Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final specs - change my mind!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 06:28 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, thoughts on rim options! I was leaning towards the Spyder design but the other ones don't look half bad! Cheaper as well but platinum paint.....I have never had painted rims. Does the paint wear off? Are they harder to maintain?

Old 11-08-2019, 06:50 PM
njcycleguy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

PCCB is a waste of $. Standard steel brakes are exceptional especially for street. I think the PCCBs aesthetically look better and no brake dust is a plus but trade off is 8k and some squeal. Don't expect anyone to pay you more on resale either.
The following users liked this post:
darkblack (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 07:09 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by njcycleguy
PCCB is a waste of $. Standard steel brakes are exceptional especially for street. I think the PCCBs aesthetically look better and no brake dust is a plus but trade off is 8k and some squeal. Don't expect anyone to pay you more on resale either.
Strongly disagree. Besides aesthetics and brake dust. If you plan to keep your car for a long time, it pays for itself. They last forever. I won’t even go into the performance vs standard brakes.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:26 PM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
Strongly disagree. Besides aesthetics and brake dust. If you plan to keep your car for a long time, it pays for itself. They last forever. I won’t even go into the performance vs standard brakes.
I'm on your side buddy, and I promise there is no hate here, but the PCCBs will last for years and miles PROVIDED they dont get damaged.

As I understand it, they are delicate, and can easily chip with a hasty wheel swap; or even score badly with a stone trapped between the disc and pad.

I've never had them, but I did read a lot about this happening - and the risk of having to replace them if damaged was too much for me.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:27 PM
njcycleguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkautz
Pays for itself? Humor me.

$2k for a set of steel brakes incl rotors and pads all around. Average 35k miles for a set (for daily driven cars, non track use).

So I'd have to have 140k miles before they "paid for themselves".

How about the squeaks? Have we mentioned those?

And performance? https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/24/...r-race-tracks/

About the only benefit is the clean wheels and yellow / larger calipers.
soguinness (11-09-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 07:33 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Pays for itself? Humor me.

$2k for a set of steel brakes incl rotors and pads all around. Average 35k miles for a set (for daily driven cars, non track use).

So I'd have to have 140k miles before they "paid for themselves".

How about the squeaks? Have we mentioned those? And performance?

About the only benefit is the clean wheels and yellow / larger calipers.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/24/...r-race-tracks/
I think I mentioned the need to have the car for a long time before it pays for itself. Those that sell their cars after 2 or 3 years will never see any benefit from it. Those that have them and take care of them. Will see savings after said 140k miles.

I agree you shouldn’t get them in a cold environment. I’m in California. I’ll never hear a squeak out of them.

Not only from reading on this forum, but from testing both standard brakes and PCCB’s. Performance should be the pure reason you decide to spring for them alone. I’m not some hardcore tracker either.. The brake dust free clean wheels are an afterthought. I’ve done enough homework to weight the pros and cons. And IMO, pros far outweigh the cons. Opinions may differ, but this is mine, and yours is yours lol
Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ant922599
I'm on your side buddy, and I promise there is no hate here, but the PCCBs will last for years and miles PROVIDED they dont get damaged.

As I understand it, they are delicate, and can easily chip with a hasty wheel swap; or even score badly with a stone trapped between the disc and pad.

I've never had them, but I did read a lot about this happening - and the risk of having to replace them if damaged was too much for me.
Even steels can go through the same risk. Albeit, PCCBs are way more expensive to replace. I think it depends on how well you’re taking care of your car in general.. In all my years, trapping a rock between the caliper and disc has never happened lol

The wheel swap is a good point. I don’t plan on ever doing that here in CA. No need for winter tires. I’d say plenty of people will dismiss them if they often swap wheels. So +1 on that
Old 11-08-2019, 08:03 PM
njcycleguy
Rennlist Member

I've had both PCCBs and Non-PCCBs on 2 GT3s. The difference simply isn't worth it, IMHO.
darkblack (11-09-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

I've had both PCCBs and Non-PCCBs on 2 GT3s. The difference simply isn't worth it, IMHO.
This is a much better subjective opinion vs. dropping the “waste-of-money” coin.
darkblack (11-09-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 11:09 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I'd go with the spyders.
darkblack (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 01:39 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

