Sponsored by:

Auto stop/start in “Normal” mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Jeff2007911C4S
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto stop/start in “Normal” mode

I hate that Porsche denies me the option of turning auto stop/ start off in Normal mode. When driving at posted speed limits around town the PDK rarely shifts any higher than 5th gear. Sport mode shift points are too long. Yeah, I know all the haters will criticize my driving habits. I have had it over 110 and Sport plus is a hoot but sometimes I just want to cruise along and collect admiring glances! (And Save Gas!)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Tom911ATL
Track Day

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

You can turn off the auto start/stop when in Normal mode. In the PCM select the Car menu and then the Drive menu to find the start/stop disable. It is a hassle to navigate to so I customized my Home screen and put a shortcut there to disable it.
Hope this helps!
The following 4 users liked this post by Tom911ATL:
992carreraS (11-22-2019), Andy2021 (07-02-2022), G650 (11-18-2019), guffdude (07-03-2022)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:50 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom911ATL
You can turn off the auto start/stop when in Normal mode. In the PCM select the Car menu and then the Drive menu to find the start/stop disable. It is a hassle to navigate to so I customized my Home screen and put a shortcut there to disable it.
Hope this helps!
Can you customize the “favorite” toggle switch to turn on/off the start/stop function?
Old 11-18-2019, 02:57 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

I disable mine from the Home screen with every startup. It's very frustrating that you can't have it disabled by default, but Porsche made lots of crazy fuel economy/emissions promises to regulators, so, it's not that surprising.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:09 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I disable mine from the Home screen with every startup. It's very frustrating that you can't have it disabled by default, but Porsche made lots of crazy fuel economy/emissions promises to regulators, so, it's not that surprising.
Is there a hidden service menu where the default can be set to OFF?
Old 11-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Tom911ATL
Track Day

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
Can you customize the “favorite” toggle switch to turn on/off the start/stop function?
Yes you can. Those “quick access “ buttons can be set to turn on/off the auto start/stop.
The other easy way is to configure your Individual driving mode. You can select chassis settings, exhaust, start/stop,... Then save those as your Individual settings. You could just duplicate the Normal driving mode settings with auto start/stop disabled. When you start the car, just flip the driving mode from Normal to Individual.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tom911ATL:
G650 (11-18-2019), jkautz (11-18-2019), michaelp (04-25-2022)
Old 11-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
Sadly not as far as I know. (and I asked same question at the factory when I took delivery there.). What I did is programed it in "Individual Mode", so I twist the drive select switch on the steering wheel 3 clicks clockwise without touching the screen to disable it. I drive mostly in Sport which has it disabled as well. (one click clockwise) It is a shame, I really hate the auto start/stop... and now I have to get in the car and select this plus push a button for manual mode every time.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:17 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom911ATL
Yes you can. Those “quick access “ buttons can be set to turn on/off the auto start/stop.
That doesn't show up as an option on the PCM list of shortcuts for those buttons in my car!!!
Old 11-18-2019, 03:55 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully the favorite toggle will be able to have it as an option. Fingers crossed.

But it looks like the individual mode looks to be the most common way to fix it. I’d ultimately like to have my individual mode customized to be identical to normal mode, except auto start/stop feature disabled.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:04 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

It can be added to favorites if they program it in, not sure it's the most efficient use of those shortcuts since ideally you'd put something there used more than once a startup. On the other hand the EPA requires the car to default to the setting used for certification at every startup so Porsche had no choice but set up the car that way. BMW got around this by presenting data to the EPA showing that most owners immediately turned it off upon startup and got an exemption allowing the dealership to turn it off at the owners request which you can have it done before you drive off the lot. So I get they need to improve their numbers but what I don't get is that to my knowledge no one else has asked for or obtained the same exemption. Porsche could do it just as easily as BMW did and it's a little baffling to me that they haven't gone there yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by krabman:
detansinn (11-18-2019), NA011 (07-06-2022)
Old 11-18-2019, 04:06 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by krabman
It can be added to favorites if they program it in, not sure it's the most efficient use of those shortcuts since ideally you'd put something there used more than once a startup. On the other hand the EPA requires the car to default to the setting used for certification at every startup so Porsche had no choice but set up the car that way. BMW got around this by presenting data to the EPA showing that most owners immediately turned it off upon startup and got an exemption allowing the dealership to turn it off at the owners request which you can have it done before you drive off the lot. So I get they need to improve their numbers but what I don't get is that to my knowledge no one else has asked for or obtained the same exemption. Porsche could do it just as easily as BMW did and it's a little baffling to me that they haven't gone there yet.
Given the VW group’s history with emissions, I am unsurprised that they are playing it straight here.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:19 PM
porsche07
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I've just programmed by "Individual" setting to full normal mode but with the auto start/stop disabled. That is probably the easiest way, but you do have the annoyance of having to turn the dial all the way to individual. I wish they would have put it to the left of "Normal" mode.
The following users liked this post:
jkautz (11-18-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 09:51 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 670 Posts

It seems like the real problem here is that there is no physical button for A.S.S. It’s the same with the idiotic Homelink
sapman (04-18-2023)
Old 11-19-2019, 10:55 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Its a Car made in the EU ( or the sate of greater German if they get their way) and that is part of the regulatory requirement here , right wrong for those unable to adapt. One big "button" configured one "home" screen and its a zero thing.
Personally I don't miss the hand crank for the engine and being forced to accept that electric starter nonsense
Old 11-19-2019, 07:30 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by PBM
Its a Car made in the EU ( or the sate of greater German if they get their way) and that is part of the regulatory requirement here , right wrong for those unable to adapt. One big "button" configured one "home" screen and its a zero thing.
Personally I don't miss the hand crank for the engine and being forced to accept that electric starter nonsense
Wow! Equating a dedicated button for A.S.S. to a hand crank starter is quite a leap! The analogue tach must make driving the car, just like riding a horse. 😉
verstraete (11-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Auto stop/start in “Normal” mode