Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on comfort access

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 03:16 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

My Dec build comfort access has been very hit and (mostly) miss thus far. Works perfectly on my 15 Macan Turbo, very spotty on the 992. Waving by the frunk takes a few seconds to register, feel silly doing it when I don’t know that it’ll unlatch. Doors often times don’t respond at all when unlocking (locking hasn’t been an issue) and the handles have never popped out on approach. Def a little annoying as it’s an option I would always spec, will prob take it in at some point to have it looked at.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:59 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
My Dec build comfort access has been very hit and (mostly) miss thus far. Works perfectly on my 15 Macan Turbo, very spotty on the 992. Waving by the frunk takes a few seconds to register, feel silly doing it when I don’t know that it’ll unlatch. Doors often times don’t respond at all when unlocking (locking hasn’t been an issue) and the handles have never popped out on approach. Def a little annoying as it’s an option I would always spec, will prob take it in at some point to have it looked at.
Handles are not intended to pop out on approach. It takes a light touch on back side. This has been covered in other forum threads. Sometimes, however, the light touch dors not work and a light tug is needed to activate. Mine works about 80% of time. Have had no issues with frunk latch. My car is early April 2019 North America build.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:09 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
Handles are not intended to pop out on approach. It takes a light touch on back side. This has been covered in other forum threads. Sometimes, however, the light touch dors not work and a light tug is needed to activate. Mine works about 80% of time. Have had no issues with frunk latch. My car is early April 2019 North America build.
Someone posted a video (I believe earlier in this thread) of the handles extending upon approach and the key flashing red. Personally, I would not prefer that, just want the comfort access to consistently work like it does on my Macan. 80% isn’t good enough imo.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:37 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Someone posted a video (I believe earlier in this thread) of the handles extending upon approach and the key flashing red. Personally, I would not prefer that, just want the comfort access to consistently work like it does on my Macan. 80% isn’t good enough imo.
I believe that Porsche had the good sense to eliminate that feature for security reasons after the earlier builds.
The following users liked this post:
slwong23 (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 05:29 PM
vishal
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

If you program the PCM correctly (memory of GPS at garage location) the dialog box with button to activate door comes up automatically on screen as you approach door. You can put up to five locations in memory. Easy to set up, easy to use. For example if you have gated community and garage door at both office and home you can program all three.

On handle pop out, mine works about 80% of time. If handle does not pop out it only takes a slight pull to extract the handle and open door. You do not need to extract key.
Mine is definitely programmed correctly with GPS coordinates. I get the dialog box when I approach the house about 50% of the time but often I will have to go into the HomeLink menu to send the signal manually. The more difficult issue is in the morning when leaving the house, at a minimum you have to turn off the rear-view camera to see the HomeLink shortcut I've put on the home screen, but less than 10% of the time does the GPS location work in this case and I have to go deep into the menus to trigger it. I was dealing with it for a while and then realized carrying the garage door opener is a simple solution to this problem.

I'm going to leave it programmed in case a future software update fixes it, but until then, I'm fine with this workaround.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:11 PM
mathus7
Racer

Originally Posted by vishal
Mine is definitely programmed correctly with GPS coordinates. I get the dialog box when I approach the house about 50% of the time but often I will have to go into the HomeLink menu to send the signal manually. The more difficult issue is in the morning when leaving the house, at a minimum you have to turn off the rear-view camera to see the HomeLink shortcut I've put on the home screen, but less than 10% of the time does the GPS location work in this case and I have to go deep into the menus to trigger it. I was dealing with it for a while and then realized carrying the garage door opener is a simple solution to this problem.

I'm going to leave it programmed in case a future software update fixes it, but until then, I'm fine with this workaround.
My HomeLink screen comes up automatically 100% of time. It would seem that there may be some issue with your software? It has been several months but I seem to recall that initial set up was not easy.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:45 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

My HomeLink screen comes up automatically 100% of time. It would seem that there may be some issue with your software? It has been several months but I seem to recall that initial set up was not easy.
If you're parked in your garage with the garage door closed, does the HomeLink screen come up automatically as soon as you turn the ignition switch to position 1 (without starting the car since the garage door is closed)? I can't get the GPS to work so I just programmed one of the shortcut keys to take me to the HomeLink screen so I then just have to press the screen once to open the garage door.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:19 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 136 Posts

My GPS works 50% or less of the time. I have seen it work in the garage but only after 30 seconds or so of engine warmup. Don’t know it it works with ignition in accessory position.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:41 PM
mathus7
Racer

Originally Posted by mferris
My GPS works 50% or less of the time. I have seen it work in the garage but only after 30 seconds or so of engine warmup. Don’t know it it works with ignition in accessory position.
Did a test and my Home Link screen does not display automatically in ignition on mode in garage even after system boot. This is not an issue for me as I enter garage from house and there is a garage door control panel on wall as I enter garage and I then press button to open the door I want. As stated before, the Home Link screen comes on automatically after I back out of garage so I can close door from car. It also comes on automatically as I enter driveway upon return. This is 100 % dependable.

