Sponsored by:

Deposit for 992 from a bay area dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 10:02 PM
thunderhill
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Deposit for 992 from a bay area dealer

I need some wisdom from the forum members.
I made a deposit for my 992 in a bay area dealer 6 months ago. Luckily, Sam from this forum introduced another dealer to me, which gave me a good discount for an ordered 992.
So, I just asked refund of my deposit to the previous dealer a couple of months ago. Last week, when I call my SA again to check the refund status, he said they don't have any record of my deposit from the beginning.
Probably, I was never in their 992 waiting list after all. Anyway, I had to send a proof of my deposit. The refund still didn't show up, yet.
I already talked to the sales manager, but whenever I talk to them, I hear a different story. Should I call Porsche NA or is there something else I can do to get refund?
Old 12-30-2019, 10:27 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Attorney. A nice short straight forward letter from your attorney. Probably invest the extra $5 and change and send certified mail. No mistaking if you are going away or not. Or, if was me I'd show up in the finance managers office with proof and say I'll be hanging around the showroom while you cut me a check. Finance guy usually has an open door.
The following 2 users liked this post by Own Goal:
Michael Smith (12-31-2019), weekndr.porsche (12-31-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 10:37 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Not a Porsche NA issue. Don't bother them with this.

If you don't mind confrontation, simply let the SA know that you're coming over to pick up the deposit. You'd be surprised how effective that posture is -- nothing scares people more than bold confidence. If you're not the confrontation type, engage an attorney to write a demand letter. It is my understanding that California has a law on the books explicitly regarding the refund-ability of these deposits.

With that being said, you didn't mention the size of the deposit. If it's $1-2k, it will not be worth your while to engage an attorney person to deal with it, unless the California law has explicit penalties. If it's real money, ie, something $10k or greater, that's a different story. I suspect that this dealer may be doing their little dance on this with a small deposit, because they know that it's not worth your while to collect it.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
subshooter (01-01-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:33 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

You can also open a dispute through your card company. Easy to do and often effective.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:46 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Ask them for their address to process serve a small court claims
The following 2 users liked this post by visitador:
kage65 (01-02-2020), Michael Smith (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 01:29 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Ask them for their address to process serve a small court claims
If it’s a small deposit, even that may not be worth your while. You’ll have to pay a fee to file.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:06 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
If it’s a small deposit, even that may not be worth your while. You’ll have to pay a fee to file.
Yes but it looks like the dealer is stalling. A claim can include the court fees in the claim. What I am trying to say is that a dealer would not want to have a public court record. No good for business
n4v4nod (12-31-2019)
Old 01-01-2020, 04:58 AM
thunderhill
Intermediate

Thanks for your advice and opinion. My deposit was $2.5k check. Yes, if it were a credit card transaction, it could have been a lot easier, but the dealer insisted.
I don't believe they would steal my money, but they don't just seem to care since this doesn't make them any profit. I didn't expect this kind of sales practice from a prestigious brand like Porsche.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:14 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderhill
Thanks for your advice and opinion. My deposit was $2.5k check. Yes, if it were a credit card transaction, it could have been a lot easier, but the dealer insisted.
I don't believe they would steal my money, but they don't just seem to care since this doesn't make them any profit. I didn't expect this kind of sales practice from a prestigious brand like Porsche.
‘Call the GM, and I would go there with your xcld check they cashed and they can cut you a check on the spot. Sucks, and by the way I’ve never left a deposit on any ordered cars it’s not necessary. If asked I walk away. Porsche has never ask me for one by the way. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:17 AM
wheelman38
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Write Porsche America, you will be surprised how fast you get action.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:14 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

I need some wisdom from the forum members.
I made a deposit for my 992 in a bay area dealer 6 months ago. Luckily, Sam from this forum introduced another dealer to me, which gave me a good discount for an ordered 992.
So, I just asked refund of my deposit to the previous dealer a couple of months ago. Last week, when I call my SA again to check the refund status, he said they don't have any record of my deposit from the beginning.
Probably, I was never in their 992 waiting list after all. Anyway, I had to send a proof of my deposit. The refund still didn't show up, yet.
I already talked to the sales manager, but whenever I talk to them, I hear a different story. Should I call Porsche NA or is there something else I can do to get refund?
First make absolutely sure of your records (check bank statement, or credit card, whatever you used) and then assemble the proof and walk into the dealer and demand to see the manger on duty.. Demand they show you their accounting record of where they refunded you the $2500... and if they claim they never got $2500 in the first place... show them your bank records that contradict this fact. In other words, show them proof of them taking the deposit, then demand they prove (with records, canceled checks, etc)..that they refunded it.

I'm glad Gary was able to get you a great deal on your car, but you need to get your ducks in a row and then present to the dealer why he owes you money... I can't imagine they're trying to rob you, this must be a clerical error.
rouxeny (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 01:03 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,040 Posts

You don't need to get a lawyer or go to court. Geesh.
You have proof that you paid a deposit. You gave them that proof. They may be slow but they will refund it.

Give them a bit of time and then go in person if needed.
992Sam (01-01-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 12:33 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Did they ever deposit/cash the check? Most of the time when I have left a deposit on a new car purchase, it is stapled to the order file and when I go in to actually pick-up the car they return the deposit check. Your experience may be different of course. Good luck.
992Sam (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 07:00 PM
thunderhill
Intermediate

Yes, Gary/Jason has been nice. I was not sure which to order between 4-way sport+ and 14-way before I tried. They called me when the spec'd cars were available and I tried them both before I made my decision. The previous dealer never bothered and never offered test-drive at all.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:02 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Yes, Gary/Jason has been nice. I was not sure which to order between 4-way sport+ and 14-way before I tried. They called me when the spec'd cars were available and I tried them both before I made my decision. The previous dealer never bothered and never offered test-drive at all.
don't ask me! I got the 18's... honestly, unless the money is critical, don't get the 4 way...

Quick Reply: Deposit for 992 from a bay area dealer