Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on comfort access

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 12:18 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

The whole door handle design is a step backwards. There was nothing wrong with the ones on previous generations, now it's just something else to go wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
JHesketh (11-26-2019), TurboS_GG (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 12:52 PM
ffm99x
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 19 Posts

The door handles are freakin awesome. Looking hot. It is only a shame the comfort access is such a pain. But IMO the handles are a step in the right direction. I almost once bought one of those velars just for the handles.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:19 PM
b4p
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pegg
JHesketh,

I had the same issue with my CA (door handle not popping up when walking towards the car with the key). I had my dealer look at it and it now functions as supposed to about 95% of the time (I don’t know if this was a software fix?). I agree that locking the car can sometimes be cumbersome as the sensor in the handle does not always recognize that I am trying to lock the car.
Is there any way you can find out what they did? I would love for my dealer to give me the same fix, but they don't seem to know what I'm talking about.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:26 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

I thinks, regardless of the bad implementation, it is tough to skip this option given that it is such a basic comfort option you find in all modern cars. I’d be afraid it would impact the resale value if I didn’t opt in for the CA option.
The following users liked this post:
TAch Miami (12-01-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 03:58 PM
sansan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes.

QUOTE=sansan;16250976]Are you saying your door handles now pop out by themselves when you are approaching your car?
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by JHesketh
Afraid not. You have to reach with your fingers underneath to get the handle to extend, then grip it and pull it.

Would have been useful if proximity sensor extended handle and unlocked car on approach. You know... just like when you push the remote unlock button as you approach your car.

Sorry... don’t mean to sound sarcastic. The car is great, I love it but the ergonomics of CA are clunky - it’s a poor implementation that make complication rather than adding seamless flow.
Confused. I was told you had to reach under the door handle to get them to pop out. However Pegg is saying they now deploy by themselves as you walk towards the car.

Pegg, can you please take a pic of your service order so we can see what update they did? If handled just pop out automatically upon approach that would be great.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 PM
Kansas32
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes please, a picture of the service order would be great and helpful.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:41 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sansan
Confused. I was told you had to reach under the door handle to get them to pop out. However Pegg is saying they now deploy by themselves as you walk towards the car.
i can only answer for my car:

- when using the remote key button to unlock the car the handles deploy at the same time as the car unlocks.

- when using comfort access the handles only deploy when you put fingers to the underside of the handle.

I understand from my Swiss SA that this is correct operation.
The following 2 users liked this post by JHesketh:
992carreraS (11-26-2019), detansinn (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 09:43 AM
Pegg
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Here are some pictures of me approaching the car with key in hand. The door handle pops after I am a few feet away (PM me if you would like a video). The service record does not state any repair was performed but it does function as it is supposed to after I had them look at it.

markchristenson (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 12:21 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Here are some pictures of me approaching the car with key in hand. The door handle pops after I am a few feet away (PM me if you would like a video). The service record does not state any repair was performed but it does function as it is supposed to after I had them look at it.

Huh! Well that’s pretty definitive.

Interesting conversation with my SA coming up.
markchristenson (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 12:29 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Huh! Well that’s pretty definitive.

Interesting conversation with my SA coming up.
Interesting that on the work order they noted it is working as intended. Needing the handle to be touched to raise (that’s what she said)

Yet your proximity detection works. So now I don’t know what to expect! 🤯
Old 11-26-2019, 01:34 PM
Kansas32
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you! I wonder if the battery in the key is low on power and the dealer put in a fresh one. I am going to try that before I make a service appointment. I almost turned off the Comfort Access this morning out of frustration.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:11 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by jkautz
Interesting that on the work order they noted it is working as intended. Needing the handle to be touched to raise (that’s what she said)

Yet your proximity detection works. So now I don’t know what to expect! 🤯
Yeah. I think I’m confused as well.

Pegg’s work order says ‘required touch’ yet his senses his proximity and works. Mine doesn’t, and my SA confirms ‘requires touch’ is the official line.

It is almost as if it was originally intended to sense proximity (which would make CA a worthwhile option - and that’s what I thought I’d optioned) but then someone ordered the sensitivity to be dialled right back neutering the facility and thereby rendering the flush handles irritating.

I wonder if it is a security issue or a battery drain problem?
Old 11-26-2019, 03:13 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by Kansas32
I almost turned off the Comfort Access this morning out of frustration.
I did a week into ownership.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:59 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

I did a week into ownership.
Hopefully it really is something that a software update can fix..

Have you since turned it back on to see if any changes have been made? Have you had any updates that you are aware of since turning it off perhaps?
Old 11-26-2019, 05:46 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Out of curiosity: is Comfort Access an option that can be retrofitted later by the dealer? I have not specced it because of all the known issues but if Porsche does end up fixing it I might want to get it later.

Quick Reply: Question on comfort access