Sponsored by:

992s cheaper in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 01:40 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts
Default 992s cheaper in Canada

The cost of our 992 C4 (ED in April, 2020) excluding taxes is $140,860 Canadian. (Lucky us: total taxes on a 992 in the province where we live are only 5%.) The EXACT same build done on the U.S. configurator comes out to $123,640. Using US > Canadian dollar conversion rates averaged over the past week, the US car would cost the equivalent of $164,000+ Canadian; conversely, the price of our moderately optioned 992 when converted to US dollars is around $106k US, just slightly above the base price. There may well be restrictions on U.S. customers buying new cars in Canada (there are no such restrictions on used cars), making this price differential moot...however if I lived in the US - especially in a state bordering Canada - I'd be wondering why the same car costs so much less a few miles north.

Canadian configurator

US configurator

Bank Of Canada conversion rates
Old 12-01-2019, 03:52 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

And Canadians get a heated steering wheel standard! This is likely a euro to dollar (US and CA) price determination timing issue as US pricing is typically lowest.
Depending on currency conversion cost/discounts/taxes/fees and service/warranty/resale issues I would wonder if it would be worth the trouble.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:16 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
And Canadians get a heated steering wheel standard! This is likely a euro to dollar (US and CA) price determination timing issue as US pricing is typically lowest.
Depending on currency conversion cost/discounts/taxes/fees and service/warranty/resale issues I would wonder if it would be worth the trouble.
U.S. pricing hasn't been lowest for quite some time; at least the last couple of years that I've been casually monitoring. I sold a Cayman S to a U.S buyer last week and currency cost conversion was negligible (depends on your banking relationship and payment method; this transaction was unusual in that it was cash). Porsche warranty/service is good throughout North America so no issues there. Some buyers in U.S. might have issues with a Canadian car, but the last two used Porsches I've sold (Cayman and a 997.2 GTS) had multiple interested U.S. buyers who weren't fussed they were Canadian cars. If car was bought in a province with no provincial sales tax buyer would pay 5% GST in Canada and 2% tax in U.S. to import.

Depending on the discount one could do in Canada (admittedly tougher than in the U.S), after paying taxes on both sides of the border there's still potential for 5-figure savings.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:43 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Agreed. Typically Canadian pricing is lowest.

Originally Posted by gcurnew
U.S. pricing hasn't been lowest for quite some time; at least the last couple of years that I've been casually monitoring. I sold a Cayman S to a U.S buyer last week and currency cost conversion was negligible (depends on your banking relationship and payment method; this transaction was unusual in that it was cash). Porsche warranty/service is good throughout North America so no issues there. Some buyers in U.S. might have issues with a Canadian car, but the last two used Porsches I've sold (Cayman and a 997.2 GTS) had multiple interested U.S. buyers who weren't fussed they were Canadian cars. If car was bought in a province with no provincial sales tax buyer would pay 5% GST in Canada and 2% tax in U.S. to import.

Depending on the discount one could do in Canada (admittedly tougher than in the U.S), after paying taxes on both sides of the border there's still potential for 5-figure savings.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:20 AM
Aventurine 992
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts

I don’t know if is the same way but I bought some American ski boats last 10 years (when the US and CAN $ was almost even and I never paid US taxes. But I had to paid CAN taxes when I registered the boat in Canada. Make a lot of good deals like that...

Quick Reply: 992s cheaper in Canada