Final specs - change my mind!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 12:44 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblack
Ok, thoughts on rim options! I was leaning towards the Spyder design but the other ones don't look half bad! Cheaper as well but platinum paint.....I have never had painted rims. Does the paint wear off? Are they harder to maintain?

The Spyder design wheels for the 992 are one of the best, if not, the best OEM wheel options out there.

Almost all modern wheels are painted.
The following users liked this post:
darkblack (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 01:10 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Almost all modern wheels are painted.
Including the Spyder wheels?!
Old 11-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 103 Posts

Including the Spyder wheels?!
I wouldn’t worry about the factory painted wheels - I’ve never had an issue with peeling. I loved the look of the Spyder wheels on my C2S but a couple of comments about them:
  • cleaning them is a PITA and,
  • finding a colour match for touch ups was extremely difficult (I had a rock chip on one of mine).
As far as the seat options are concerned, I’ve had both the 4 way sport plus and 18 ways. My 981 had the 4 ways and for 5 years were fine and had 991.2 with 18 ways at the same time. Based on being under 5’10 and under 170 lbs (athletic build), I’ve toyed with the adjustments on the 18 ways and keep coming back to not extending the seat bottom on the 18 ways (ie: same as the 4 ways) and not narrowing the side supports for either the seat or back. I recently drove approx 1500 miles from Canada to Florida and did move the lumbar adjustment a few times but in daily driving, I keep it “off” so the 4 ways work great for me. The seats in the 992 are a little different and have only sat in the 14 ways which I knew immediately were not the right seats for me. YMMV.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:57 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
And IMO to no real benefit. I’ve driven PDCC 991 & non-PDCC with no real benefit in ride quality, even around corners. PASM already eliminates body roll. PDCC is designed to make a larger vehicle feel smaller around turns. The 911 isn’t some truck or SUV rolling down the roads.. this is just my opinion after testing both a while back. I’m sure those that HAVE PDCC will justify it to the bitter end. But we should all know what it was designed to do. Those who have it.. more power to you
The factory teams all choose Spam and PDCC and RAS for the Nordschleife lap timing. I have noticed no degradation in ride quality with SPASM versus SPASM. The 911 is a dual purpose car. With the performance options it is marvelous in all aspects of driving, not just track. This is my 10th Porsche. I'm not buying another 911 without these performance options. If all you need is a daily driver to get to work, a $15k Toyota Corolla is best. If you want the best optioned sports car in the world, yes get at least a 911S, with the 3 performance options. 4 if you get the superlative performing PDK.
Yes the Porsche factory teams will set Nordschleife lap times for the S and GTS with all these performance options, 992's (7:24 for the S & ??? for the GTS), as they did with the 991.2's (7:30 for the S & 7:24 for GTS)
Old 11-10-2019, 03:10 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
The factory teams all choose Spam and PDCC and RAS for the Nordschleife lap timing. I have noticed no degradation in ride quality with SPASM versus SPASM. The 911 is a dual purpose car. With the performance options it is marvelous in all aspects of driving, not just track. This is my 10th Porsche. I'm not buying another 911 without these performance options. If all you need is a daily driver to get to work, a $15k Toyota Corolla is best. If you want the best optioned sports car in the world, yes get at least a 911S, with the 3 performance options. 4 if you get the superlative performing PDK.
Yes the Porsche factory teams will set Nordschleife lap times for the S and GTS with all these performance options, 992's (7:24 for the S & ??? for the GTS), as they did with the 991.2's (7:30 for the S & 7:24 for GTS)
Porsche will throw anything they can on to split hairs and get the best time. Will anyone be flying around the Nurburgring testing the limits of the car? 99% will not.

SPASM lowers the car, stiffens the ride. PASM in sport suspension will have the same ride as SPASM without lowering it. RAS is technically a cheat for any manufacturer testing with it. All racing circuits you follow; from Formula 1 to IMSA races, do not allow 4-wheel steering.

Like I’ve said before, I’d only opt for PDCC if it had not forced you to add-on RAS. However, PDCC is and will always be best for large SUV’s that have heavy body roll attributes.
darkblack (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 03:26 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
Porsche will throw anything they can on to split hairs and get the best time. Will anyone be flying around the Nurburgring testing the limits of the car? 99% will not.
SPASM lowers the car, stiffens the ride. PASM in sport suspension will have the same ride as SPASM without lowering it. RAS is technically a cheat for any manufacturer testing with it. All racing circuits you follow; from Formula 1 to IMSA races, do not allow 4-wheel steering.
Like I’ve said before, I’d only opt for PDCC if it had not forced you to add-on RAS. However, PDCC is and will always be best for large SUV’s that have heavy body roll attributes.
If you never push the limits in your 911, road or track, why buy a 911? But if a poser, that would be understandable.
darkblack (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 03:37 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
If you never push the limits in your 911, road or track, why buy a 911? But if a poser, that would be understandable.
My 911 will be tracked on occasion. More than most can say.. and I would PASS on all three options. The real poser would be those who get those options and never test the limits..
darkblack (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 04:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Whats the advantage over regular brakes other than keeping the rims brake-dust free and awesome braking power, I assume? Do I really NEED PCCBs on a DD?
Better question.

Does anyone need anything in a 911? Or, really, a 911 at all?

These are all wants.

Get what you want.

Enjoy.

Live happy. Die happier.
darkblack (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 05:14 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Depends on how you DD. For example, do you park in the city, drive near debris-filled environments, lots of quick weather changes?

I was strongly considering PCCB's until I discovered the following possibilities. Rocks and debris lodging in wheel. Happened few times on my steels, made some unsettling noises for a few miles, but overall was an afterthought. On ceramics? That's a prescription for $10,000 and a flatbed to the nearest service center.

Number two, when it turns wet or temperature drops to cold suddenly, I read that there is no braking until you pump it multiple times. God forbid you happen to forget before going forth.

Finally, it wouldn't be far from reality to think that vandals could target those brakes. Parking in the metro for example. With steel brakes it's not much an issue, but I've heard stories of uncouth dregs specifically sabotaging the large yellow calipers. With just spit and body fluids plastered on my Porsche I find it quite amusing, but not so much when I'm sitting out regretting why I didn't opt for those "ordinary" steel brakes because some high-achiever took a crowbar to my wheel just because his boss yelled at him.

I did test drive a Turbo S and for DD purposes I didn't particularly find that it was worthwhile over the steels. The feel is somewhat different; it feels less linear, slightly abrupt stopping yet manageable. Still, I preferred the feel of the steel brakes as far as daily driving the cars.

As with anything in life in order to be successful you need to make the best decision assessing the pros and cons for your specific situation.

Best of luck!

Last edited by sexfiend; 11-10-2019 at 05:30 PM.
darkblack (11-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Final specs - change my mind!