Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In a pickle and need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 12:19 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 243 Posts

Ross, the absolute worst they can do is make it hard for you to get your deposit back. I don’t think they can force you to take the car.

Tell them you are filing a complaint with these guys.

https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/

its actually pretty funny they are threatening to sue you, stupid dealership games.
The following users liked this post:
Ross Correia (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 12:26 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Ross, sorry to hear about how uncooperative the dealership is - it's kind of surprising...

In any case, losing your deposit isn't the worst thing in the world (although it's probably not an easy conversation with the wife). But the loss of the deposit is probably less than the taxes you have to pay on the car, and certainly less than the depreciation you will get just by driving it off the lot. Sometimes it's best to take your losses and move to NYC.

However, if think you should appeal directly to the owner. Dealers love to play the game of "I need to talk to my manager, I need to talk to the owner..". That's all smoke and mirrors. Just tell them you want to talk to whoever can make a decision - everyone else is just wasting your time. Just get get in touch with the owner, I bet you can still negotiate something.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:23 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

I'm not very familar with Canadian laws, but I highly doubt there's a scenario where they can force you to purchase the car. I'd wager if they really want to they can keep the full deposit and there is the fact that you're moving to a different country.

I don't mean to be the devil's advocate here but if this was the first time you brought this up, they have some right to be upset. Not as upset as it sounds like they are BUT an earlier email to your SA warning them would have helped. Did you give them any indication before the sit down?

If you didn't, I'd ask for a portion of the deposit back but not the full thing. Ask to talk to the GM/owner, explain the situation in an apologetic way, and ask them to meet you halfway.

Whatever you do don't buy the car with the intention to sell it in NYC. That will certainly end with a much bigger loss.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:06 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

I’m not sure that you can just move a Canadian car into the states as a permanent transfer without meeting certain standards and having appropriate documentation that it meets US. standards.

However, be that as it may. I believe that you will still have to pay duty to import the car, register it in NY, pay fees and, perhaps, taxes and incredibly high insurance cost and garage cost. Having actually lived there and owned a Porsche there, I wouldn’t call it a rite of passage as much as an act of stupidity. Unless the new job is paying stupid money or you decide to commute to the job and live elsewhere I would skip the car for now.

Last edited by michael818; 01-31-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:39 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 243 Posts

I believe the fair thing is for the dealership to return the deposit after they sell the car, less any interest costs they incur for holding the car and any additional discount they have to include for the new buyer beyond what Ross had agreed to.

I’m not impressed at all the dealership threatened to sue him, that’s a severe response to the situation, and likely a game they are playing to scare him.

The Ontario Motor Vehicle Sales Authority (OMVIC) regulates dealers and provides dispute resolution to consumers.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:44 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

Ok first tell me who this dealership in toronto is so myself and everyone else i know and everyone on this forum never buy a car there EVER.

they cannot force you to take the car. Period. The car is not registered to you, unless you signed all the delivery papers.

i seriously doubt they sue you for not taking the car. They could keep the deposit for their troubles, which could be understandable. but then again they are in toronto, not saskatoon, this car will sell to someone else.

my advice: Wait to see what the owner says and be prepared to lose your deposit. Never buy a car from there again regardless.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:34 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross Correia
and told me there is nothing he can do. “This is your car, it’s registered to you from Germany”.
Ross,

As you surmised. The above quote from the dealer is a lie. Or ‘an untruth’, as they say these days.

The fact that you haven’t spent a few hundred dollars asking a lawyer about your legal position, worries me. You’re faced with losing a $10K deposit or buying a car that you’d be nuts to keep (Unless very specific conditions are met. More on that below).

Originally Posted by Michael818
I wouldn’t call it a rite of passage as much as an act of stupidity. Unless the new job is paying stupid money I would skip the car for now
Yup. I lived on the Upper East side of Manhattan for 8 years, and agree. Unless you’re making 7 figures, you’d be nuts. We owned a car for the last year, and paid for garaging. One of the biggest wastes of money I’ve committed to. And it wasn’t a 911.

Under most conditions in the U.S it’s illegal to keep your deposit. Unless they give you your deposit back now, pay a friggin lawyer and stop waffling.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:42 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross Correia
Hey everyone and thank you for the comedic relief! I started to believe they put me in the wood chipper as well.

