Help with build!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 12:49 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,503 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
Thanks for all of the advice so far.

Sunroof I definitely want to keep. Seat Ventilation might go. LCA will probably be a last minute call. I still have to sit in them again and check it out to see if I want to go with leather. It's just an expensive option for a purely aesthetic choice.

If I do go leather I'm awfully tempted to go all the way in and pick the Truffle Brown, because it's such a nice compliment to the aventurine.
If you can deal with a brown steering wheel, the truffle brown is awesome. Reminds me of a 928.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:58 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
If you can deal with a brown steering wheel, the truffle brown is awesome. Reminds me of a 928.
The steering wheel being brown is my one qualm there. I might also just go with the black leather package, which I believe adds leather to the most important visual points. So many options.
The following users liked this post:
sexfiend (12-02-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 12:46 AM
touringGT3
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
The steering wheel being brown is my one qualm there. I might also just go with the black leather package, which I believe adds leather to the most important visual points. So many options.
And the whole dash, and pillars, and roof lining. Also the same thing holding me back. Would have been perfect if it was a two-tone black-truffle brown combo. I just replied on my own build-thread that I might go for truffle brown, which was my 2nd choice, over my first choice of black leather, but now I'm back to just black again LOL.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:01 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by macmac
And the whole dash, and pillars, and roof lining. Also the same thing holding me back. Would have been perfect if it was a two-tone black-truffle brown combo. I just replied on my own build-thread that I might go for truffle brown, which was my 2nd choice, over my first choice of black leather, but now I'm back to just black again LOL.
Its a process of elimination to re-process the elimination! Very nice!!

Old 12-03-2019, 08:50 AM
touringGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by jkautz
Its a process of elimination to re-process the elimination! Very nice!!

This is hard, jkautz!
Old 12-09-2019, 01:00 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

So I put down the allocation deposit. But.. in a surprise twist.. I went with a C2. I spent a lot of time debating the 4 vs 2 and how I'd use the car before deciding the C2 was more than sufficient for my needs. I also like that it's the lightest and least complex of the 911s.

I briefly considered upping to a very lightly optioned C2S but at the end of the day I'd rather have the same engine with lower HP/Torq and I don't need PASM. I'd pretty much just be paying $16k for RAS which I've never actually experienced (and will now avoid trying!) and cutting off some options I really desire.

PL63NXB2 is everything I'm locked on. Still considering; larger wheels, LCA, partial or full leather interior, and comfort access.

Question on wheels; aesthetics aside, what are the pros/cons of 19/20s vs 20/21s. The 20/21s are slightly (10mm) wider so I assume they'd have slightly better handling attributes, whereas the 19/20s would have a more comfortable ride, less weight, and maybe a bit more leniency with potholes.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

For what it’s worth, my 991.2 Targa has 19” winter wheels and they do look small on the car. Aesthetics aside, it is interesting that I have not noticed any benefit to ride comfort with my winters over my 20” summers.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:31 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

So I put down the allocation deposit. But.. in a surprise twist.. I went with a C2. I spent a lot of time debating the 4 vs 2 and how I'd use the car before deciding the C2 was more than sufficient for my needs. I also like that it's the lightest and least complex of the 911s.
x2. It's a purist take.

I briefly considered upping to a very lightly optioned C2S but at the end of the day I'd rather have the same engine with lower HP/Torq and I don't need PASM. I'd pretty much just be paying $16k for RAS which I've never actually experienced (and will now avoid trying!) and cutting off some options I really desire.
Same engine (albeit smaller turbos), but you can remedy that with a quality tune.. which is something I have planned myself. And you'll be happy to hear, PASM is standard on the C2 & C2S.

PL63NXB2 is everything I'm locked on. Still considering; larger wheels, LCA, partial or full leather interior, and comfort access.
Great color & nice touch with the silver window trim. I believe LCA is an option that should have come standard, but it's a must have IMO. I would also consider full leather. When you spend this kind of money on a car, you want it to FEEL as such, when you step inside..

Question on wheels; aesthetics aside, what are the pros/cons of 19/20s vs 20/21s. The 20/21s are slightly (10mm) wider so I assume they'd have slightly better handling attributes, whereas the 19/20s would have a more comfortable ride, less weight, and maybe a bit more leniency with potholes.
Aesthetics aside, I'd be hard pressed to believe you would feel any difference between 19/20's & 20/21's. They both look great though, so it's a personal taste. I prefer the larger set.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old 12-09-2019, 01:49 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

And you'll be happy to hear, PASM is standard on the C2 & C2S.

​​​​​​​
Thrilled to hear that, I didn't realize. Makes me feel even better about the decision, thank you!

Interior will be an easy decision, just have to sit in a standard vs leather back to back for a few minutes. I didn't pay close attention during my test drive.

Good info on the wheels. Part of my final build will be how much I save between now and locking it in, good incentive to save some cash.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:44 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Be firm and stick to your wants as long as it doesn't cause you financial troubles later. But whatever you decide on I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Btw, the roughly $16K premium to move up to the S model includes bigger brakes, PTV+, 65 extra horses, and the option to get RAS and SPASM. Just wanted to make sure you consider those standard features.

We went thru the same thought process except that I ended up with a "practical" enough C2S build. I've driven the 992 S/4S on track as well as the current gen Carrera T so I knew I've be happy with the base if I went that route (FYI - Youtuber's Nick Murray and Janko also prefer the base engine). I told myself I can even get a Rolex or two with the savings so a base C was very compelling to me. (Side story on the Rolex, knowing how long it takes to get any sports steel Rolex watches these days I ordered a Submariner no date with my "future savings" and ended up getting the Rolex really quick. ) What tipped me over to a C2S were those upgrades I mentioned above and I really liked the potential of RAS. I debated adding SPASM and even tried getting just PSE and Sport Chrono even though the sport package is a $200 cheaper option. In the end I added the SPASM option, because 911.

