Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feed back on Comfort Access, Night Vision Assist and Homel Link.. more..

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019 | 05:39 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Default Feed back on Comfort Access, Night Vision Assist and Homel Link.. more..

Having seen a few threads on these topics while waiting on my car, and having had this cause me to wonder if the money was well spent.. here is my personal feed back on the following:'

-Comfort Access.... apart from the Frunk (swipe to open) .. works flawlessly.. the door handles come to meet you, and they lock with the push of the button... I think there is a trick to the Frunk (kind of like on my BMW trunk) that takes time to master, but I honestly don't care about this as much as the door handles.. and they always come to meet me when I approach them with key in pocket.

-Night vision - again, works flawlessly .. screen a bit smallish, other than that, the resolution is great, and it's smartly able to discern between living and non living things

-Home link.. again, works flawlessly.. first off, easier to program than any other system I've had to program (signal just took)... and secondly, the geo-location activation works flawlessly and is a very handy way to bring the feature up on the screen without having to create a short cut to it.

-Additional. Leather trim option - Again, very nice touches .. the dash (ledge) and the cupholder area, as well as more door panels... well worth the $1200 or so more.

-Lane Keep Assist /. Lane Change Assist.. love them both... not too aggressive (kind of like my BMW) and easily de-activated or configured to be less or more aggressive.

-ACC - works good, lasts long... actually provides the speed of the car in front of you, the selected speed and the actual speed all at once.. something even my BMW didn't do.

-PCCB - These brakes are freaking amazing... so far, very quiet, not grabby, but super sure footed... best brakes I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

-Burmester - clear, loud and no rattles or buzz (even at near top volume)... however, is it worth an EXTRA $4K more over the Bose... well, the metal grill looks cool!

Interior build quality. (full leather) - absolutely first class... no rattles, everything is tight, the attention to detail is as good as it gets.. supercar interior build quality.

Overall, the car is absolutely not disappointing, to the contrary I'm even more impressed that I expected to be... I can't wait to break in the engine so I can actually fully open it but the few times I exceeded 4K RPM and drove in Sport mode, I can tell this thing is going to be fun... but best thing is the handling is off the wall amazing... like it's glued to the ground..

More feedback to come as I discover other likes/dislikes
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
dhirm5 (12-31-2019), n4v4nod (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019 | 06:12 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Awesome! Great write up! .. refreshing to read someone’s first hand review of the car.
Old 12-31-2019 | 06:14 PM
JonasCord
Rennlist Member

Good analysis! Glad the car exceeded your expectations! Comfort access on my 992 is mixed bag. Sometimes it works flawlessly. Sometimes it takes quite a long time to recognise I’m near the car and after a couple of seconds it does it’s job. Other times, it just won’t work. I’ll have to grab the key and unlock the car.
Both my 718 and Panamera have comfort access and they’ve always worked flawlessly...
Enjoy the car in good health. Cheers!
Old 12-31-2019 | 06:45 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 992Sam
Overall, the car is absolutely not disappointing, to the contrary I'm even more impressed that I expected to be... I can't wait to break in the engine so I can actually fully open it but the few times I exceeded 4K RPM and drove in Sport mode, I can tell this thing is going to be fun... but best thing is the handling is off the wall amazing... like it's glued to the ground..
Great write up. One comment -- the soft break-in hasn't been necessary, and indeed can lead to excessive oil consumption and related issues down the road. You want to seal the rings as well as possible. I have driven my cars like I stole them off the lot from mile 1, and have never burned a drop of oil (M5s are infamous for this). Same w my 911. YMMV.

Here's a thread from when I picked up one of my M5s which convinced me that I was doing things "right":

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878719

First 20 miles most important.

The following users liked this post:
jkautz (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019 | 08:05 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Great write up. One comment -- the soft break-in hasn't been necessary, and indeed can lead to excessive oil consumption and related issues down the road. You want to seal the rings as well as possible. I have driven my cars like I stole them off the lot from mile 1, and have never burned a drop of oil (M5s are infamous for this). Same w my 911. YMMV.

