Sponsored by:

RAS, skip or must have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 01:40 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
RAS to record any lap time is a cheat IMO. And in the opinion of every race circuit on the planet. It’s using parlor tricks to cut time off a lap, and would not be considered a true race car. Porsche 911 legacy IS their racing history. That being said, this is JUST my opinion when talking about track time and lap times. RAS for the GT car is a fine choice. Track car? It’s just a gimmick
this is clearly more a matter of purism vs progressive mindset.. . As I've said before... from a "purist" standpoint the Porsche 917 is the most amazing car in the world.. and it has 0-tech... For daily street cars.. all bets are off!

In a perfect word... we could all have one tech'd out car in the garage, and one purist GT car with roll cage, cloth seats, and a 7 speed stick shift... but the world is full of compromises,
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
jkautz (12-21-2019), Osv (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Osv
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Since I didn't say a word about RAS in a race car I don't have to disagree.
But: if it were legal in racing everyone would use it. It's about being the fastest and not about being close to a classic drive. Steering support, traction control, anti lock breaking even disk brakes... Nothing was there a century ago, but as long as it helps you driving faster everyone who makes a living off racing will take it gladly

But since we are talking about street legal sportscars I guess we all agree that RAS is a nice feature, but it's a sportscar without it nonetheless
Old 12-21-2019, 02:51 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Osv
Since I didn't say a word about RAS in a race car I don't have to disagree.
But: if it were legal in racing everyone would use it. It's about being the fastest and not about being close to a classic drive. Steering support, traction control, anti lock breaking even disk brakes... Nothing was there a century ago, but as long as it helps you driving faster everyone who makes a living off racing will take it gladly

But since we are talking about street legal sportscars I guess we all agree that RAS is a nice feature, but it's a sportscar without it nonetheless
I’m with you there. I could only imagine IMSA, or even formula 1 allowing a free-for-all on their regulations. I was just saying, when it comes to the “official” lap time with RAS, that’s a joke. In terms of adding it as an added feature on your DD, buy what your heart desires. Everyone has a different taste for the options Porsche offers and different reasons behind buying into them.

Last edited by jkautz; 12-21-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:53 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
this is clearly more a matter of purism vs progressive mindset..
Exactly
Old 12-21-2019, 04:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Osv
As said before: PDCC is not all about countering body roll. Its main purpose in the 911 is the variable roll torque distribution which allows for high speed and cornering stability as well as countering under and oversteer. In addition, keeping the body flat allows for a higher lateral acceleration since you drive on the default camber a little longer before moving into changes over kinematics.
There is a reason why every official laptime is driven in a car with sport chassis, PDCC and RAS.

To the topic at hand: RAS is a must. PDCC can be skipped. If you are looking for the last 10ths on the track and want the best ride with the sport chassis it's definitely a must have.
Not quite.

The 991 GT3/RS cars do not come with PDCC as a standard feature, and it is not even a configurable option.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (12-21-2019), jkautz (12-21-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 04:42 PM
Osv
Advanced

No doubt about that. But we were talking about the Carrera. The GT is an inherently different car. The difference in aero alone is significant and together with the RAS as standard is giving the car more high speed and cornering stability by itself. In addition it's a niche car with a much more focused purpose and a stiff chassis in the beginning (compare spring and anti roll bar rates plus the upside down dampers up front).
Plus I doubt the hydraulic pump would fit in with the 4l engine.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:43 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not quite.

The 991 GT3/RS cars do not come with PDCC as a standard feature, and it is not even a configurable option.
Exactly. PDCC isn’t found on their track focused cars.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Osv
No doubt about that. But we were talking about the Carrera. The GT is an inherently different car. The difference in aero alone is significant and together with the RAS as standard is giving the car more high speed and cornering stability by itself. In addition it's a niche car with a much more focused purpose and a stiff chassis in the beginning (compare spring and anti roll bar rates plus the upside down dampers up front).
Plus I doubt the hydraulic pump would fit in with the 4l engine.
No, actually it's more about weight than fitment.

You should probably stop now, while you're still not totally too far behind.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:53 PM
Osv
Advanced

If it wasn't overcompensating its weight, they wouldn't put it in the car for lap time purposes in the first place. But anyways... I'm not saying you have to spec it, all I'm saying is that is has been developed for a reason. I don't have to be religious about it, since I didn't spec it myself. Having driven both I can still say it's making quite a difference, but since I will rarely track the car (if at all) I skipped it. If you don't think you need it, you will probably not need it. Same with any other option. No need to get worked up about it

Last edited by Osv; 12-21-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:44 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

On the smaller older cars, with the shorter wheelbase the old school steering was perfect...with how big these new cars are, the RAS helps with the agility a TON, which at it's size is welcomed IMHO.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:20 PM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I did find the other similar thread.

it seems that it’s about 70/30 in favor of getting RAS.

I will find a way to price it into my build.

Quick Reply: RAS, skip or must have?