Sponsored by:

Clear Bra / PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 09:52 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
I was told 2 to 3 days for just the front end, so a week seems more realistic to me. I don’t think they can do the entire car in 1 or 2 days and I’d be suspicious.
Especially if you are having them tuck & hide the seams. Which I’d definitely have them do if I were wanting a wrap.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Overnight is not enough time IMO. First a proper paint correction and polish is a good amount of time. Then if car is done properly there is a certain amount of parts removal required to get the car prepared for proper wrapping of the film.
Then putting parts on after wrapping and checking all wrapped edges. The 2-3 day estimate is closer to reality.
Even new cars should be paint corrected and polished even lightly. Get it done right and it's on for years.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 11:06 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

The film does settle and can pull -- a good shop will hold on to the car long enough to correct it when it pops up. Someone promising this in 1 day or "overnight" isn't going to do a great job. 2-3 days minimum. Full body? At least a week, especially if you're doing it edgeless -- parts and hardware need to be removed.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:11 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by vman4639
My 992 is at the port - just waiting for it to arrive at the dealer.

Thoughts on Clear Bra / PPF? I was thinking front bumper, hood, mirrors, flared fenders - but now I'm thinking entire car. I like the idea of the protection, but it feels weird to condom my car.... Plus, always concerned about yellowing.

Oh - and years ago I always heard you had to let the paint cure before doing anything like this, but the dealer is confident it can be done right away - does it all the time.

Thoughts / opinions?
You could always go full unprotected...works for me! lmao
Old 10-31-2019, 01:27 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default XPEL

Originally Posted by 992Sam
How much time should I expect to a lot an installer to do the entire car? One told me over night, another said a week.. which sounds more ligit?
This is an excellent question and will vary based on the amount of installers working on the car. That said, here are some ideas of time frame.

PPF - Clear Bra Installation
- Full Front End - about 3-6 hours.
- Full Car Wrap - With 1 guy, 2 + days generally. With more than 1 person it could be less.

Ceramic Coating
*This will vary based on paint condition and vehicle size*
- Generally 2-3 days. You want time to prep the paint, install the coating and then give it time to cure.

992Sam (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:17 PM
P76
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience after owning 2 911's with PPF. First one was full body, second one was front half. Keep in mind I do not track my cars.

They never look as good as uncovered paint. My detailer hates them, and I've grown to dislike them. If you forget to wipe off bird poo, love bug guts, or squirrel diarrhea right away, well you've got spots on there permanently. Which brings me to my next point...

I removed my PPF with the help of my detailer a couple weeks ago. Holy moly what a PITA. It was a really good install, and it showed...but I'll never get that stuff again. Paint underneath was flawless. But lots of blisters, cursing, etc...
Get a professional to remove it and save yourself from injury. But before you get it installed, ask that detailer how much they charge to remove it. Some shops won't give you a quote and they warn you they take no liability for damaged paint underneath. That's why I did it myself. Make sure you use a reputable shop to both install and remove it.

Also first 911 which had full wrap, the dealer used that as another reason to lowball me on trade in value. Said it's too labor intensive to remove and condition of paint underneath is unknown. A learning experience for me, as has been every trade in.

Now, if you track your car, then it's a good idea to have some sort of protection on that paint. PPF is unmatched in that regard. And for the sake of the guy who buys your car used...for the love of god put some protection on that windshield...windshield rash sucks!
detansinn (10-31-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 06:06 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 287 Posts

Agree with P76
Old 11-01-2019, 06:47 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Just had my car unwrapped, fully paint corrected, wrapped again with Xpel Ultimate Plus (3/4 of the car) and then CQuartz Ceramic coated. Car looks amazing, film is super clear and I know it is protected. I don't feel the look is compromised at all.
Attached Images   
Esoteric_Detail (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:38 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by P76
My experience after owning 2 911's with PPF... Paint underneath was flawless...
That's why we go through the expense and compromises of getting this crap!
My personal advice, if it's a lease, you don't tailgate on the highway and have generally decent roads (few potholes spewing stones) don't bother!
Old 11-01-2019, 10:17 AM
TSOS
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I had SunTeck ultra ppf installed the other day and picked it up last night. The car was rained on while driving home and I havent had a chance to inspect it fully. I was going to wait for it to warm up a bit and wash it. I heated the garage up but the installer said being out in the warm sun is really what it needs. I did notice a fair amount of small bubbles and what looked like lots of small scratches in the PPF. My assumption is that the small bubbles will fade when it warms up? I was going to wait a few days before making any conclusions.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:24 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the replies - I decided to go full body PPF. I'm going to drive it, including some road trips, and I'm going to park it places. I figure I can always take it off later if I don't like it.

