Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front axle lift needed with Sport Design package?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 05:13 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a steep driveway, and just had a chance to test a 911 equipped with SPASM and the sport design package. It definitely doesn’t make it up to my driveway when you drive it head on but to my surprise with a bit of angle it went up with no issues. Here is a video:

Gonna be putting my order without FAL. I know it will be a little learning to avoid parking garages where I can’t do an angled approach but I can definitely live with it. Even with my current bmw 3 series I always do approach with an angle just in case. No biggie.

Update: later on I chickened out and added FAL. I saw many challenging garage entrances in my area and didn’t wanna live with a decision every day about SUV vs Porsche.

Last edited by soguinness; 11-02-2019 at 12:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by soguinness:
aggie57 (10-27-2019), G650 (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 05:43 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Skaf
My car has the sport design front, SPASM and the axle lift. I've already scraped once by being careless. I'm now using the axle lift on a regular basis and would not buy a new car without it.
Yup. Me too yesterday.

My driveway drops away down hill. I approached the driveway from uphill on the road turning right down into driveway. Bottomed out just in front of rear wheels.

I have been in and out of this driveway without issue approaching it from downhill and turning left into drive. Just lucky I was going slowly. FAL from now on.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:19 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by soguinness
I have a steep driveway, and just had a chance to test a 911 equipped with SPASM and the sport design package. It definitely doesn’t make it up to my driveway when you drive it head on but to my surprise with a bit of angle it went up with no issues. Here is a video: https://youtu.be/9hxaN2KDkso

Gonna be putting my order without FAL. I know it will be a little learning to avoid parking garages where I can’t do an angled approach but I can definitely live with it. Even with my current bmw 3 series I always do approach with an angle just in case. No biggie.
After watching that. I’d definitely spec FAL
Old 10-27-2019, 12:44 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkautz
After watching that. I’d definitely spec FAL
Haha fair. I actually had several attempts but only took a video from the first try. When I took the driveway at a larger angle, it had a ground clearance of 1.5 - 2 inches which convinced me that this thing can take anything you throw at it.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:47 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Haha fair. I actually had several attempts but only took a video from the first try. When I took the driveway at a larger angle, it had a ground clearance of 1.5 - 2 inches which convinced me that this thing can take anything you throw at it.
I was holding my breath watching it! lol

I didn’t spec it on mine either.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:56 PM
Golfster
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

I spec’ed FAL, not for the driveways I know but for those I don’t know. I didn’t have it on a previous car but found I could have used it on several occasions.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:16 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Is the clearance on a 992 different than a 991.2? We really need some data here.

The normal 991.2 cars by and large don't need FAL. I have a steep driveway and deal with a steep parking garage daily with no problems with a stock 991.2. If you drop the car 10mm, then that might be a different story.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (10-27-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 12:25 AM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

I have a steep driveway, and just had a chance to test a 911 equipped with SPASM and the sport design package. It definitely doesn’t make it up to my driveway when you drive it head on but to my surprise with a bit of angle it went up with no issues. Here is a video: https://youtu.be/9hxaN2KDkso

Update: I chickened out and put the FAL into my order in the last second after seeing couple of garage entrances in Seattle downtown. I had to drop a few other comfort features such as ACC and 360 view camera for it.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:27 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Update: I chickened out and put the FAL into my order in the last second after seeing couple of garage entrances in Seattle downtown. I had to drop a few other comfort features such as ACC and 360 view camera for it.
If there is still time you can change your mind...I would rather have the other options!
Old 11-02-2019, 12:30 AM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If there is still time you can change your mind...I would rather have the other options!
I’m set and the car is locked (v210). I configured the car with all performance options. ACC is a nice to have in other cars but it is kind of funny in a Porsche. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,683 Likes on 5,112 Posts

I’m set and the car is locked (v210). I configured the car with all performance options. ACC is a nice to have in other cars but it is kind of funny in a Porsche. Thanks for the advice though.
Good choice.

ACC is stupid.

360 view is unnecessary. Macan or Cayenne? Sure. 911, no.
The following users liked this post:
soguinness (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 12:56 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

360 camera is definitely unnecessary. The car already has parking sensors. That should be good enough in a 911

Smart choice with the FAL. I would have done the same had I spec’d SPASM
Old 11-02-2019, 10:58 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,136 Likes on 3,006 Posts

You basically lost nothing with this decision. 360 view is an unnecessary frill. I have always spec’d my cars with cruise control, but I never really use it. Heck, my Alfa 4C has cruise control — most pointless car for it.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:18 PM
neil.yoshi
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I went by my local dealership this am and the 992 really looks like it could use a 1" drop. I think if you decide to do that you'll probably want FAL.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:22 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The ACTUAL cases where FAL (Front Axle Lift) is required is incredibly few and far between UNLESS you know of a specific spot you cannot clear or avoid.

Even with really low suspensions, lower than 992 Sport Suspension (SPASM) down to GT3 levels, if you don't have a specific spot it's not really worth it. The solution is to slow down, which is done anyway, and to turn the wheels as you go over the bump/obstacle. It's good practice anways. The other downside is you will get annoyed having to adjust your speed and timing to just hit the button. It's much faster to just do the above of turning the wheel.

Should only recommend for people who KNOW for sure they must avoid a spot - such as a driveway or parking lot they frequently use.

Quick Reply: Front axle lift needed with Sport Design package?