Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Microfiber Towels

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 05:05 PM
jbirdie6
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 44 Posts

This Master Blaster looks very intriguing. I am a diehard Optimum Rinseless Wash and Wax user. Does anyone see any reason why the Master Blaster wouldn't be a good complement to the Optimum product? So instead of wiping away the optimum with MF towels, I would just blast the car dry. Seems to make sense to me, but would like others to chime in and make sure I'm not missing something here.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:25 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Edgeless / seamless without a label is far more important when it comes to picking microfiber towels than brand. Especially if you have a dark colored car.

The generic kind that has the edge sewn in are reserved for anything not painted (interior, engine, tires etc..)

How you care for them is just as important, you can buy cleaners specifically designed for cleaning microfiber towels. Detergent only, no beech or fabric softener. Tumble dry with no heat or the lowest heat setting. The usual heat from a dryer will literally melt the fibers while bleach and fabric softener can remove the static charge that makes them work so well.

Once one of my towels looses that static feeling, it's tossed into the bin for greasy bits cleaning and other general purpose, non-paint surfaces.
The following users liked this post:
Caliporsche (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 09:10 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

I use The Rag Company products and buy their higher grade borderless towels from Korea.
The following 2 users liked this post by Penn4S:
BudgetPlan1 (01-08-2020), Caliporsche (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 09:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I use the waffle towels from Griots along with OptiRinse and I have zero scratches on my car. And I agree that one should not wipe a dry car.

A buddy recently told me about these so I may try them: https://www.rapiddrytowels.com/
Caliporsche (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
A buddy recently told me about these so I may try them: https://www.rapiddrytowels.com/
That looks promising, cringed when he pulled out that blue brush though
Caliporsche (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 10:16 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 821 Likes on 458 Posts

I have a nice double sided ProElite brand towel that I bought at Autozone. I think it might be called a microfiber finishing towel. Anyway it's nice and soft and absorbent.It's gray so it's hard to tell if it's collecting dirt, but I have a few of them and run them through the washing machine without any detergent from every so often and then dry them on low until they're not quite dry.
Caliporsche (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 12:26 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I have been using Cobra 530 Towels from Autogeek for the past 10 years now and thus far haven’t really found anything better for maintaining black paint. No swirls and no lint either. I would recommend the 16x24 size so it’s large enough to clean the entire car assuming it’s not overly dirty. I use these and the Griots Grey PFM towels, they are also excellent although I do wish they were larger.

Caliporsche (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 07:51 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I use the waffle towels from Griots along with OptiRinse and I have zero scratches on my car. And I agree that one should not wipe a dry car.

I think you need to re-evaluate your car cleaning process, or your exaggerated statements above. I see scratches in your paint all the time when you post pictures. Here's one recent example (above and to the right of the rightside parking sensor, diffuser too), there are more:

Caliporsche (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 10:34 AM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Caliporsche, do you own a MasterBlaster car dryer? It's my favorite car detailing tool I've ever owned. Look into them at Detailers Domain.
Originally Posted by Caliporsche
WOW! I just looked this up! This looks amazing! I definitely need to order this. I get the water lines after a wash and it hurts when I see them! This is a game changer. Thanks so much for sharing!!
Originally Posted by Caliporsche
Really appreciate it. I was planning to use my shop Vac with some added tools on the hose. But after getting this recommendation, I'll be upgrading. Thanks so much!
As mentioned above, grabbing a dedicated air-dryer is possibly the singles best detailing 'thing' I've spent money on, especially with my penchant for black cars...and I've likely spent thousands on detailing 'things'. Have had many in the cart over the years, could never pull the trigger until I found something that wouldn't irritate the life outta me every time I used it. Regardless of what brand/model you choose, best way to completely, efficiently dry a car. Ended up with a BigBoi unit, couldn't be happier; if interested, kept some notes here on why I went with that one as opposed to others but really can't go wrong with most of the dedicated units: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/other-stuff/#BIGBOI

As for microfiber towels, don't wanna try to save a few bucks on the things that touch your paint the most.

Polish removal, initial leveling of ceramic coatings, application of Quick Detailers, spray waxes, etc: Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 300gsm Can get them in bulk at around $1.25 each, more off during occasional sales. Always have a stack of these things around, very handy and at the low cost, if I toss one I really don't care.

Secondary buff of ceramic coating, application of Quick Detailers, Spray Waxes, Coating maintenance products: Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 350gsm A bit more pricey at around $4 but best I've found *for me* at the mentioned tasks.

Keep a few of the really plush 500gsm Eagle Edgeless ($5 each or so) around for some of the same tasks as the 350gsm's, sometimes they seem to work better than the 350gsm's, sometimes they seem a bit too plush fro my tastes but they are luxurious towels.

Also keep a few of the Rag Company Platiunum Pluffles available for spot drying of doorjambs, trunk openings and similar places after blowing off 95% of the water with the BigBoi.