I'll post pics when it comes in - thinking week after next.
XPEL (11-02-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:01 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by P76
My experience after owning 2 911's with PPF. First one was full body, second one was front half. Keep in mind I do not track my cars.

They never look as good as uncovered paint. My detailer hates them, and I've grown to dislike them. If you forget to wipe off bird poo, love bug guts, or squirrel diarrhea right away, well you've got spots on there permanently. Which brings me to my next point...

I removed my PPF with the help of my detailer a couple weeks ago. Holy moly what a PITA. It was a really good install, and it showed...but I'll never get that stuff again. Paint underneath was flawless. But lots of blisters, cursing, etc...
Get a professional to remove it and save yourself from injury. But before you get it installed, ask that detailer how much they charge to remove it. Some shops won't give you a quote and they warn you they take no liability for damaged paint underneath. That's why I did it myself. Make sure you use a reputable shop to both install and remove it.

Also first 911 which had full wrap, the dealer used that as another reason to lowball me on trade in value. Said it's too labor intensive to remove and condition of paint underneath is unknown. A learning experience for me, as has been every trade in.

Now, if you track your car, then it's a good idea to have some sort of protection on that paint. PPF is unmatched in that regard. And for the sake of the guy who buys your car used...for the love of god put some protection on that windshield...windshield rash sucks!
wait.. PFF stains? I thought it was more bullet proof than that..
Old 11-01-2019, 08:19 PM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Just put some notes out there today regarding living with PPF that we had installed last April. Not a Porsche but the same general thoughts apply. Can find here if interested: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/li...ek-dynoshield/
992Sam (11-01-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 01:55 AM
Xtian
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My advice is just Do it! you wouldn't regret PPF.

Also do ceramic coat, less time cleaning.
XPEL (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 10:05 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Not everyone is a good candidate for ppf. My easiest qualifier question to a client, “if you come out and notice a chip, door ding AND chip, etc., will YOU be having a bad day? If the answer is YES, then you’re a great candidate for ppf. This technology, is currently the only defense against impact.

1. It will never look as good as paint under artificial light. Take the car outside in the sun, and assuming installation is done well and a quality ceramic coating is applied, hard to tell which car has ppf

2. Problems with yellowing and hazing have been DRAMATICALLY improved compared to years ago. Truth is, one a white or silver car, even brand new film is slightly off color and a keen eye will notice, but MOST people cannot. The film will eventually get yellower if not maintained well with a ceramic coating and washed/cleaned routinely

3. Removing film is not difficult, just very tedious. Most shops, including us, will have client release ALL liability of the paint coming off during removal. If person removing the ppf is knowledgeable, you shouldn’t have any issues on removal, unless the paint itself wasn’t applied properly. Certain cars, Ferrari F430 rockers, are a given that paint will come off because of the known paint issue

4. If you’ve purchased your vehicle, you’re a better candidate for ppf. Things like headlights on 991/992 get pitted easy after 500 miles. If you don’t want to see a sandblasted headlight, you’d want to protect with ppf

5. Maintenance is easy as film doesn’t swirl and scratch when cared for properly. So, if you want to always enjoy shine and brilliance of the paint, ppf is an excellent solution

6. Bird droppings and water spots are the Achilles heal of ppf. Unfortunately, if not addressed soon, they can permanently damage the film, aesthetically. We do have techniques to eliminate or minimize the affect based on the damage. But sometimes, there’s just nothing that can be done. Film will function as the defects mentioned aren’t affecting the primary focus of the product, impact resistance

7. Installer is key...I cannot say that enough. A typical full front installation on a 911 should take 1-3 days based on vehicle, prep, level of installation, # of installers, and post installation work

full vehicle ppf 3-10 days based on same parameters as above

8. New vehicle paint is cured and ready to go. If repainted, consult BODY SHOP that painted the car on proper curing time

here’s a recent 991 project we completed and hopefully it gives you a little insight into a proper installation:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1167...l#post16195307

hopefully above helps answer your questions and please let me know if I can be if further service

Quick Reply: Clear Bra / PPF?