Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed - 992's in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 12:17 AM
miket77
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just purchased a 2021 992 C2 in August. It's currently my daily driver but I have the coming winter in the back of my mind more and more the closer we get to it. Its my first rear wheel drive sports car. If we get a winter like we had last year I think I will need another car for those snow days. If I am incorrect and obviously im not holding anyone to anything here, let me know. Can I get by with getting winter tires and which tires do you all recommend for winter tires ? Am I over thinking the whole thing?
Old 10-27-2021, 01:00 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by miket77
I just purchased a 2021 992 C2 in August. It's currently my daily driver but I have the coming winter in the back of my mind more and more the closer we get to it. Its my first rear wheel drive sports car. If we get a winter like we had last year I think I will need another car for those snow days. If I am incorrect and obviously im not holding anyone to anything here, let me know. Can I get by with getting winter tires and which tires do you all recommend for winter tires ? Am I over thinking the whole thing?
Quality snow tires make a vast difference and are by far the most important upgrade here. Much much more important than 4 wheel drive. you can get by in a sports car up to snow depths of your front splitter, and then some. You might want PPF for that so ice crystals don’t scratch too much.

but it’s probably just as important that you feel comfortable in your daily regardless of what’s possible for some other driver who is more experienced or more crazy than you.

I will say the window of safety between “a properly winter equipped sports car” and “unsafe for any vehicle without literal treads” is actually quite small. If a winterized 911 can’t handle it, say due to ice, then the conditions are usually too treacherous for any road legal car, or about to become so quickly. Those situations are usually too close to the edge of safety and predictability to justify venturing outside in a wheeled car at all.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:01 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by miket77
Where are you located? In Texas we had a brutal couple of weeks of winter but I can't justify winter/snow tires. I will just leave the car in the garage if that happens.

But FYI there have been some good threads on recommended winter tires. Take a look at those because this thread is old

Last edited by breny4104; 10-27-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:23 PM
Cchief
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Winter Package

Originally Posted by detansinn
Proper winter tires are the single most important thing that you'll need -- more important than what wheels are driven.
To be clear, AWD is better, but winter tires on a RWD Porsche work perfectly fine (weight is in the right place).

If you can't swing the C4S, I would go for the C2S vs a C4, providing that you can afford the C2S. If the C2S can't happen $-wise, then go C4.

The 992 is great regardless what model/trim level that you roll with. Enjoy and good luck!
Whatever you decide to buy, I have a 20/21” OZ Leggera gloss black wheel with Pirelli M&S tires for sale here on the East Coast. I bought them for last winter, have less than 500 miles on them, new $5300, asking $4,000. Just bought a Hybrid Wrangler for this winter.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:05 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Cchief
Whatever you decide to buy, I have a 20/21” OZ Leggera gloss black wheel with Pirelli M&S tires for sale here on the East Coast. I bought them for last winter, have less than 500 miles on them, new $5300, asking $4,000. Just bought a Hybrid Wrangler for this winter.
If I ever get an allocation, I might be a taker.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:01 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

I’ve got my winters on. Dealer did the change. And I have my OEM wheels on. Assume they are using the OEM TPMS sensors. I am still getting PSI but no longer ant tire temps. Anyone know why?

Quick Reply: Advice Needed - 992's in Snow