With my initial base C build, I also considered the pros/cons of smaller and larger wheels, but aesthetics won me over and I trust that Porsche won't go to 21 inches if they didn't think if won't offer better performance. Plus I've read/watched that the 992 has a much wider comfort-sport spread compared to the prior gen, meaning the comfort setting is more comfortable and the firmer side more extreme. LCA and leather were MUST-HAVES for me. I opted out comfort access, although it's cheap enough, given some negative feedback I've heard about it. My current car has comfort access and I just know I'm OK without it.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:01 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by macmac
Be firm and stick to your wants as long as it doesn't cause you financial troubles later. But whatever you decide on I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Btw, the roughly $16K premium to move up to the S model includes bigger brakes, PTV+, 65 extra horses, and the option to get RAS and SPASM. Just wanted to make sure you consider those standard features.
If you save $16k, put that towards PCCB's & tune to 470HP w/o mods, you'd still save $5k.

I do agree though, if options such as SPASM, PDCC & RAS are something you want to get. Then you have no choice but to go with the S.. that being said, you add all three of those options onto the $16k premium.. now you're north of $23k added in total over the base.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:41 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Thanks for all of the advice so far.

Sunroof I definitely want to keep. Seat Ventilation might go. LCA will probably be a last minute call. I still have to sit in them again and check it out to see if I want to go with leather. It's just an expensive option for a purely aesthetic choice.

If I do go leather I'm awfully tempted to go all the way in and pick the Truffle Brown, because it's such a nice compliment to the aventurine.
If it helps I had a couple of 997's without the optional leather and enjoyed owning and driving them for a good few years. Never missed it and it was not any hinderance when I sold them. My 992 order doesn't have it, but it does have a (metal) sunroof and LCA.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:30 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

If you save $16k, put that towards PCCB's & tune to 470HP w/o mods, you'd still save $5k.
I would not presume that you'll save money putting a tune on a Base Carrera and/or match performance of the S models. The S cars have larger turbos and the assorted fuel, air, and cooling upgrades to support that added boost. The Base cars do not have the same bits -- to be clear, there are hardware differences between these cars. They appear to share a shortblock. It's not clear that these cars share the same cams and heads. Sure, you're welcome to run a more aggressive tune, but remember that the S cars produce that power with a warranty. Porsche has earned their stingy warranty reputation and if you break something running a tune, rest assured, YOU become the warranty.

Someone telling you that their software or ECU swap can be removed without detection is lying. I've seen the story play out one too many times. You don't want to be caught explaining why your 40,000 mile car is showing an unrealistically low number of engine starts in the ECU. As long as you're going into it with the cash resources to replace the engine, knock yourself out. If you are unprepared to cut a check for an engine replacement or rebuild, there's nothing sadder than seeing someone make payments on a car that they can't drive. There are difficult spousal conversations to be had here when things go sour.

I am no prude when it comes to tuning and performance modifications, but when I do it, I make sure that I have budget in case things go wrong. :P
The following users liked this post:
touringGT3 (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 07:28 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by detansinn
I would not presume that you'll save money putting a tune on a Base Carrera and/or match performance of the S models. The S cars have larger turbos and the assorted fuel, air, and cooling upgrades to support that added boost. The Base cars do not have the same bits -- to be clear, there are hardware differences between these cars. They appear to share a shortblock. It's not clear that these cars share the same cams and heads. Sure, you're welcome to run a more aggressive tune, but remember that the S cars produce that power with a warranty. Porsche has earned their stingy warranty reputation and if you break something running a tune, rest assured, YOU become the warranty.

Someone telling you that their software or ECU swap can be removed without detection is lying. I've seen the story play out one too many times. You don't want to be caught explaining why your 40,000 mile car is showing an unrealistically low number of engine starts in the ECU. As long as you're going into it with the cash resources to replace the engine, knock yourself out. If you are unprepared to cut a check for an engine replacement or rebuild, there's nothing sadder than seeing someone make payments on a car that they can't drive. There are difficult spousal conversations to be had here when things go sour.

I am no prude when it comes to tuning and performance modifications, but when I do it, I make sure that I have budget in case things go wrong. :P
The S itself has the capabilities of huge improvements in terms of power without modification. I’ve read several threads in the 991 forums of boosts on the S as well as the base.

My only point was that the base model is mildly tuned & can produce higher output numbers than a stock S. And an S can produce higher numbers than the soon to be GTS w/o mods, and so on and so forth. The engine is capable of performance gains without any issues other than risking warranty..

I do plan to tune, but I agree 100%. It will be after my warranty is up. It’s not an immediate need for me, and the Porsche warranties aren’t that long anyhow. lol Ultimately, a good tune probably won’t be available for another year or so. I’m not in a big hurry for it.

Last edited by jkautz; 12-09-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:47 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

For the record on my car, I don't intend to tune it. My Macan Turbo was tuned for a while and I enjoyed the car a lot more when I removed the tune.

In my opinion, probably not a popular one, the S and above cars are almost "too" fast for daily driver use. If the base car lets me spend a little more time at high RPMs, that's worth more to me than shaving half a second off a quarter mile. The main reason I'd go for an S, and where I think the value lies, are the options it unlocks. Those make more of a real world difference than just "faster", IMO. But getting an S with those options is strictly out of my price range and strictly more car than I need. Instead I can get a C2 with all of the amenities that I really desire and will benefit from on a daily basis.
The following 2 users liked this post by GratedWasabi:
jkautz (12-09-2019), touringGT3 (12-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Help with build!