Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Cabriolet....chassis flex causing horrible noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 11:29 AM
gt-2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 992 Cabriolet....chassis flex causing horrible noise?

Put about 500 miles on my wife’s 992 C2S cab, a horrendous bang happens when making left hand turns (only left hand turns and when approaching slight inclines with left tire touching first) driveways or parking lots. Sounds like chassis flex pop with something low and forward of center tunnel? Never have had a cab version of any gen so not sure if they really are that flexible (I’ve driven other manufactures convertibles that are wobbly messes). Anyone else with cab experience this or maybe with 991 gen? Scheduling trip to dealer this coming week to have them check it out but it’s disconcerting.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:53 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 470 Posts

I cant imagine it would be chassis flex but could be something else that at that kind of angle pops, thats def something to have them investigate, thats not normal at all.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:00 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,053 Likes on 2,976 Posts

Not normal. Have it checked out.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:25 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I know it's a cab, but seriously they've made the 911 chassis so stiff that I get one wheel up in the air when transitioning onto an incline. What's your speed when this happens? Are you turning the steering wheel or just holding your steering angle while rolling onto an incline? If it happens while you're at a snails pace then something isn't bolted in... Or maybe they left the shipping pucks in place?

If you can capture it on your phone it'll help you ensure that the dealer gets it solved the first time - you don't want to be sent home a few times with "unable to duplicate problem" before they actually fix it.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:41 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Originally Posted by digits
I know it's a cab, but seriously they've made the 911 chassis so stiff that I get one wheel up in the air when transitioning onto an incline. What's your speed when this happens? Are you turning the steering wheel or just holding your steering angle while rolling onto an incline? If it happens while you're at a snails pace then something isn't bolted in... Or maybe they left the shipping pucks in place?

If you can capture it on your phone it'll help you ensure that the dealer gets it solved the first time - you don't want to be sent home a few times with "unable to duplicate problem" before they actually fix it.
i won’t need to capture it, it’s easily duplicated and I’ll drive tech if need be, it’s definitely happening at only 1-2mph entering at a angle a incline when front drivers side of chassis is loading up front and when the twisting action is highest on front half of car forward of windshield. My bet is someone else will experience this and I’m guessing it could be something that’s not necessarily common but will show up again....a early 992 issue, anyone that has delivery of 992 cab should duplicate this condition at different speeds to check.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:45 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 534 Posts

It was explained to me as normal "caster scrape" at low speeds in the colder temp or wet surfaces with wheel turned all the way...but without hearing it dealer trip is wise
Old 11-30-2019, 12:49 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

You're experiencing what's commonly called "Ackermann chatter" or "tire skip" - a result of performance cars having reduced steering Ackermann geometry in comparison to normal sedans, SUVs, etc. This causes the chatter that you hear when at full lock, especially at low parking-lot-type speeds and at cold temps.

It's normal.....on Turbo S website but those cars are all wheel drive so maybe different scenario but went to tech session and explained as normal on these cars rear or all wheel....
The following 2 users liked this post by abiazis:
NigelPlays (11-30-2019), Senna01 (12-02-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 12:52 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Originally Posted by digits
I know it's a cab, but seriously they've made the 911 chassis so stiff that I get one wheel up in the air when transitioning onto an incline.
Just because a chassis doesn’t flex enough to allow one wheel to lift in transitions doesn’t always mean that the topless version won’t twist a lot more than coupe version. Missing structure overhead presents a lot of structure challenges but I agree with everyone it shouldn’t be happening. Regardless of how good they’ve made this 992 version, it has a a lot more aluminum in it and unfortunately while lighter it’s also softer and more prone to flex. Hopefully it’s just a bolt that holds the suspension subframe to car or something that can be addressed but if it’s really popping from flex in chassis that would be a real game ender for me.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:56 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Originally Posted by abiazis
You're experiencing what's commonly called "Ackermann chatter" or "tire skip" - a result of performance cars having reduced steering Ackermann geometry in comparison to normal sedans, SUVs, etc. This causes the chatter that you hear when at full lock, especially at low parking-lot-type speeds and at cold temps.

It's normal.....on Turbo S website but those cars are all wheel drive so maybe different scenario but went to tech session and explained as normal on these cars rear or all wheel....
no it’s not tire skip and the sound doesn’t duplicate this condition, this is a single event pop or thud like someone has struck one blow to bottom of chassis with a hammer. And only when chassis is loaded in transition. Wheels can be turned or straight but if drivers side tire enters incline before passenger side tire this happens regardless of steering angle. Ackerman chatter will occur regardless of direction you are turning, my condition ONLY happens during left turn approaches.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:52 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Wow....to the dealer for sure and keep us posted on this....
Old 12-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by gt-2
no it’s not tire skip and the sound doesn’t duplicate this condition, this is a single event pop or thud like someone has struck one blow to bottom of chassis with a hammer. And only when chassis is loaded in transition. Wheels can be turned or straight but if drivers side tire enters incline before passenger side tire this happens regardless of steering angle. Ackerman chatter will occur regardless of direction you are turning, my condition ONLY happens during left turn approaches.
Based on your description I guess there is a piece of blocking (installed for shipping) in the suspension that was inadvertently left in when the car was delivered to you.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:14 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Based on your description I guess there is a piece of blocking (installed for shipping) in the suspension that was inadvertently left in when the car was delivered to you.
I put car up on lift today at the shop I use for track prep...no blocks left in suspension and nothing obvious that stands out. I’m still fearing chassis issue but we’ll see if the brain trust at dealership can get to bottom of it.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis

Exactly. I've had this on every 911 since the 997 I've owned.
Weirdly I currently have a 992 C2S Cab and this has been the least problematic out of all my 911's to date.

Quick Reply: 992 Cabriolet....chassis flex causing horrible noise?