Sponsored by:

992 Porsche driving experience questions

Old 10-18-2019, 02:02 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts
Default 992 Porsche driving experience questions

I am getting to do a Porsche driving experience in the 992 in a few weeks. Has anyone done one yet? It is at NJ motorsports park. I am looking for what to expect as I have zero track experience. I mean I don’t even know how to drive a PDK at all, let alone how to drive an unfamiliar car on track (I have a 993 and a 991 GT3T). It seems like it is a dealer perk on a first come first serve basis as I got an email on a 991 experience, but was too late so this time as soon as I got the email I submitted the form and was registered. If they let me pick a car, I will pick whatever one has club leather interior.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:35 AM
sinusdoc
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I am also in the same situation. Will be going to the Porsche driving experience in Monticello, NY with my wife. I've never been on a track and have never owned a 911. Looking forward to it as I'm in the market for a 992 C4, however, don't want delivery until about Aprill. I figure I will secure the allocation by end of the month. Wondering if anyone else has done this as well.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:38 AM
scosurf
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 56 Posts

So I’m just returning from thr Birmingham driving experience and can only say they teach you incredibly well
my advice is put it in sport plus and have the time of your life
evilfij (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 09:06 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

No prep needed. If it is like the several I have attended, you will get to do a few different things, maximizing safe fun (and appropriate marketing!)

One is follow the leader (a Porsche instructor) through a section of the course that has cones to mark the apexes, and set so that entry points to turns slow the line of following cars and limit the speeds on the straights. You get to do it as driver and passenger and cycle through a variety of cars.

Another is an "autocross" setup with more turns and an instructor in the car talking you through. You may find that the Cauman or Boxster is as fast as the 911

A third might be a skid pad. Depends on the track used for the event.

It is not as fast as the "track experience", but its plenty good for for first timers and you get a chance to go in a variety of cars to demonstrate everything Porsche makes.
The following 2 users liked this post by chuckbdc:
evilfij (10-18-2019), G650 (11-07-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I just did the 992 Experience at Monticello Motor Club yesterday. Great time, great instructors and awesome cars. They start with a little breakfast meeting breaking the day down for you and explaining the rules - safety is rule one. The day is pretty easy going. They divided us in 2 groups. One group starts with an auto Cross where the instructor rides along with you. For the auto x portion we got to drive the 992 2S, and a Carerra T.

The track portion of the test you get paired up with someone and you rotate through the various cars - 992 2S, 992 4S and the 991.2. As stated above you follow a Porsche pro driver and he sets the pace. Each car is equipped with a walk talkie and the instructor coaches you through the course.

The final portion of the day is you get to be a passenger with a Porsche pro as your driver - an amazing experience as you get to see what the cars are really capable of.

Then onto a reasonably good lunch and Porsche provides you with a nice gift bag.

‘’They do have a nicely equipped 992 on display and a factory rep to go over all the tech and features of the car compared to the 991 cars.

I’m a Cayman guy and i was very impressed with the 992, the differences from mid engine to rear engine dynamics were pretty apparent to me.

‘’i walked away pretty impressed with the 992 and I’m seriously considering one as my reasoning / rationale is that everyone deserves to own a 911 in their life time.

Final thought - the cars are bulletproof proof as they went through a succession of drivers in auto X, the track experience and multiple launch controls and braked aggressively all day long and not one issue.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jim137a:
G650 (11-07-2019), mathus7 (11-09-2019), sinusdoc (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 12:23 AM
zunayed
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a
I just did the 992 Experience at Monticello Motor Club yesterday. Great time, great instructors and awesome cars. They start with a little breakfast meeting breaking the day down for you and explaining the rules - safety is rule one. The day is pretty easy going. They divided us in 2 groups. One group starts with an auto Cross where the instructor rides along with you. For the auto x portion we got to drive the 992 2S, and a Carerra T.
As 991.2T owner, I’m very curious how different the 992 2S is from the T. Do you think you could elaborate on that? What aspects did you think they improved? What felt the same? Did the 992S sound better? What about lag? I would really appreciate the response.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:20 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Here’s the spec sheet from the car - you can see it’s a performance oriented build - sport package, sport chrono, PSE PASM.

