C4 Sports Package.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:23 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
2020 C4 - $127k (April euro delivery)

http://www.porsche-code.com/PL18X6M2
Good call on the rear wiper! I spec'd one on my build.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:45 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

I started the C2 Open Diff thread and I've done a ton of research since. The reality is that with PSM or PSM sport on you really have an eDiff either way, it's only with PSM fully off that the open vs LS diff comes into play. Even then you're only going to notice if you're pushing the car very, very hard, unless you like doing burnouts and/or other gimmicks in your 911. I mean, McClaren uses the same setup; an open differential that's effectively an eDiff. All of the current base 992 reviews very much like the car, and that is consistent with previous base 911s that also lacked a LSD.

If you get a C4 instead you're going to have the worst power-to-weight ratio of any of the Carreras and lose some amount of steering feel. So how often are you going to turn PSM fully off? Is that % of time worth the additional weight, complexity, and loss of steering feel 100% of the time? If you're planning on tracking it often, you'd be better off just getting the C2S. If you feel like you NEED AWD, that's what the C4 is for. I do agree that it's annoying that Porsche randomly stuck an open diff on the base car. It's not expensive for them and they don't even use it as a marketing difference between the base and S (the differential is barely mentioned anywhere).

Also how do you plan on getting a C4 allocation? I've emailed over 25 dealerships and there are exactly nine allocations available in the entire US for the remainder of the year and those dealers are holding them for their regular customers.

I'll have a chance to drive a C2 extensively this week, back to back with a 2S and 4S. I will update with results, but I doubt I'll notice anything negative as I'm not going to turn off PSM on a test drive nor push it past 8/10.
The following users liked this post:
Jkb545 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 07:20 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

I had this problem with the 991.2 as well - no C4 allocations. Why is it so difficult to get this configuration? it's not like Porsche would make less margin on C4 than a C2...
Old 01-27-2020, 07:56 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by tvlaan
Happy to post pics and thoughts when I pick mine up later this week.

Are you able to secure an allocation? I know that in the US at least, the C4 seems to be a bit tougher to get due to limited production.
my dealer simply reached out to PCNA asking to swap an existing C2 allocation for a C4 allocation with a customer ready to spec, was easy as that for me

Originally Posted by gcurnew
2020 C4...Euro delivery at Zuffenhausen, same day and same time as sampelligrino. These two cars may well be be side-by-side April 22 in the delivery hall. $140.8k CanadaBux (do the $Can>$U.S. conversion and weep lol).

Here's the build code: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLP73A58
For some reason the interior renderings don't show Sport Chrono when added as part of the C4 Sports Package.
Yessir, looking forward to it. Just booked our hotels and itinerary, now we are starting to get excited!

Originally Posted by rangerfan94
Good call on the rear wiper! I spec'd one on my build.
Yep, for some reason with the 992 and how futuristic it looks I really liked the rear wiper look. Plus I love the "statement"/heritage, and functionality that comes with it.

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
I started the C2 Open Diff thread and I've done a ton of research since. The reality is that with PSM or PSM sport on you really have an eDiff either way, it's only with PSM fully off that the open vs LS diff comes into play. Even then you're only going to notice if you're pushing the car very, very hard, unless you like doing burnouts and/or other gimmicks in your 911. I mean, McClaren uses the same setup; an open differential that's effectively an eDiff. All of the current base 992 reviews very much like the car, and that is consistent with previous base 911s that also lacked a LSD.

If you get a C4 instead you're going to have the worst power-to-weight ratio of any of the Carreras and lose some amount of steering feel. So how often are you going to turn PSM fully off? Is that % of time worth the additional weight, complexity, and loss of steering feel 100% of the time? If you're planning on tracking it often, you'd be better off just getting the C2S. If you feel like you NEED AWD, that's what the C4 is for. I do agree that it's annoying that Porsche randomly stuck an open diff on the base car. It's not expensive for them and they don't even use it as a marketing difference between the base and S (the differential is barely mentioned anywhere).

Also how do you plan on getting a C4 allocation? I've emailed over 25 dealerships and there are exactly nine allocations available in the entire US for the remainder of the year and those dealers are holding them for their regular customers.

I'll have a chance to drive a C2 extensively this week, back to back with a 2S and 4S. I will update with results, but I doubt I'll notice anything negative as I'm not going to turn off PSM on a test drive nor push it past 8/10.
Can only speak for myself but I wanted the base engine, power to weight ratio is out the door for me because slam the throttle on any of these and you'll be in trouble fast. These cars are already so powerful for the street I actually have more fun with the "lesser" engine for street driving. I had a 991.2 C4 which is what I'm basing my thoughts off of. Loved that car, I'm hoping for a similar experience this gen. Got to put the 16k saved over the 4S to good use as it's death by a thousand options with Porsche.

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I had this problem with the 991.2 as well - no C4 allocations. Why is it so difficult to get this configuration? it's not like Porsche would make less margin on C4 than a C2...
Because the real enthusiasts and collectors want one! Limited production model

Quick Reply: Carrera 4 photos