Sponsored by:

Advise for delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Aventurine 992
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Advise for delivery

My first 911... delayed delivery on 01/10/2020. I was supposed to receive just before christmas...
I had a limited budget and with the price increase of the 992 I had to target my priorities with my options:
  • C2S rather than base model. I prefered to cut on other luxury options...
  • Aventurine green with standard interior in black
  • Sports seats plus 4ways
  • RS Spyder Design wheels
  • Sport package with black tailpipes
  • Electric glass sunroof
  • Alcantara GT steering wheel because I like the feeling in the demo car!
  • Bose system
  • Storage package
  • Fire extinguisher just because Mt-Tremblant Jim Russel track is nearest
  • Model designation 911
Your comments are welcome but it's clearly too late for change

What I could expect at delivery? A Porsche baseball cap and an hand shake from the sales director or a champagne party with balloons?
What should I check before leaving the dealer? I have a small list but I'm sure some multi-experienced 911 owners have their requirements or expectations.
  • body and finish inspection
  • Dash programming crash course, cellphone pairing
  • Tire repair kit, basic tooling or something...
  • Owner manuals
  • Some info on breakin period
  • What else?
Thanks for your advises!
Old 12-03-2019, 07:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,399 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Practice, in the mirror, smiling and saying "no thank you ", as they will try to upsale you on all kinds of stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
detansinn (12-03-2019), markchristenson (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,053 Likes on 2,976 Posts

Very nice and disciplined option sheet.

My 992 was the first Porsche that I purchased. Having previously purchased new Mercedes, BMW, Alfa Romeo, and Volvo cars, I am floored at the amount of follow up mail and gifts that Porsche sends a new owner. It’s delightfully over the top and makes you feel like you did something special.

At time of purchase, they gave my wife a very nice T-shirt and they hooked me up with all weather floor mats. I also got a gift bag of miscellaneous stuff.

The Porsche Connect setup was the longest part of the delivery process. By now, your dealer should have that down, but my car was purportedly the first sold and provisioned in Pennsylvania. It reminded me of getting a cell phone provisioned in the 90s. LOL

They will offer to walk you through all of the functions of the car and even offer up a post-delivery visit. Being technically saavy and having logged hundreds of miles in OPP (Other People’s Porsches), I just made sure that both key fobs worked and hit the road. 🤪 Yes, I skipped the orientation.

When they put you in what dealer’s delightfully call “the box”, it’s no different than any other dealer experience when it comes to the up sell. I declined everything. For example, I think that pre purchasing maintenance is silly. First, it’s seldom cheaper than just paying for it when it happens. Plus, if, god forbid, your car manages to get totaled (ie, fallen tree, flood, etc), your insurance isn’t going to reimburse you for that pre paid maintenance. Do that crap at your own peril.

Last edited by detansinn; 12-04-2019 at 12:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SamD (12-04-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,053 Likes on 2,976 Posts

...be sure to download the “Good to Know” app as the manuals still weren’t available online when I last checked and as digital manuals go, the app is quite good.

Last edited by detansinn; 12-04-2019 at 12:48 AM.
jkautz (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 12:24 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
...be sure to download the “Good to Know” app as the manuals still weren’t available online when I last checked and a digital manuals go, the app is quite good.
Awesome tip. I just downloaded and I’ve been checking out some of the videos and reading some of the manual. Very nice!
detansinn (12-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Advise for delivery