992 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts
Default 992 GT3

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sh...e/new-911-gt3/

Sorry, missed that this was already posted...
Old 12-16-2019, 11:43 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Doubt it's the same weight as 991. If it is, the 992 Touring is the one to get for sure!
Old 12-16-2019, 11:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

DELETED SGROER beat you to it.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

If we post it enough times maybe the mods won't move it to the non-GT section....
The following users liked this post:
subshooter (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 12:33 PM
seatactony
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts

Likely no escaping that 992 interior even in a GT3 -- hard plastics and touchscreens galore. Drove a 992 this weekend and can't stand it.

Also hard a hard time believing that the car will be "no bigger than before."
PorscheStrong (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seatactony
Likely no escaping that 992 interior even in a GT3 -- hard plastics and touchscreens galore. Drove a 992 this weekend and can't stand it.

What didn't you like about it, other than the silly shifter. I've heard it has incredible performance, but sort of numb.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:40 PM
seatactony
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris88
What didn't you like about it, other than the silly shifter. I've heard it has incredible performance, but sort of numb.
Drove it back to back with a 991.2 GT3 this weekend, both PDK (I will be buying a manual). Obviously not a fair comparison, but that's what I'm cross shopping. This was the third time I've driven a 992, as I keep on trying to make myself like it (kids/wife pressuring me to get "the latest and greatest" with lots of screens). It is just not happening for me, at least in the non-GT3 form.

While the 992 is silky smooth and very fast, there's just nothing engaging about it. It drives more like my wife's BMW than my current Boxster S (with the x73 suspension). Characterless is probably the best way to describe it.

The new interior leaves me cold. It's "new" but distracting and just not driver oriented. From the increased width of the transmission tunnel, to the hard plastics everywhere (compared to soft in the 991), to the distracting nannies (wet mode alert!), the visual impact of the shelf cutting the dash and the fact that you need to constantly access the touchscreen, it all combined to just turn me off. Perfect example: removing the soft plastic cushioning surround from the transmission tunnel and turning it into hard plastic surround that digs into your leg in the curves -- just bad design for a driver's car and places looks/cost cutting over function. Also not digging the overall interior design with the shelf splitting the dash and the fussy/busy look it creates and the move away from analog dials. Bottom-line on the interior: classic driver-oriented cockpit that is no longer cutting edge but should age well (991) vs jazz hands in the 992.

Then we get to the rear -- what made me fall in love with the 991. The rear on the 992 just looks unfinished, bulbous, and cheap.

Anyway, interested in seeing what they do with the 992 GT3 but it won't be for me unless they significantly modify the interior (unlikely).

Last edited by seatactony; 12-16-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
DELETED SGROER beat you to it.
maybe mods can merge this thread with the other one?
Old 12-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 268 Posts

Drove it back to back with a 991.2 GT3 this weekend, both PDK (I will be buying a manual). Obviously not a fair comparison, but that's what I'm cross shopping. This was the third time I've driven a 992, as I keep on trying to make myself like it (kids/wife pressuring me to get "the latest and greatest" with lots of screens). It is just not happening for me, at least in the non-GT3 form.

While the 992 is silky smooth and very fast, there's just nothing engaging about it. It drives more like my wife's BMW than my current Boxster S (with the x73 suspension). Characterless is probably the best way to describe it.

The new interior leaves me cold. It's "new" but distracting and just not driver oriented. From the increased width of the transmission tunnel, to the hard plastics everywhere (compared to soft in the 991), to the distracting nannies (wet mode alert!), the visual impact of the shelf cutting the dash and the fact that you need to constantly access the touchscreen, it all combined to just turn me off. Perfect example: removing the soft plastic cushioning surround from the transmission tunnel and turning it into hard plastic surround that digs into your leg in the curves -- just bad design for a driver's car and places looks/cost cutting over function. Also not digging the overall interior design with the shelf splitting the dash and the fussy/busy look it creates and the move away from analog dials. Bottom-line on the interior: classic driver-oriented cockpit that is no longer cutting edge but should age well (991) vs jazz hands in the 992.

Then we get to the rear -- what made me fall in love with the 991. The rear on the 992 just looks unfinished, bulbous, and cheap.

