Sponsored by:

Help with build!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 04:12 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Help with build!

I'm planning on putting a deposit down for an allocation next week and while I have some time I was hoping for any help/tips people care to give on my build. This will be my second Porsche but first 911 (previously had a Macan Turbo).

This car will be a high use daily driver in the Pacific Northwest, think 20k miles a year, and see lots of rain & a good bit of snow. I spent a lot of time debating between the C2 or C4 and ended up on the C4 for overall safety in wet/snowy conditions, definitely open to other points of view here, though.

My goal is to get the best combination of performance and comfort options without spending extra for convenience or aesthetic options. $120k is my hard cap but, frankly, the lower the price the better. I can afford the car but it's right at the upper limit of what I can comfortably pay.

Options I'm on the fence about.
-Standard Interior vs Partial or Full Leather. I'll have to sit in both again to compare. My thought, though, is that 4k is a lot for a non-touch surface and I'm not sure how much I'll notice/care about the leather after a week.
-Sport Exhaust & PTV+. I ended up going with the Sport Package as it basically gave me two debatable options for the price of one, seems good.
-Seat Ventilation. I've loved it in the cars that have had it but $800 is a lot.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLNC5776
The following users liked this post:
sexfiend (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 04:26 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice. How bout interior trim in Aluminum or Diamar to match your bright exterior highlights?

On the wheels, you might spring for the classics with the bright highlights, or, if you like the smaller wheels, the colored hub crests can look nice against your green exterior.

Not sure the GT steering wheel is a worthwhile fit with your look, but purely personal preference.
The following 2 users liked this post by not4one:
GratedWasabi (11-30-2019), sexfiend (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 04:26 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

I would add Lane Change Assist.
Given that you're planning to really drive this car, I would also strongly consider ACC. Porsche's system is fantastic and brilliant in stop-n-go traffic.
GratedWasabi (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 04:27 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by not4one
On the wheels, you might spring for the classics with the bright highlights, or, if you like the smaller wheels, the colored hub crests can look nice against your green exterior.
Agreed. Colored crests look great with Aventurine green.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:38 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Originally Posted by not4one
Nice. How bout interior trim in Aluminum or Diamar to match your bright exterior highlights?
The colored hub crests can look nice against your green exterior.

Not sure the GT steering wheel is a worthwhile fit with your look, but purely personal preference.
Originally Posted by detansinn
I would add Lane Change Assist.
Given that you're planning to really drive this car, I would also strongly consider ACC. Porsche's system is fantastic and brilliant in stop-n-go traffic.
Good call on the center caps!
I do like the interior trim. I might consider that as a compromise over getting a leather package.
By upgrading to the GT steering wheel it makes the steering wheel leather without having to add a leather package. Plus I generally like that style of wheel. But I will compare before locking it in!
LCA is one I've gone back and forth on. I like the convenience of it but I also check my blindspot. Wish Porsche didn't charge a grand for a safety feature.
ACC is something I personally don't enjoy. I've had it on my last 3 cars, played with it, and turned it off.

Last edited by GratedWasabi; 11-30-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:00 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 786 Posts

For a DD where there is snow, C4 is a good call. Ours will be a 365 DD and 5 of 12 months snow is a certainty where we live. You might want to try the standard steering wheel before ticking the GT box: the non-GT wheel felt better in my wife’s and my hands. We opted for LCA, no additional leather (complete waste of money in our view), Sport Package and 18-way seats as we will both be driving the car and have had Sport Plus seats in previous Porsche’s and they fit us well. Nice to be able to hit a button to get personal settings.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:12 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Looks like a great build. As others have already mentioned, I would really consider adding LCA. It's a bummer that Porsche doesn't include it by default on a $100k+ car, but given that it's sounding like this car is going to see a fair share of use, it's something I'd highly recommend.