For about $150 or so I can 'refresh' my towel supply each Spring if necessary. Even w/ 4 cars to wash/maintain, having 10-20 of the 300gsm, about 10 of the 350 gsm, maybe 5 of the 500gsm and 2-4 Platinum Pluffle's around takes care of anything I need. Probably have over 250 towels in my cabinets that I've accumulated over the past 3 years, various types and plushness but the above are the ones I always reach for now.

As with anything, personal preference plays a role and YMMV but for me this approach has worked rather well.

As for cleaning/washing the towels, I wash 'em in hot with similar use towels w/ a microfiber detergent, dry on low heat or air-only in dryer and good to go.
Caliporsche (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:50 AM
Caliporsche
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
As mentioned above, grabbing a dedicated air-dryer is possibly the singles best detailing 'thing' I've spent money on, especially with my penchant for black cars...and I've likely spent thousands on detailing 'things'. Have had many in the cart over the years, could never pull the trigger until I found something that wouldn't irritate the life outta me every time I used it. Regardless of what brand/model you choose, best way to completely, efficiently dry a car. Ended up with a BigBoi unit, couldn't be happier; if interested, kept some notes here on why I went with that one as opposed to others but really can't go wrong with most of the dedicated units: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/other-stuff/#BIGBOI

As for microfiber towels, don't wanna try to save a few bucks on the things that touch your paint the most.

Polish removal, initial leveling of ceramic coatings, application of Quick Detailers, spray waxes, etc: Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 300gsm Can get them in bulk at around $1.25 each, more off during occasional sales. Always have a stack of these things around, very handy and at the low cost, if I toss one I really don't care.

Secondary buff of ceramic coating, application of Quick Detailers, Spray Waxes, Coating maintenance products: Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 350gsm A bit more pricey at around $4 but best I've found *for me* at the mentioned tasks.

Keep a few of the really plush 500gsm Eagle Edgeless ($5 each or so) around for some of the same tasks as the 350gsm's, sometimes they seem to work better than the 350gsm's, sometimes they seem a bit too plush fro my tastes but they are luxurious towels.

Also keep a few of the Rag Company Platiunum Pluffles available for spot drying of doorjambs, trunk openings and similar places after blowing off 95% of the water with the BigBoi.

For about $150 or so I can 'refresh' my towel supply each Spring if necessary. Even w/ 4 cars to wash/maintain, having 10-20 of the 300gsm, about 10 of the 350 gsm, maybe 5 of the 500gsm and 2-4 Platinum Pluffle's around takes care of anything I need. Probably have over 250 towels in my cabinets that I've accumulated over the past 3 years, various types and plushness but the above are the ones I always reach for now.

As with anything, personal preference plays a role and YMMV but for me this approach has worked rather well.

As for cleaning/washing the towels, I wash 'em in hot with similar use towels w/ a microfiber detergent, dry on low heat or air-only in dryer and good to go.
Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed information! I've taken note of all of this info and plan to order and organize my products. Really appreciate the information. Thanks so much!!
BudgetPlan1 (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 04:51 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,790 Likes on 725 Posts

I spent hundreds on towels. They all eventually will cause swirls even with ceramic coating. I don’t wipe car down anymore. Just use the air dryer/heater at the car wash closest to me. At some point this year I will remove front PPF, paint correct the entire car then do a full PPF and ceramic. Then the OCD of wiping won’t bug me so much.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jbravo23:
Caliporsche (01-08-2020), detansinn (01-08-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:40 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 248 Posts

Sounds like you finally picked up a 911 - Congrats. For towels I only order from The Rag Company. And agree 100% as a long time owner of the Master Blaster to dry the vehicle. If you do wipe down the car, mist first with P&S Beadmaker. Amazing stuff, super slick and high gloss.
Caliporsche (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 10:56 AM
rpetty3
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to www.obsessedgarage.com and you will learn a lot. Always wash them first and like someone said if it hits the ground. Junk pile. If you have PPF not as important. Also get good sprays like Bead Maker as a drying aid and you will be just fine. All the best and enjoy your new car.
Caliporsche (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Caliporsche
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Sounds like you finally picked up a 911 - Congrats. For towels I only order from The Rag Company. And agree 100% as a long time owner of the Master Blaster to dry the vehicle. If you do wipe down the car, mist first with P&S Beadmaker. Amazing stuff, super slick and high gloss.
Thank you so much. Really appreciate it. I'm definitely seriously considering the Master Blaster. Perhaps next month when finances aren't so tight. I'm planning to get Ceramic on the entire car next week. I appreciate your advice. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2020, 12:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Caliporsche, sign up on Phil's website at Detailer's Domain. He runs sales often, but, not every sale includes the MasterBlaster. His best sale of the year is for Christmas, but you missed that one. I think he sells one of the best MB packages, because his includes the better/upgraded 30 foot hose. FYI, the MB runs just fine on a 15 amp circuit, but 20 is preferred. If you use a 15 just make sure nothing else is running on that line at the same time, or you will trip the breaker.