I went SD front and side skirts, with standard rear end. Why you'd want the license plate breaking up that beautiful backside I'll never know.
The following 2 users liked this post by SDK Autos:
darkblack (11-09-2019), jkautz (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 08:51 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

A couple more comments based on the aforementioned items. PCCB are nice to have to eliminate brake dust, but the cost is high, especially when taxes are added. And their life can be seriously shortened by track use. And they are very prone to chipping during wheel change is not very careful. A PCCB rotor chip will cost $5000. And they don't work well when cold, if that's a factor.

As far as the PDCC versus standard suspension, I should mention i had a C2S with SPASM for 2 years b4 trading for this one with PDCC. The difference is night 🌙 and day 🌞 !! even just driving around suburbia. My previous C2S had a lot of body roll unless in Sport mode, which is harsh riding on a lot of roads. With PDCC, there is no body roll in either mode. My previous C2S would roll when whipping the sure l wheel back and forth for which lane changes and quick S turns. And PDCC is still comfy in normal mode on rough roads and railroad crossings. And, try to guess the reason the Porsche factory teams have chosen 911's equipped with PDCC (when available as an option) to get the hot Nordschleife lap times for each model, since the availability of PDCC?

Sport Design? IMO, it costs too much for what it is. Without a wing, why bother. Why Porsche never offered the AeroCup wing on the 991.2 and 992 is a mystery. I'd save that money and later add a Techart or Vorsteiner or VR wing.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:56 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
A couple more comments based on the aforementioned items. PCCB are nice to have to eliminate brake dust, but the cost is high, especially when taxes are added. And their life can be seriously shortened by track use. And they are very prone to chipping during wheel change is not very careful. A PCCB rotor chip will cost $5000. And they don't work well when cold, if that's a factor.

As far as the PDCC versus standard suspension, I should mention i had a C2S with SPASM for 2 years b4 trading for this one with PDCC. The difference is night 🌙 and day 🌞 !! even just driving around suburbia. My previous C2S had a lot of body roll unless in Sport mode, which is harsh riding on a lot of roads. With PDCC, there is no body roll in either mode. My previous C2S would roll when whipping the sure l wheel back and forth for which lane changes and quick S turns. And PDCC is still comfy in normal mode on rough roads and railroad crossings. And, try to guess the reason the Porsche factory teams have chosen 911's equipped with PDCC (when available as an option) to get the hot Nordschleife lap times for each model, since the availability of PDCC?

Sport Design? IMO, it costs too much for what it is. Without a wing, why bother. Why Porsche never offered the AeroCup wing on the 991.2 and 992 is a mystery. I'd save that money and later add a Techart or Vorsteiner or VR wing.
Are you suggesting getting both SPASM and PDCC? Is it safe to assume it would be same or better for the 992?

I would love to get a wing but how would that work with the actuated rear spoiler?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Jkb545
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 96 Posts

PDCC + SPASM vs PASM alone is an interesting question. The concern is that by lowering the car an additional 10 mm, you have a stiffer ride. You then need to pay $3k for PDCC to smooth out the ride. You add sport design fascia, then add FAL to lift car. Seems like we are paying for an option/problem and then paying for the solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jkb545:
darkblack (11-09-2019), jkautz (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 11:01 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jkb545
PDCC + SPASM vs PASM alone is an interesting question. The concern is that by lowering the car an additional 10 mm, you have a stiffer ride. You then need to pay $3k for PDCC to smooth out the ride. You add sport design fascia, then add FAL to lift car. Seems like we are paying for an option/problem and then paying for the solution.
And IMO to no real benefit. I’ve driven PDCC 991 & non-PDCC with no real benefit in ride quality, even around corners. PASM already eliminates body roll. PDCC is designed to make a larger vehicle feel smaller around turns. The 911 isn’t some truck or SUV rolling down the roads.. this is just my opinion after testing both a while back. I’m sure those that HAVE PDCC will justify it to the bitter end. But we should all know what it was designed to do. Those who have it.. more power to you

Quick Reply: Final specs - change my mind!