The following 3 users liked this post by seanhaus:
detansinn (11-30-2019), GratedWasabi (11-30-2019), sexfiend (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 06:56 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm also in the northwest and I've never used the sunroof. That's personal choice, but unless it's a gotta-have-it option for you that's $2k in your pocket.
Also, I've only used the ventilated seats a few times in this part of the world (I used them often on road trips to Southern California, though) - are you expecting to park in the sun?
I second the lane change assist (LCA) recommendation - and of course I always look over my shoulder - but it's possible (based on two occasions where it alerted me to the presence of a vehicle of which I wasn't aware) that it has already paid for itself.
I do like the PDLS+ cornering lights (although they aren't quite as good as those on the Macan).
Old 11-30-2019, 09:49 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 161 Posts

Good to see another disciplined future owner here. I also tried to cap my initial C2 build to $120K, but due to other options I couldn't get from C2 I decided to move up to C2S (and has unfortunately moved way beyond my initial self-imposed cap). Anyway, back to your build. I third adding LCA. Coming from a Macan without it this became one of my must-haves for my new car. While seat ventilation is good to have, unless you live in a hot place or park outside regularly, it's something you can do away with. Maybe you can also drop the silver trim. Without the leather package, some interior areas just don't look premium (for a $120K car) and those are the things you see every time you're in the car. If you drop seat ventilation and the silver trim then you add the standard interior with leather package ($2,840) and LCA ($1,060), you're total will still be within your cap at $120,020 which in my opinion will give you the balance of performance, comfort, and technology.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:37 AM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 47 Posts

PNW here as well.

Regarding the C4 decision: do you really think of driving this thing to mountains? Remember the ground clearance. In any case we get only a few weeks of snow here and I bet most of us would avoid driving a 911 when that happens. Also don’t worry too much about winter traction, we will all end up switching to winter tires which will give plenty of traction with rear engine.

Regarding your other options:
I disagree on the LCA. I personally prefer to look over my shoulder to be sure. Also correct mirror position helps a lot too.

I’d add Bose surround and drop the sunroof. I think Bose is much more worth than the sunroof. Also Porsche crest on the headrest is very cool too. Comfort access is another option I would not skip on an expensive car like this.

Seat ventilation wasn’t worth a lot to me since I rarely park my car outside in direct sunlight. If you think you will park your car on direct sunlight, it may be an option you can get. If not, skip it.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Daily driving the car doesn’t necessarily relate to driving for long periods of time. I drove my cab to Florida and found that ACC was an awesome option after driving my previous C2S and Targa for a combined two years but don’t think it’s a worthwhile option for my needs. Ventilated seats are a must have for me ... I haven’t used them in the past month in Canada but between April and October, I’d say they’re used a good 80% of the time I’m in the car. Same goes for the GT sport steering wheel as I prefer the smaller diameter along with thicker feel. As far as the seats go, after having sport plus in my 981 and 18 ways in my 3 911’s, I’ve determined that either are fine for me (sport plus only if I were looking to keep within a budget). I expect the same for the 992 seats as it took 20 seconds sitting in the 14 ways to determine they aren’t as comfortable for me. As far as C2 versus C4 is concerned, there isn’t enough “downside” to having a 4 to not go with that for my daily driver in Canada but had no issue with going with the rear wheel drive GTS Cab for Florida. Lastly, I would personally choose the glass sunroof for both aesthetics and add’l light in the car. Having seen the Adventurine (car with the 14 way seats) I loved it and frankly, have configured a very similar build ... sadly, getting a manual requires going with a C4S and the price tag is pushed to $150k. up here.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 248 Posts

Personally I feel that a 6 figure sports car needs a full leather interior. I also hate that Porsche now makes you pay more for Alcantara headliner. Both are must haves for me.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:14 AM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

4wd peace of mind, FAL no, not a gt car, vented seats useless how much does ur *** sweat and it makes seat harder due to fans, leather yes dont be a pleb
Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Personally I feel that a 6 figure sports car needs a full leather interior. I also hate that Porsche now makes you pay more for Alcantara headliner. Both are must haves for me.
It's clearly done to shave a few bucks off of the entry price, but very few cars appear to be spec'd without it.
With the sun/panoramic roof, the headliner doesn't bother me so much, because most of what's above my head is glass anyway.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:18 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Thanks for all of the advice so far.

Sunroof I definitely want to keep. Seat Ventilation might go. LCA will probably be a last minute call. I still have to sit in them again and check it out to see if I want to go with leather. It's just an expensive option for a purely aesthetic choice.

If I do go leather I'm awfully tempted to go all the way in and pick the Truffle Brown, because it's such a nice compliment to the aventurine.
JHesketh (12-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Help with build!