Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

PCCB on base Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Spec'ing a lightly equipped Carrera as close to $100k as possible but I do want to get the 20/21" wheels. I know the brakes will look puny in those wheels which will definitely bug me. To make matters worse, the car will spend most of its life on a lift that I'll be walking by daily and looking into those gorgeous wheels and seeing the smallish and soon to be corroding steel brakes.
Upgrading to PCCB is about $9k which would seem to make no sense at all in view of my spec and price goals, but I do appreciate their benefits and like their looks and the yellow calipers. On the other hand, upgrading to the S is "only" about another $5k more, and I get to enjoy the extra 65hp plus the slightly larger though still steel red brakes, but now I've really blown out my budget. I also imagine that when I eventually sell it, I'll more than make up the extra $5k on the S over an odd ball PCCB base car.
Probably the best solution is to stick with the standard 19/20" wheels which seem to be designed to make the standard brakes fill the wheel better - but I really think the larger wheels are part of the 992's new "look".
What would you do in my position?
Your perspective on resale is bang on target. Get the S. Or even better hold out 6 months and buy a used s with PCCB for less than your base with PCCB. There are already a few used 992s on Autotrader.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
I've been going back and forth myself on an order on I placed with regard to PCCBs. As superficial as this sounds, I would have spec'd them if I was going with a color combo other than silver and red. And paying an extra G for glossy black is something I won't do.

The benefits I see are as follows
No brake dust
Lifetime service life (for street use)
More fade resistance

The drawbacks are
Susceptible to chipping.
Some apparentlysqueak.
Track use can seriously shorten their service life.
Very expensive $25k to replace all 4.

Questions I still have,
They do reduce unsprung rotor weight by half, however, is there any noticeable performance benefit to this.
Breaking distance, is it significantly better.
How about breaking feel for everyday street use.

Unfortunately, I never really paid close attention to the breaks in cars I've driven with PCCBs so maybe an enthusiastic test drive focused on such would help.
Zero squeaks on my PCCBs but I did not have them on my Reds either - I bedded both sets with new pads. They are not going to chip unless you are careless, such as when mounting wheels. There is a chance a stone or something could chip them but that is not likely. My front end does feel lighter, even with stock wheels and the braking distance is a LOT better, and the feel to me is great. They are not too touchy but there is a point where they will bite and grab albeit you will get used to that real quick. Personally I cannot think of anything negative about them and I still give my SA crap every time we chat about him talking me out of them on my build...I am lucky in that I would up being real close to the ordered cost when all was said and done.
The following users liked this post:
jkautz (11-09-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 12:00 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Everyone is free to spend their money in any way they desire when making a purchase.

Wrong or right isn't an issue, happiness and satisfaction are what's important.

For myself, I try to balance out what you actually need and what you want. What you want may not be what you need or even be practical.

Still comes back to being happy and satisfied.

Enjoy the process OP, good luck!

PS:
For the most part, the PTX GTS fleet has PCCBs with lugged wheels. The chief instructor explained that the PCCBs will last the same as several sets of the steel brakes, however, their costs aren't what us civilians would pay.
Several posts have been made on the forum by track drivers who state they use steel brakes due to replacement costs. I drove PCCBs this summer at PTX and they exhibited no noise or fade, but then, the steel brakes on the Cayman I drove there was also quiet with no fade. I'll there again this next week and see how they go in cooler ambient temps.

Last edited by BSO; 11-10-2019 at 12:16 AM.
DavePugh (11-11-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 03:09 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by njcycleguy
It would be a waste of MY money, which is MY opinion, which is what the OP essentially asked for.

As I said, buy what YOU want.

I do agree the yellow calipers look much better than red but again not for $8k.
the calipers, the discs, the hubs, and the lack of break dust.... throw in the better performance, and the near lifetime usage.. and it's the best $9K I spent on that car.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
Bobby 911 (11-11-2019), Porsch (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 03:12 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I understood what you meant, no worries. I could have spec'd my car with every option available, but I didn't since some of them did not seem useful or likable to me, so I can understand different points of view; however, I do not believe any option is a waste of money for someone that is willing to pay for it.
I've had more than one person say how crazy I was to spec a 4S out to $179K but my response was simple... a) I wanted those items, and b)I can afford them... end of discussion.
The following 3 users liked this post by 992Sam:
detansinn (11-10-2019), plasticam (11-10-2019), Porsch (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 08:28 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

A 911 is a waste of money. It's pointless to even worry about this.

Will you get your money back on trade in? No. The PCCBs do not add value on resale. Options are a terrible "investment" in general.

Will it get you the look you want with added performance and way easier cleaning? Definitely.

Like with most things in life - If you want it and can afford it, then get it. Only you can answer the question, "Do I really want to spend $9k on this."