Last edited by mathus7; 06-15-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:15 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Did a test and my Home Link screen does not display automatically in ignition on mode in garage even after system boot. This is not an issue for me as I enter garage from house and there is a garage door control panel on wall as I enter garage and I then press button to open the door I want. As stated before, the Home Link screen comes on automatically after I back out of garage so I can close door from car. It also comes on automatically as I enter driveway upon return. This is 100 % dependable.
Thanks. I too have a door opener control panel where I enter the garage, but my wife and I prefer to get in the car and lock it before opening the garage door for security (probably being over paranoid). I need to see if I enable GPS but still go to ignition on mode and use my shortcut button to get to the HomeLink screen to open the garage door, when I then start the car and back out and the backup camera screen comes on if the HomeLink screen then comes on automatically so I can use it to close the garage door. Is that how yours works?
Old 03-08-2020, 03:19 PM
mathus7
Racer

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Thanks. I too have a door opener control panel where I enter the garage, but my wife and I prefer to get in the car and lock it before opening the garage door for security (probably being over paranoid). I need to see if I enable GPS but still go to ignition on mode and use my shortcut button to get to the HomeLink screen to open the garage door, when I then start the car and back out and the backup camera screen comes on if the HomeLink screen then comes on automatically so I can use it to close the garage door. Is that how yours works?
After you back out I think you need to get out of reverse to turn off back up camera for the Home Link screen to appear.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:44 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

After you back out I think you need to get out of reverse to turn off back up camera for the Home Link screen to appear.
I tried it after enabling GPS and when I back out and the back up camera comes on, if I "X" out of it I get the home screen again, not the HomeLink screen. I did not try backing out into the street and putting the car in D to see if I get the HomeLInk screen back again automatically--I'm afraid I would be out of range of the signal anyway. Oh well, at least it works when I get home (unless the park sensors detect a nearby obstruction as I come up my driveway and turns on the park assist screen--then I have to start over again with my shortcut button).
Old 05-22-2020, 07:20 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Comfort Access on my 992 is a joke.

The vast majority of the time, locking my car with a touch does not happen unless I stand there continuously touching the handle like I'm Detective Monk having an OCD moment. And I have never (not even once) successfully opened the trunk by waving. Yes, I've tried different ways of touching the handles. Yes, I've tried all sorts of different trunk waves. Nothing works.

And I'm unsure why this is an issue, honestly. I mean, we're talking about late 90's/early 00's tech, here. Nobody is "working out the bugs" on these systems anymore. Similar packages work perfectly on the average Civic, for instance.

I have no doubt that Comfort Access performs admirably on some vehicles... But definitely not mine. I'll either have my system fixed by the dealership, or barring that, have the cost of package refunded.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue
Comfort Access on my 992 is a joke.

The vast majority of the time, locking my car with a touch does not happen unless I stand there continuously touching the handle like I'm Detective Monk having an OCD moment. And I have never (not even once) successfully opened the trunk by waving. Yes, I've tried different ways of touching the handles. Yes, I've tried all sorts of different trunk waves. Nothing works.

And I'm unsure why this is an issue, honestly. I mean, we're talking about late 90's/early 00's tech, here. Nobody is "working out the bugs" on these systems anymore. Similar packages work perfectly on the average Civic, for instance.

I have no doubt that Comfort Access performs admirably on some vehicles... But definitely not mine. I'll either have my system fixed by the dealership, or barring that, have the cost of package refunded.
I second all of that above. I am assuming Porsche has not fixed this problem in newer cars (my delivery was in October). I think we should get a refund for the Comfort Access option. By the way, wash your car and I promise you the trunk will open.
The following users liked this post:
Bolo (05-24-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 09:48 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020
By the way, wash your car and I promise you the trunk will open.
Lol! Yes, of course. I am sorry this is a problem on the earlier cars but wonder why they can’t fix it. It seems to work well on the later cars, so Porsche must have identified the issue. Right?

Quick Reply: Question on comfort access