Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on comfort access

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 10:09 PM
Pegg
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I was able to upload the video to YouTube. The light around the keyfob porsche logo flashes red as the CA system recognizes/pops the door handle. Here is the link:

The following 6 users liked this post by Pegg:
coastal (07-23-2021), JHesketh (11-26-2019), markchristenson (11-27-2019), mathus7 (06-15-2020), SDK Autos (12-22-2019), soguinness (11-26-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-2019, 10:29 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

^^^ awesome! Maybe this issue just needed a little time to fix.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:20 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

I am so confused.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:44 AM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pegg
I was able to upload the video to YouTube. The light around the keyfob porsche logo flashes red as the CA system recognizes/pops the door handle. Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/ktQwNA9Hk-g
it does look awesome

however

what if you are getting near the car but don’t want it opened?
for eg there are hostile people near the car?
Old 11-27-2019, 09:10 AM
Kansas32
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the video. I have a call into my service rep and your video will help me to show him the problem.
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 10:04 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

Geese Louise! Do any of the electronic gizmos on this car work without 3 hours of studying and a work around? The door handles, the Homelink, the A.S.S., the CarPlay. Anything else? It seems that everyone is elated with the performance and handling but that virtually everything else is cumbersome (at best) and annoying. Can you open and close the windows via actual switches or do you have to navigate 3 layers deep? How about changing a radio station (if anyone other than me still listened to actual radio)? Everything should be at ones fingertips in a sports car so things can be selected without losing focus on the road. I just don’t get why everything seems to be purposely convoluted. And Porsche puts the ignition on the left for an immediate getaway. How ironic that the silly door handles delay the getaway. Maybe in the 992.2 they will put the ignition switch into the menu too just to further convolute things!
The following 4 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
Overdraft (12-04-2019), RudyP (12-02-2019), SamD (11-29-2019), worf928 (12-03-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 12:24 PM
sansan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas32
Thanks for the video. I have a call into my service rep and your video will help me to show him the problem.
I'm doing the same. If anyone else makes progress please post to the board!
Old 11-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Golfster
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm a fan of the door handles and their operation with CA.
  • There is a general misunderstanding on how the handles and CA are supposed to operate. Pages 64, 65 and 66 of the manual cover CA and my car works as described in the manual 100% of the time.
  • The manual does not state the door handles pop out automatically when one approaches the car with the key from a few to several feet away, NOR would I want them to. Don't mix up Tesla or Range Rover Velar with the intended design of the 992.
    • Think about this, you may have the key in your pocket as you're simply walking around the car, say in the garage or driveway. Do you want them popping out just because you're close to the car but not intending to unlock the car? No.
    • Maybe you're buffing the car's finish and have the key fob in your pocket. Would you want the handle to suddenly pop out as the buffer passes? No.
    • You're parked in an unlit area, you approach the car but it unlocks from several feet or yards away and an unsavory type jumps in the car ahead of you. Not desirable.
  • The manual does state that, with key in trouser pocket, the door handle will pop out when one's hand is positioned under the door handle. Of note, the manual cautions not to touch the proximity sensor indent on the left side (US spec) of the door handle while trying to unlock the car. Touching the indent locks the car. Touching under the handle (more towards the right) unlocks the car.
  • One can select if they want just the driver's door or both doors to unlock. This setting is found in the PCM settings, CAR>CONTROL>LOCKING. This is covered in more detail on page 205.
  • My daily driver is a Macan GTS, also with CA. Both cars work essentially the same, save for the handle pop-out feature on the 911. CA works essentially the same with the M4 I had previously as well as Mercedes with the equivalent of CA.
    • In the Macan, touching behind the handle unlocks the car. Touching the indent on the front of the handle locks the car. The Macan doesn't unlock automatically when approaching the car nor do 991's with the CA feature. They do, however, unlock/lock with the hand at door handle in the correct position. Simple.
    • In the 911 (992), touching under the handle pops out the handle and unlocks the car. Touching the indent on the front left (US spec) of handle locks the car. Equally simple.
And to add, opening the frunk with the wave of the hand over the front of the lid is a nice feature as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by Golfster:
jkautz (11-27-2019), Patriot (11-30-2019), Schwarz992C4S (03-06-2020)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:40 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfster
I'm a fan of the door handles and their operation with CA.
  • There is a general misunderstanding on how the handles and CA are supposed to operate. Pages 64, 65 and 66 of the manual cover CA and my car works as described in the manual 100% of the time.
  • The manual does not state the door handles pop out automatically when one approaches the car with the key from a few to several feet away, NOR would I want them to. Don't mix up Tesla or Range Rover Velar with the intended design of the 992.
    • Think about this, you may have the key in your pocket as you're simply walking around the car, say in the garage or driveway. Do you want them popping out just because you're close to the car but not intending to unlock the car? No.
    • Maybe you're buffing the car's finish and have the key fob in your pocket. Would you want the handle to suddenly pop out as the buffer passes? No.
    • You're parked in an unlit area, you approach the car but it unlocks from several feet or yards away and an unsavory type jumps in the car ahead of you. Not desirable.
  • The manual does state that, with key in trouser pocket, the door handle will pop out when one's hand is positioned under the door handle. Of note, the manual cautions not to touch the proximity sensor indent on the left side (US spec) of the door handle while trying to unlock the car. Touching the indent locks the car. Touching under the handle (more towards the right) unlocks the car.
  • One can select if they want just the driver's door or both doors to unlock. This setting is found in the PCM settings, CAR>CONTROL>LOCKING. This is covered in more detail on page 205.
  • My daily driver is a Macan GTS, also with CA. Both cars work essentially the same, save for the handle pop-out feature on the 911. CA works essentially the same with the M4 I had previously as well as Mercedes with the equivalent of CA.
    • In the Macan, touching behind the handle unlocks the car. Touching the indent on the front of the handle locks the car. The Macan doesn't unlock automatically when approaching the car nor do 991's with the CA feature. They do, however, unlock/lock with the hand at door handle in the correct position. Simple.
    • In the 911 (992), touching under the handle pops out the handle and unlocks the car. Touching the indent on the front left (US spec) of handle locks the car. Equally simple.
And to add, opening the frunk with the wave of the hand over the front of the lid is a nice feature as well.
That seems to make sense. Until the sensors are able to intuit our intentions, the from-the-factory behavior is probably the best option for most of us.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:02 PM
Kansas32
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

