Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto stop/start in “Normal” mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 01:33 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

One of the beauties of the 991.1 generation - you can disengage auto start/stop with one press of a very analog button and the function will be off indefinitely, as in, forever if you so choose. Ahh, the good old days...
The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche911GTS'16:
AlexCeres (11-23-2019), Silver911t (04-25-2023), verstraete (11-21-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:02 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry , I forgot the audience. Sarcasm.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:03 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

For those of us without Sport Chrono, the easiest way is to have it as a short cut on your home page. It's the first thing i do, once thing spool up on the screen, which onto itself, is annoying....but those brakes, speed, handling......
Old 11-23-2019, 01:30 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

To be honest I think it's better as a shortcut on the screen anyways; then you can use the standard/base mode as you're getting out of the garage and the car is warming up mode, individual for a blend of features that differ from the base and sport modes, and the sport/sport plus for their features. If you always switch out of standard to bypass start/stop you've essentially lost a mode.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:36 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by PBM
Its a Car made in the EU ( or the sate of greater German if they get their way) and that is part of the regulatory requirement here , right wrong for those unable to adapt. One big "button" configured one "home" screen and its a zero thing.
Personally I don't miss the hand crank for the engine and being forced to accept that electric starter nonsense

Old 11-25-2019, 01:02 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

When I first started the car today, and once thereafter, both the Auto Stop/Start widget and the Apple Car Play widget were instantly there, fully present. In the past, i would have to wait 45 seconds for both of these to spool up. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 11-25-2019, 06:01 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 992carreraS
When I first started the car today, and once thereafter, both the Auto Stop/Start widget and the Apple Car Play widget were instantly there, fully present. In the past, i would have to wait 45 seconds for both of these to spool up. Anyone else experiencing this?
I have had the car about 5 months and I never have to wait ( Start/stop and sports exhaust widget ) they are always present at moment after ignition on. I don't use car play though. However ...today on a restart , I had to wait ~ 15 seconds for the widgets ....but I put this down to a pushed automatic update happening , as it popped up message about update complete shortly there after. I my car, I seem to have ( compared to what people post on forums) almost no noticeable gremlins on the PCM . To be honest, I don't fiddle with it much and I don't allow the phone to do anything more than phone function.

I notice the Mclaren people sometimes mentioning in on forum , that their cars maybe do not like switch straight to engine start without a reasonable pause when turning on the ignition. Like their cars need to settle a moment with all the advanced systems trying to get running properly ...before engine start. Maybe our 992 have a little of this ? . Since I am not usually in some bursting hurry to get going, I always tend to turn on and wait at least 10 seconds while the PCM gets its act together ..then start. The pursuit and desire for ever increasing functions and complexity and decreasing roll out schedules, somewhat guarantees issues. This is my area of work .

The LEDs on the M and P buttons ( in particular M) have a life of their own in my car whether they want to show or not . The instrument display always shows correct mode and the control always function . That and a couple of rattles need attending too when it 1st goes back to Porsche ( which now that weather has turned seems like good time )
Old 11-25-2019, 01:50 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom911ATL
Yes you can. Those “quick access “ buttons can be set to turn on/off the auto start/stop.
The other easy way is to configure your Individual driving mode. You can select chassis settings, exhaust, start/stop,... Then save those as your Individual settings. You could just duplicate the Normal driving mode settings with auto start/stop disabled. When you start the car, just flip the driving mode from Normal to Individual.
Originally Posted by porsche07
I've just programmed by "Individual" setting to full normal mode but with the auto start/stop disabled. That is probably the easiest way, but you do have the annoyance of having to turn the dial all the way to individual. I wish they would have put it to the left of "Normal" mode.
This is what I've done in my Cayenne, where I have an individual button on the center stack which I push every time I start the car to simply defeat A/S/S. Whether by switching the manettino or shortcut on the PCM display, not too different from what existed in the 991.2 generation (physical buttons vs touch a much larger & different debate IMO)

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
One of the beauties of the 991.1 generation - you can disengage auto start/stop with one press of a very analog button and the function will be off indefinitely, as in, forever if you so choose. Ahh, the good old days...
Lol I can see someone replying to you - one of the beauties of the 997 generations, no A/S/S at all... Ahh the good ol days... change is inevitable
Old 04-18-2022, 11:52 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,796 Likes on 970 Posts

I like the feature, but mine seems to only work intermittently and I get the icon on the digital dash. Is there a way to make it shut off at stops consistently?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-19-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:26 AM
nuporsche
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Great thread. I would like to somehow program a Normal mode, Auto stop/start disengaged, Performance exhaust open. Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2022, 10:00 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by nuporsche
Great thread. I would like to somehow program a Normal mode, Auto stop/start disengaged, Performance exhaust open. Any ideas?

Yes. Just program those settings into your Individual option.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (07-03-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 11:10 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
I like the feature, but mine seems to only work intermittently and I get the icon on the digital dash. Is there a way to make it shut off at stops consistently?
It will operate based upon the state of your battery and whether or not the engine is up to temp.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:21 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Consider that when your car is hot or you are in heavy stop and go traffic whether you want the oil/coolant flow to/from your turbos interrupted even if for only seconds or a few minutes maybe. I disable A/S/S for that reason. Personally, I am less concerned about My MPG/emissions than my turbos…..but that’s just me. Others opinions may differ.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:34 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Consider that when your car is hot or you are in heavy stop and go traffic whether you want the oil/coolant flow to/from your turbos interrupted even if for only seconds or a few minutes maybe. I disable A/S/S for that reason. Personally, I am less concerned about My MPG/emissions than my turbos…..but that’s just me. Others opinions may differ.
I suspect that the 99.99% of the opinions that differ are those of the EPA (and its counterparts in other countries) and environmentalists. *** exists to meet emissions/mpg rules and for zero other (good) reason.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:26 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

Having lived in Germany from 89' - 91', Germans would routinely shut their cars off at stop lights... A/C be damned if they even had A/C. So the idea is not new to Germans. I don't mind A/S/S except that it engages when I don't want it to - for example when I come to a momentary stop on my driveway. Otherwise, I don't mind it. Thus, in my22 I have it assigned to a button so that I can turn it on/off.

Quick Reply: Auto stop/start in “Normal” mode