I didn’t get that much time in the 991 T Unfortunately, just a quick spin through the auto x portion of the day so i can’t really give you much feed back on the driving experience. The focus of the day from PCNA was the 992.

A few brief comments on a few of the differences I did pick up on were obviously the interior and tech layout of the 992. The 992’s we drove were all PDK so the obvious was the difference in the shifter as you can see in my photos from my post. At first I’d thought I’d hate the “ nubbin “ but you really only use it when shifting into forward or reverse. The nubbin did have a very high quality feel to it. To put the car in park you simply press the button for the electronic parking brake.

‘’The dash layout is obviously different as you see in my photo. All of the gauges are digital with the exception being the tachometer. Obviously the PCM screen is a lot larger than 991 cars.

The wheels are now staggered sizes 20” up front and 21” in the rear.

Interior quality was very nice.

I can’t really comment on the sound differences between the 991 and 992.

I didn’t notice any objectionable Turbo lag on the 992.

Again, sorry I couldn’t give you a more in-depth comparison between the 2 models.

Personally I’d have not problem getting into a 992 as the car performed extremely well. I’m actually going to set up an appointment with my dealer to spend more time in a 992 and really evaluate the tech of the new PCM and try to get some seat time in street driving situations.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:38 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

So I did this. I survived. Thank you to Porsche Main Line, not just for the event but also having universally nice employees from the valet/lot people to the top. It’s really remarkable how friendly everyone is. Got to meet some cool fellow owners too.

Definitely no experience needed to do the experience. They even explained PDK in the welcome. Much appreciated.

The experience is as others described. I did get to follow the instructor Steve (he was in a 992 I was in a 991 as it was on the compare) so I got to go maybe 4/10ths. He told me I did a good job over the radio when we were done. I also got to go on a hot lap with him and I told him he should have driven like that on our guided lap.

As far as impressions, the 992S accelerates hard, like 996 turbo hard. It also pulled a bit on the 991S. Not a ton, but definitely noticeable. I did feel it sort of ran out of steam on the top end, but that is probably because I don’t drive any turbo cars. There was not much perceptible lag. We did not go fast enough for me to notice any difference between 2S and 4S in the 992. Launch control is a great party trick.

The auto cross had a 991T (with PDK and steel brakes) v. a 992 C2S (with PCCB). I have determined that I like auto cross better than the track (not that I plan to do either). I thought the T was better for tight stuff like autocross. Maybe that is implicit bias as I am used to a 991, maybe it was the tires (all 992 were on goodyears), maybe it was the T was a 4 way sport plus stripper v. a loaded 2S? I don’t know.

On the other hand, the 992 is leaps forward more comfortable and the interior is really nice in person. Unfortunately, none I got to go in had the club leather and I still have not seen agave green. I saw a truffle at the dealer and club leather is an absolute must option if you are springing for leather.

One last point, I do like adventurine green, but it does look grey in overcast sky. I wish it were more green. But again, bias ....

Definitely worth doing if you have the opportunity. Not sure I will do it again, but definitely fun and informative.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:43 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Great experience!

I look forward to doing an experience in L.A. in the near future
evilfij (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:05 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

If your dealer ever offers this free experience DO NOT DO IT! You have been warned.

My free demo day cost me the following over the last year:

Birmingham 2 Day PTX/PSDS Precision class x2
Birmingham 2 Day Masters class x2
Birmingham 3 Day Masters RS x2
Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo x1

Free my a**
The following 2 users liked this post by GoBlue!:
AlexCeres (11-10-2019), evilfij (11-07-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 12:34 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
If your dealer ever offers this free experience DO NOT DO IT! You have been warned.

My free demo day cost me the following over the last year:

Birmingham 2 Day PTX/PSDS Precision class x2
Birmingham 2 Day Masters class x2
Birmingham 3 Day Masters RS x2
Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo x1

Free my a**
Tell me about it. I got a track day (just lead follow) from the dealer and now I find myself going 2x a year to alabami. Not to mention the numerous sets of tires, pagids and a 992. Also a sorry understanding of a GT car without owning one.
G650 (11-08-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 992 Porsche driving experience questions