Personally, I'd do it. PCCBs are cool.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:12 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

PCCBs are a waste of money. They look cool but the price doesn't equal the improvement in looks. And FYI - no one will care about them when you trade / sell it - more so on a base 911. Had them on my 997 GT3, no one cared. Didn't have them on my 991 GT3. No one cared.
Probably some of the most short-sighted/misguided advice I've read on Rennlist -- and that's saying something. There are many individuals who consider the absence of PCCBs a deal-breaker when buying a pcar. Honestly, at 9K they are a no-brainer cost option imo, try buying them after the fact and see how much they cost! And anyone who thinks PCCBs is just about their great looks is just lost.
The following 4 users liked this post by Porsch:
992Sam (11-10-2019), Bobby 911 (11-11-2019), detansinn (11-11-2019), pcar-yvr (10-18-2020)
Old 11-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I've had more than one person say how crazy I was to spec a 4S out to $179K but my response was simple... a) I wanted those items, and b)I can afford them... end of discussion.
Trust me, most if not all of those people simply couldn't afford your spec. Jealousy is ugly but it sure is rampant among sportscar enthusiasts!
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsch:
992Sam (11-10-2019), Bobby 911 (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 01:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch
Trust me, most if not all of those people simply couldn't afford your spec. Jealousy is ugly but it sure is rampant among sportscar enthusiasts!
And, in particular, especially rampant among sportscar enthusiasts here on Rennlist.
Bobby 911 (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 03:21 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I'd get only exactly what you want if you have the privilege of doing your own spec, not what may or may not make the most financial sense. Never really understood that line of thinking buying a brand new luxury car that will take a decent hit the moment you drive off the lot regardless, just go for what your heart wants that's why we buy these things

I ordered a base C4 and also upgraded the wheels to the 20/21 setup (love the Carrera classic style on 992). The smaller-ish brakes in the larger wheels don't bother me, I had the 20' RS Spyder wheels on base brakes for my 991.2 C4 as well

Brake dust does suck with the standard brakes or the S reds, and I would have opted for PCCB for my 992 C4 if it was my only sports car but I already have another with ceramics so I wanted to keep my C4 build as bare as possible (and still had over 20k in options). The stopping power and bite is unreal, they look killer, and no brake dust which is very nice

YMMV
PeterB123 (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 11:11 PM
njcycleguy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Porsch
Probably some of the most short-sighted/misguided advice I've read on Rennlist -- and that's saying something. There are many individuals who consider the absence of PCCBs a deal-breaker when buying a pcar. Honestly, at 9K they are a no-brainer cost option imo, try buying them after the fact and see how much they cost! And anyone who thinks PCCBs is just about their great looks is just lost.
And your post may be the most irresponsible comment I've read here on Rennlist. PCCBs are a "no-brainer" option? Care to share your ownership experience to base that statement on? And whose brain are we discussing, YOURS or MINE?

Originally Posted by WCE
Upgrading to PCCB is about $9k which would seem to make no sense at all in view of my spec and price goals, but I do appreciate their benefits and like their looks and the yellow calipers. On the other hand, upgrading to the S is "only" about another $5k more, and I get to enjoy the extra 65hp plus the slightly larger though still steel red brakes, but now I've really blown out my budget. I also imagine that when I eventually sell it, I'll more than make up the extra $5k on the S over an odd ball PCCB base car..
As the OP points out in his initial post, his concern is a balance of spec/price goals, but as evident by the remainder of his points, pricing and value are more of a concern. He already knows the right answer, he just wants confirmation that it's the right one. So.. to that point, and to clarify my original point (and since some of you are so easily triggered by the term 'waste of money' and PCCBs in the same sentence), I will assure you that on resale or trade-in, which is what most derive value from, a base 911 with PCCBs will not be worth more than one without - I think that point has been pretty well made in this thread. It makes more financial sense to purchase an S without PCCBs than a base car with PCCBs which the OP already knows as more value is derived from the $8k being put towards the S, especially at trade-in time.

In terms of real-world performance and experience, I've owned several 911s and a few GT3s. I've never felt the PCCBs have warranted the cost. I've had better pedal feel and performance with my non-PCCB cars - and the benefit of no squeaks. On resale, buyers never pointed out the cars had PCCBs, nor were they deciding factors when purchasing. That said, I will agree that GT3s with PCCBs may be more desirable than one without (even though they didn't affect my personal sales), but GT3s are significantly different cars than base 911s, both from a performance and market perspective. Again, I'm speaking from real-world, first hand experience as an owner, not a speculator.

I think the point here is that we are all free to express our opinions on what options work for us - and what don't - and we do that with our wallet. Different strokes for different folks. I think the OP has enough opinions now, along with links to other threads, to make an educated decision as to what will work from him.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:22 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Let us know what you decide WCE.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:34 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

It makes more financial sense to purchase an S without PCCBs than a base car with PCCBs which the OP already knows as more value is derived from the $8k being put towards the S, especially at trade-in time.
I'm in the camp that would LOVE PCCB on my cars. But if it was between PCCB base and non-PCCB 'S' (budget restricting, I couldn't have both)? I agree: it'd be S all day and twice on Sunday. I'd much rather have the better model than PCCB.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:37 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
I'm in the camp that would LOVE PCCB on my cars. But if it was between PCCB base and non-PCCB 'S' (budget restricting, I couldn't have both)? I agree: it'd be S all day and twice on Sunday. I'd much rather have the better model than PCCB.
I’d rather get a PCCB base and spend $3k on a tune and push 470+ HP without mods. About 30HP more than an S for $13k less
The following 2 users liked this post by jkautz:
pcar-yvr (10-18-2020), pfbz (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 12:47 AM
Airbus Raider
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I ordered this set, also PCCB but much cheaper

The following 2 users liked this post by Airbus Raider:
PBM (11-18-2019), TurboS_GG (11-12-2019)

Quick Reply: PCCB on base Carrera?