Sponsored by:

Home link help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 01:29 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by PB143
I have also tried to program without success. I don't get it, I have done it with ease on the last 5-6 cars I have had. It keeps telling me it needs to test rolling codes but when I hit 'retry' i get nada. Have tried the learn button at same time from the garage motor, also nothing.

Any tips? I understand I can use the remote but its annoying that I just bought a 2020 porsche that can't open my garage door like my 2018 wrangler does with ease
A few posts above there’s some advice from a SA that works, at least it did for both my Chamberlain door openers.

- go through the learning cycle as per PCM onscreen instructions

- go through the synchronise cycle but say ‘yes’ everything worked even when it did not

- hit the learning button on your garage door opener

- open HomeLink from within the PCM menus (>vehicle settings > HomeLink > taught profiles...) and hit the ‘send signal’.

- Send again, and again with brief pauses in between presses until your door works.

Mine took three goes each. This is exactly how the old HomeLink buttons used to work if you remember ie learn remote, then keep hitting button until door works.

It appears the car learns the correct codes but doesn’t send them long enough during the synchronise routine.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,623 Likes on 683 Posts

I was thinking...

If the Homelink menu automatically pops up when approaching the garage (triggered by gps), then it should automatically pop up when restarting the car in the garage. If the car was at the garage when it was shut off, it is still at the garage when it’s restarted even if that’s 2 weeks later. Relocating and waiting should be moot. Why isn’t it the default to have the Homelink pop up immediately at start up if the car was shut down at the garage? It seems like that would be an extremely easy reprogramming solution to this ridiculous problem.

And the Homelink should remain on the screen even if you pull the car into and out of the garage and shut it off and restart it 100 times, because you have not moved away from the garage. The Homelink menu should only disappear when you drive away.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
stevepow (10-30-2019), TurboS_GG (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:47 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Bummer to read this - such a great car, but there's no reason for this I can see - the anti-button people went too far. I hope there is some resolution soon. It's this kind of nonsense that makes me loathe to move on from my 997.2. While not perfect, it is very close and one of the handiest cars to drive I have owned.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 09:21 PM
Kansas32
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine works well when I pull into the driveway. The problem I encountered is when I back out of the garage I have to put the car in park to get the back up camera to turn off and then I have to use my programmed button on the steering wheel to activate the garage door opener sequence. Once I’ve closed the garage door then I can put the car back in reverse and pull out of the driveway. I keep hoping that there will be a software fix for this.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:34 PM
henryeng
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Because the 992 is a new model, the instructions in the PCM (and other Porsche documents) do NOT work. If you call Homelink, they will walk you through the process of 'teaching' the Homelink system to recognize your garage door opener system. Mine works fine.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Wildbill40
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have programmed the home-link several times. I have also programed it into one of the favorites. My problem is screen sensitivity. I can push the corresponding link 10 times and it won't open and the 11th it will. I have also had to move the car around the driveway a few feet sometimes, put it in park (If it was in reverse) go through the various screens and it works. I love the car and will probably will just buy a small visor remote.

I call it The Driveway Dance. I guess Porsche wants you to have sense of Humor!
Old 11-13-2019, 05:22 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,283 Likes on 649 Posts

So homelink implementation on this one is a full mess. Sounds like a small physical remote is the better answer
Old 11-13-2019, 05:39 PM
henryeng
Advanced

Yes, the whole Homelink thing is not well thought-out. Even with it working fine, it's takes 4-5 button pushes (on PCM screen) to open or close the garage door. I agree that using the remote 'clicker' from the garage door opener will be easier! (Hey, whaddya expect for a $100K+ car?!)

The other issue is that my iPhone Bluetooth / Car Play tends to override any other screen selected on the PCM. You need to 'manually' close the Car Play screen before the PCM behaves as it should. I have my Option #1 button programmed to go to the Media screen (for listening to radio, etc) but Car Play overrides it. The button doesn't work unless you manually change to the Media screen. Same with Button #2, programmed to go to Homelink. But it doesn't work either, until you manually get out of the Car Play screen.