Here's a thread from when I picked up one of my M5s which convinced me that I was doing things "right":

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878719

First 20 miles most important.
most of that was done at the factory. Got the car with 18 mIles on it already.
Old 12-31-2019 | 09:23 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

More feedback to come as I discover other likes/dislikes
Wish I could say the same. I am sooooo ambivalent about this car (992 C2S), with the scales leaning more and more to moving on from it. When all systems (comfort access, Apple Car Play, Lane Change Assist, windows when operating power top, etc.) are working as intended, I LOVE this thing! When they arbitrarily, and with no particular order, choose not to, then I HATE this thing. It really makes me miss my 991.2 TTS cab! Now, before the usual chatter about how you buy this for its performance and if you don't like it, it's not the car for you, etc., etc., I have owned over 40 Pcars going back to 1977. Most were bought new, and they've included everything from a '65 356 SC cab to '18 GT3 RS, including along the way, 2 911 Turbos (one 505), 2 964 Turbos (including a '94 Flachbau), 4 997TTs (2 of which were S'), 2 CGT's,.......the list goes on. Never with ANY of these cars and in ALL those years of ownership have I EVER experienced the frustration and upset that I do now. I cannot believe, after more than 4 decades of being a loyal PorschePilot that I would ever get to the point that I don't want to own a new Porsche! It blows me away that Porsche would have released this flagship KNOWING of its several shortcomings. Some will undoubtedly say that "it's not your daily driver.." or that "you own it for its performance, not its technology,,,", but I call BS. In today's world, I paid my $150k+ for a reliable, full featured, DAILY DRIVER....just like EVERY OTHER PORSCHE I've ever owned (my 356 SC cab excepted). Why is this an unreasonable expectation? I'm currently looking at '19 991.2 TTSs, desperately looking to find one close to the spec I'd ordered in '17 and will gladly unload the 992 as soon as I find the right car. Now ask me how I really feel! Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by labcars:
JonasCord (01-01-2020), rouxeny (12-31-2019)
Old 01-01-2020 | 11:28 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by labcars
Wish I could say the same. I am sooooo ambivalent about this car (992 C2S), with the scales leaning more and more to moving on from it. When all systems (comfort access, Apple Car Play, Lane Change Assist, windows when operating power top, etc.) are working as intended, I LOVE this thing! When they arbitrarily, and with no particular order, choose not to, then I HATE this thing. It really makes me miss my 991.2 TTS cab! Now, before the usual chatter about how you buy this for its performance and if you don't like it, it's not the car for you, etc., etc., I have owned over 40 Pcars going back to 1977. Most were bought new, and they've included everything from a '65 356 SC cab to '18 GT3 RS, including along the way, 2 911 Turbos (one 505), 2 964 Turbos (including a '94 Flachbau), 4 997TTs (2 of which were S'), 2 CGT's,.......the list goes on. Never with ANY of these cars and in ALL those years of ownership have I EVER experienced the frustration and upset that I do now. I cannot believe, after more than 4 decades of being a loyal PorschePilot that I would ever get to the point that I don't want to own a new Porsche! It blows me away that Porsche would have released this flagship KNOWING of its several shortcomings. Some will undoubtedly say that "it's not your daily driver.." or that "you own it for its performance, not its technology,,,", but I call BS. In today's world, I paid my $150k+ for a reliable, full featured, DAILY DRIVER....just like EVERY OTHER PORSCHE I've ever owned (my 356 SC cab excepted). Why is this an unreasonable expectation? I'm currently looking at '19 991.2 TTSs, desperately looking to find one close to the spec I'd ordered in '17 and will gladly unload the 992 as soon as I find the right car. Now ask me how I really feel! Lol
could your car be a very early production and maybe need some software updates? But sheesh.. you've bought 40 new Porsches in as many years.. you clearly have very high net worth.. just sell it and get another one in a year or two with the bugs are all worked out.. But honestly, in two weeks and 200 miles, I've experienced no bugs or issues yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
n4v4nod (01-01-2020), rouxeny (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020 | 01:37 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

could your car be a very early production and maybe need some software updates? But sheesh.. you've bought 40 new Porsches in as many years.. you clearly have very high net worth.. just sell it and get another one in a year or two with the bugs are all worked out.. But honestly, in two weeks and 200 miles, I've experienced no bugs or issues yet.
Yes, mine was an early production car. I'm delighted for you that yours has been trouble free and working as expected. That said, I shouldn't have to "Just sell it and get another one in a year or two with the bugs are (sic) all worked out." Shouldn't matter what your net worth is; I only note the number of Pcars I've owned to indicate that I'm not a first time owner whining about the car. Am I the only one who thinks that Porsche sold out its customer base by releasing a product with KNOWN flaws??? Still, I'm serious when I say that I'm happy for you that yours has been trouble free!! Happy New Year!!
The following 2 users liked this post by labcars:
992Sam (01-01-2020), SamD (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020 | 01:56 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Looks like it pays to wait several months after the release. Cars being built in October/November are practically a full year since the launch of the car in Europe. Early adopters will have some bugs.
The following 2 users liked this post by jkautz:
992Sam (01-01-2020), n4v4nod (01-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Feed back on Comfort Access, Night Vision Assist and Homel Link.. more..