So......I replaced the original battery in the key (CR2032) and now the door handles function as stated in the owners manual. Perhaps the OE batteries were defective. The response is immediate when you place your hand under the door handle and the door opens smoothly rather than the jerky way it felt when I first took delivery. The door now feels like a proper 992!

Last edited by Kansas32; 11-27-2019 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 09:22 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

I was able to upload the video to YouTube. The light around the keyfob porsche logo flashes red as the CA system recognizes/pops the door handle.
I was always under the impression the CA option worked like this... 2:05

Either way, if it works like your video or like the one I linked. I’ll be happy
Old 11-27-2019, 09:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas32
So......I replaced the original battery in the key (CR2032) and now the door handles function as stated in the owners manual. Perhaps the OE batteries were defective. The response is immediate when you place your hand under the door handle and the door opens smoothly rather than the jerky way it felt when I first took delivery. The door now feels like a proper 992!
So is this an issue that can simply be addressed by getting a new battery in fob? Has anyone else tried this?
Old 11-29-2019, 05:13 PM
Joey Seminara
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

https://youtu.be/ktQwNA9Hk-g
damn I even tried changing the battery, I checked the menu to see that it wasn't checked. when I approach the car it doesn't do anything. sometimes even when I place my hand on the handle it doesn't.

I guess I need to make an appointment.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:50 PM
Joey Seminara
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
So is this an issue that can simply be addressed by getting a new battery in fob? Has anyone else tried this?
I tried this. didn't work
Old 12-02-2019, 03:35 PM
sansan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

Anyone make any headway on this?

Quick Reply: Question on comfort access