Anyway, interested in seeing what they do with the 992 GT3 but it won't be for me unless they significantly modify the interior (unlikely).
This echoes my driving experience as well on the 992 C2S. I also disliked the new 8-spd PDK. Too refined/disconnected. The 7-spd always felt like an automated manual to me, the 8-speed feels almost CVT'ish. And I still can't get around the turbo motor. It feels too robotic or assisted if that makes any sense. The power curve feels artificial and synthetic. The only thing I really liked was the door mechanism, no more pushing against the door for it to open.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Thanks for sharing your views of the 992. I've sat in a few and agree it's become very sterile. Like you said, it'll be interesting to see how the 992 GT cars turn out. Sure makes me glad I have the 991.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris88:
Porsch (12-16-2019), Seth Thomas (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 04:00 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 117 Posts

It seems to me that more of the 992 "fun/action" is going to be in the new 992 TTS. Porsche going to iron cylinder lining is basically saying "watch my boost, hold this".

https://www.************.com/content...e-engine-block

The TTS is already a more numb experience than any of the GT cars except when it comes to straight line speed. Which is awesome.

It sounds like the new one is going to be extremely "mod friendly" when it comes too larger turbos (the stock turbo's on the new 992 TTS are rumored to be larger than the outgoing 991.2 TTS units -- per this story) and the ability to boost without breaking. 700 HP stock is likely. That means another $5k-8k "investment" should yield 800 HP plus easily.
Also note that the 8 speed PDK will allow them to map some outrageous 0-30 / 0-60 gear ratios that should put this thing in the 2.3 - 2.4 seconds to 60 (rolling one foot) range in stock trim. Guys are already suggesting stock 1/4 mile times in the high 9's stock -- wowzer.

Should be fun.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:39 PM
seatactony
Racer

Originally Posted by SB27
It seems to me that more of the 992 "fun/action" is going to be in the new 992 TTS. Porsche going to iron cylinder lining is basically saying "watch my boost, hold this".

https://www.************.com/content...e-engine-block

The TTS is already a more numb experience than any of the GT cars except when it comes to straight line speed. Which is awesome.

It sounds like the new one is going to be extremely "mod friendly" when it comes too larger turbos (the stock turbo's on the new 992 TTS are rumored to be larger than the outgoing 991.2 TTS units -- per this story) and the ability to boost without breaking. 700 HP stock is likely. That means another $5k-8k "investment" should yield 800 HP plus easily.
Also note that the 8 speed PDK will allow them to map some outrageous 0-30 / 0-60 gear ratios that should put this thing in the 2.3 - 2.4 seconds to 60 (rolling one foot) range in stock trim. Guys are already suggesting stock 1/4 mile times in the high 9's stock -- wowzer.

Should be fun.
Yeah, to each their own and I have no doubt that PNA will knock it out of the park when it comes to HP and track times on the upper range of 992 models. That said, those things are really not important to me. I'm instead looking for the most engaging driving experience and, at least so far, the 992 isn't even close to the 991 in that respect.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris88
About 2 weeks back, I test drove a 992 Carrera S. PDK. Super boring. No soul, no fun. I mean a very capable car but it didnt raise the hair on my neck and it certainly wasn't worth 152k which is what the msrp on the car was. I don't know about you guys but the new norm with Porsche and their pricing is just mind boggling. 230k + for a Turbo S?? Why?? 150K for a Carrera? Im shocked they are actually selling these cars cause they are not enjoyable or fun to drive. The GT cars - different story.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:11 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

I still believe that the wing is gonna have swan neck mounts not sure why they did that on the render
Old 12-17-2019, 12:36 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
About 2 weeks back, I test drove a 992 Carrera S. PDK. Super boring. No soul, no fun. I mean a very capable car but it didnt raise the hair on my neck and it certainly wasn't worth 152k which is what the msrp on the car was. I don't know about you guys but the new norm with Porsche and their pricing is just mind boggling. 230k + for a Turbo S?? Why?? 150K for a Carrera? Im shocked they are actually selling these cars cause they are not enjoyable or fun to drive. The GT cars - different story.
I agree. I see many 992 Carreras priced around the same as my GT3. Make me feel like I got a pretty good deal.
Porsche911GTS'16 (12-17-2019)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3