These are all software glitches. I sure hope Porsche does a download to fix these annoyances. But I still love driving the car!
Old 11-13-2019, 05:55 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by henryeng
The other issue is that my iPhone Bluetooth / Car Play tends to override any other screen selected on the PCM. You need to 'manually' close the Car Play screen before the PCM behaves as it should. I have my Option #1 button programmed to go to the Media screen (for listening to radio, etc) but Car Play overrides it. The button doesn't work unless you manually change to the Media screen. Same with Button #2, programmed to go to Homelink. But it doesn't work either, until you manually get out of the Car Play screen.
Yikes. I have been thinking hard about getting a 991.2 GTS/GT3/Turbo S and this only helps me lean in that direction over a 992. The Homelink is something that would annoy me multiple times every single day.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 PM
henryeng
Advanced

Don't let these minor issues dissuade you from the 992! They'll probably be corrected with a future software download from Porsche.

The 992 is awesome....more refined than the 991.2. I too was planning to get a 991.2, but when I saw the 992, my mind was changed. And of course, like everyone else who ordered a 992, we all bought them "sight-unseen". I hoped it would be all it was promised to be....and it definitely is!
Old 11-13-2019, 06:06 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by henryeng
Don't let these minor issues dissuade you from the 992! They'll probably be corrected with a future software download from Porsche.

The 992 is awesome....more refined than the 991.2. I too was planning to get a 991.2, but when I saw the 992, my mind was changed. And of course, like everyone else who ordered a 992, we all bought them "sight-unseen". I hoped it would be all it was promised to be....and it definitely is!
I've been lucky enough to spend plenty of time behind the wheel of a 992. I really like it. But my wife has a 2020 Macan S with plenty of annoyances related to the PCM. Everyone keeps saying Porsche will fix it with software updates. I don't see it happening. And until then I don't want to be annoyed every single time I use the car.

Plus there is no 992 GT3 or Turbo S yet.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:10 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildbill40
I have programmed the home-link several times. I have also programed it into one of the favorites. My problem is screen sensitivity. I can push the corresponding link 10 times and it won't open and the 11th it will. I have also had to move the car around the driveway a few feet sometimes, put it in park (If it was in reverse) go through the various screens and it works. I love the car and will probably will just buy a small visor remote.

I call it The Driveway Dance. I guess Porsche wants you to have sense of Humor!
Try extending the door opener aerial. It’s the piece of wire that dangles off the opener. Strip the last inch and connect it to a similar piece of wire about two foot long. This will increase the sensitivity of your door opener. May just cure your driveway dancing.

That said, I have an opener in the car, mostly for closing the door having reversed out. This is a rubbish HomeLink implementation. They ‘fixed’ something that was working and broke it.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Has anyone tried using the voice control button to open the garage door?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,623 Likes on 683 Posts

i assume that everyone who is having a problem with Homelink has notified Porsche via email or phone. What are you being told? We all assume that they are developing a fix (for this as well as for the comfort access, CarPlay, etc.), but maybe they don’t even know a problem exists if no one notifies them. So what are they telling you?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:29 PM
henryeng
Advanced

A few weeks ago (about 6 weeks after taking delivery of my 992) I got a "satisfaction survey" from Porsche. I indicated, in detail, the issues/deficiencies I was having with the PCM, Homelink, etc. A few days later, I got a call from my local dealer, from the salesman who took my order for the car. I don't really know if Porsche actually read my comments and gripes, or if they just forwarded them to the local dealer. These problems are caused by poor programming and insufficient de-bugging/beta testing. There is obviously nothing that the local dealer can do about them. So it remains to be seen whether or not Porsche is aware of the issues and is taking steps necessary to correct them. In general, whenever I've sent an email or comment to Porsche, I get no response, or a very general response which indicates that they don't really read comments that are submitted. As I said....it remain to be seen.......

Quick Reply: Home link help