992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test driven the 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 01:51 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Test driven the 992

Exterior :
i don t like the door handles,
overall I think the car design exercise is too stretched, like a kind of past 911 styles patchwork,
in few words there s a lack of specific to the model personality,
even a 996 has its own despite ugly,
but the 992 looks more designed at the computer in a copy and paste work from different 911s, as result there s a lacking of whole project idea and thus lack of model personality

Interior :
I don t like the mini nubbin,
I like seats and tech main dashboard screen are well designed,
also nice doors design,
I don t understand the central screen alà Panamera or Macan eventhough putting a television screen in a 911 must be the worst nightmare for a car designer, overall I like the interior

Engine :
The 3 liters 450 hp is well engineered and has a minimal lag to be a turbo, 8speed pdk is very fast, overall a well done work from Porsche mechanical engineers,
but there s a lack of personality, I would have preferred a 4liters turbo much more, the engine is not able to exploit the chassis big potential

Handling :
steering and chassis are in a word sublime,
the maturity is very high, I love it,
suggestion is to option sport chron pdcc rws and spam even for a daily drive is comfortable but a precision scalpel when needed

overall nice funny car to bring children at school going at work or for a long driving weekend, good to impress the chicks or friends too

personally awaiting the "911" 992, maybe the upcoming Turbo model or the 992.2

Last edited by fxz; 01-12-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:57 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 419 Posts

Old 01-12-2020, 03:45 AM
Jay-muc
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

it‘s nice to see such an overstated review ... its vibe drives some of the points home if one doesn‘t take the exact wording too seriously

btw ... I odered the car
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-12-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 09:31 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Whenever someone tells you that the engine isn't able to fully exploit the chassis of a car, be sure to ask them if they drove the car with traction and stability control turned OFF. :P
The engine of the 992 is more than capable of writing checks that the chassis can't cash -- especially the standard chassis (non-SPASM).
I don't think that anyone walks away from a 992 S model saying "that car needs more power". LOL. The Turbo/Turbo S of this generation will be most certainly mind-bending.
The following users liked this post:
G650 (01-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Test driven the 992