Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever been able to convince a dealer to switch wheels to get the sale?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 08:01 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Has anyone ever been able to convince a dealer to switch wheels to get the sale?

Hey guys,

Question is pretty much in the title. Any chance of a dealer agreeing to switching the wheels between two 911's to make a sale or is that out of the question?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2019, 08:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

That's a tough "ask" this early in the sales cycle. Try. Worst they can say is "no". Your BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement) would be them selling you a set of the wheels you want from Tequipment at dealer cost.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:18 PM
j lok
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes...we did this when we purchased a new Macan Turbo in 2015. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:23 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

The wheels are on the window sticker. Putting wheels on the car that don't match the sticker instantly devalues that new car at time of sale. No dealer is going to take this action and will devalue another new car in their inventory. If a buyer didn't notice it at time of purchase, the build certificate that they will receive from Porsche after purchase is going to show the wheel mismatch. In general, dealers won't pull anything from a new car on the lot, because it can bring a host of issues.

If there was a used one on the lot and we were a few years into the 992 cycle, maybe a swap could take place, but Porsche 911 buyers care about this stuff. An educated used 911 buyer is going to ask what happened to OEM wheels that came with the car. Macan buyers are much less likely to think about such things.

You're much more likely to find another owner willing to swap their wheels than a dealer do the exchange.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Having been the GSM at a Porsche dealer for years I would say this.... It can't hurt to ask. The problem is this, If they're taking a set of wheels off an existing car its a problem. First the wheels have cost differences. The cost on the stick of the car is lower than if you just walked in and wanted to buy that set of wheels from the parts department. Second, and this is the big one. All new car inventory is in the Porsche data base for all the dealers to see. Dealers swap inventory with each other all the time, aka, dealer trades. If they take a set of wheels off a new car then when other dealers are looking at that car in the Porsche PPN national inventory system, the car now does not have the wheels listed on the original build sheet. That's an issue if the dealer want's to either dealer trade that car to someone else or if another dealer calls and asked to trade for that car. If the dealer orders another set of wheels like you want then they're incurring additional costs to replace the ones they needed to take for you and now they have another set of wheels sitting around which probably wont sell easily if ever.
detansinn (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:28 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by j lok
Yes...we did this when we purchased a new Macan Turbo in 2015. Doesn't hurt to ask.
You're right doesn't hurt to ask!
Old 12-12-2019, 08:30 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trader220
Having been the GSM at a Porsche dealer for years I would say this.... It can't hurt to ask. The problem is this, If they're taking a set of wheels off an existing car its a problem. First the wheels have cost differences. The cost on the stick of the car is lower than if you just walked in and wanted to buy that set of wheels from the parts department. Second, and this is the big one. All new car inventory is in the Porsche data base for all the dealers to see. Dealers swap inventory with each other all the time, aka, dealer trades. If they take a set of wheels off a new car then when other dealers are looking at that car in the Porsche PPN national inventory system, the car now does not have the wheels listed on the original build sheet. That's an issue if the dealer want's to either dealer trade that car to someone else or if another dealer calls and asked to trade for that car. If the dealer orders another set of wheels like you want then they're incurring additional costs to replace the ones they needed to take for you and now they have another set of wheels sitting around which probably wont sell easily if ever.
Interesting, maybe I can offer a few thousand for the hassle!
Old 12-12-2019, 08:33 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
The wheels are on the window sticker. Putting wheels on the car that don't match the sticker instantly devalues that new car at time of sale. No dealer is going to take this action and will devalue another new car in their inventory. If a buyer didn't notice it at time of purchase, the build certificate that they will receive from Porsche after purchase is going to show the wheel mismatch. In general, dealers won't pull anything from a new car on the lot, because it can bring a host of issues.

If there was a used one on the lot and we were a few years into the 992 cycle, maybe a swap could take place, but Porsche 911 buyers care about this stuff. An educated used 911 buyer is going to ask what happened to OEM wheels that came with the car. Macan buyers are much less likely to think about such things.

You're much more likely to find another owner willing to swap their wheels than a dealer do the exchange.
Thanks for the input man- guess it can't hurt to ask. There is a 911 20 miles from me that is my exact dream spec and there are none that even come close in the entire United States- the only difference is my dream spec has the RS Spyder wheels and the one 20 miles from me has the Carrera S wheels in high gloss black. Wheels are the only thing that are forcing me to wait 3 months for a build and I'm a very impatient person, haha
detansinn (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:35 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crimewave
Interesting, maybe I can offer a few thousand for the hassle!
If you're offering bucks, finagle a discount on new wheels at time of purchase. Then, use the wheels that came with the car for winter tires or track rubber.
Beth02CarreraC2 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

maybe I can offer a few thousand for the hassle!
You can buy a set of wheels you like for "a few thousand'.
Freddie Two Bs (12-14-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input man- guess it can't hurt to ask. There is a 911 20 miles from me that is my exact dream spec and there are none that even come close in the entire United States- the only difference is my dream spec has the RS Spyder wheels and the one 20 miles from me has the Carrera S wheels in high gloss black. Wheels are the only thing that are forcing me to wait 3 months for a build and I'm a very impatient person, haha
I have the Spyder wheels. They're worth it. Totally understand!
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
If you're offering bucks, finagle a discount on new wheels at time of purchase. Then, use the wheels that came with the car for winter tires or track rubber.
California, no such thing as winter tires
aggie57 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
You can buy a set of wheels you like for "a few thousand'.
On suncoast I believe those wheels are $7,500 so a bit more than a few thousand.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Send your wheel out for powder coating. $250/each. Any color your desire.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

On suncoast I believe those wheels are $7,500 so a bit more than a few thousand.
Sell your "take offs" for $3,000. Buy the wheels you want for "a few thousand'. See what I did there.
AlexCeres (12-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever been able to convince a dealer to switch wheels to get the sale?