So I arrived at the dealership bright and early Saturday morning. Before sitting down I was being upsold on winter rims and tires 😂 can’t even be mad about that!

Sat down broke my rep the news, he was upset and told me there is nothing he can do. “This is your car, it’s registered to you from Germany”. After minutes of listening to this I asked politely to speak with the manager. Came out and said the same thing, nothing they can do. Awkward silences and all. Eventually they told me to take delivery and resell it in NYC because it’s cheaper in Toronto. I asked if there were laws about exporting vehicles, told me it’s no problem “You purchased with the intent to use it”.

The wife was not pleased and started getting a little upset, mentioning if we were to lose our jobs or extenuating circumstances occurred what were our options. They said it’s never happened before.

Then they said if I didn’t take the vehicle that “the owners of the dealership are very wealthy and have lots of money to spend on lawyers”. This went on for another 5-10 minutes. I then asked to speak to another manager because I was either taking the car or getting sued by Porsche Downtown Toronto.

Eventually we called another manager, he was very nice. Good cop, bad cop. Congratulated me on the job, told me how nice NYC is and that no one at the dealership that Saturday could make the decision. Told me to email him and say “Due to unforeseen circumstances I am not able to take delivery”, he said the owner would make the call and even mentioned they needed legal evidence...

Still waiting for a response, going to follow up today! Wish me luck
Not only is that total BS on the part of the dealership (the car isn't yours until you've paid for it), it's just bad business. I can understand that you're reluctant to name them while the process is still ongoing, but IMO bad behaviour like this needs to be called out (just as good dealer behaviour should be applauded).
Old 01-31-2020, 04:56 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Not only is that total BS on the part of the dealership (the car isn't yours until you've paid for it), it's just bad business. I can understand that you're reluctant to name them while the process is still ongoing, but IMO bad behaviour like this needs to be called out (just as good dealer behaviour should be applauded).
I believe the dealer was named in post # 53.

. I then asked to speak to another manager because I was either taking the car or getting sued by Porsche Downtown Toronto.“
Old 01-31-2020, 05:07 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Throw the legal threat back in their face. "Are you threatening litigation? If you are, then we're done here. The matter is out of my hands, all further communication will need to go through my attorneys. That's unfortunate, because we're both going to lose a lot of money if we move in this direction. We'll be much better off if we can come to terms here and now. Don't you agree?"

That's basically what you'd hear from them if you threatened to sue. Everybody would clam up, and the billable hours would start to stack up.
The following 3 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
AlexCeres (02-16-2020), dhirm5 (01-31-2020), Ross Correia (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 05:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Ross, you should get a HUMONGOUS banner made. Have it say something like, "WE GOT SCREWED BY PORSCHE TORONTO", and stand in front of the dealership on Parliament Street on busy Saturdays and Sundays, with your wife, till they refund your deposit. Stand on public property. Should get resolved soon.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:18 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a
I believe the dealer was named in post # 53.

. I then asked to speak to another manager because I was either taking the car or getting sued by Porsche Downtown Toronto.“
Right. I missed that. My bad.
I hope the Dealer Dealer Principal sees this thread, and steps up and does the right thing. He/she could turn this into a PR win if handled intelligently and decisively; saying and doing nothing will hurt them in ways they probably don't fully comprehend.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

They're full of it. Lies.

I'd dare them to sue you. In fact, I'd get a lawyer and get my deposit back for good measure.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:25 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 942 Likes on 443 Posts

Took all of 30 seconds to Google a few Canadian cases that stated car deposits are not refundable when stated as such in the contract. I'm not an attorney but fairly certain the contract you signed will state the conditions you agreed to as well as remedies for default.
1RedHead (02-01-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 10:47 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Ross, you should get a HUMONGOUS banner made. Have it say something like, "WE GOT SCREWED BY PORSCHE TORONTO", and stand in front of the dealership on Parliament Street on busy Saturdays and Sundays, with your wife, till they refund your deposit. Stand on public property. Should get resolved soon.

Years ago, I purchased a new car delivered with a serious defect that made it undriveable. The service department was not hurrying to make it right, so I walked into the showroom and started to chat up the prospective customers about the service problem.
You'd think they'd call the cops, but in fact they responded to my "protest" by doing what was necessary.
Dunno--I was young and stupid, but it did work.
rouxeny (02-01-2020)

Quick Reply: In a pickle and need your help!