Sponsored by:

Porsche Connect

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Mr.Speed
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
i confess I am still trying to understand how this all works properly but....

The in car SIM works for navigation but (at least in Europe) you have to buy a separate Porsche data package to use music or radio streaming services.

Over here €30 gets you 7GB per month which is both expensive and not enough to use Tidal in anger. Plus the cars mobile modem is only LTE so not really fast enough to stream HiFi music.

i have been looking into alternative data solutions.

You can insert a third party SIM into the slot in the armrest. To use it for data, you have to turn off the PCM phone capability or the embedded SIM. But again the car’s modem is only LTE.

What I want to do is use my phone which includes unlimited data and it’s 4G.

It appears that I have two choices:

(a) switch off the embedded PCM SIM in the devices menu and connect the car to my phone hotspot. This is all well and good but the car is off the grid once you get out and remove your phone so the connect app won’t provide trip and location data.

(b) plug in my iPhone using a usb cable (ie not using wireless Apple play via the car’s WiFi Hotspot) the phone can then access its own mobile data network. At this point, Apple CarPlay works and I can stream using Tidal, Apple Music, Internet Radio etc.

When the phone is plugged in, the PCM apps reappear but I confess I haven’t tried to use them because I don’t use Amazon, Napster is etc so I am not sure that these can access the phone’s data capability. Clearly they will work if I use the phone WiFi Hotspot but I am not sure what happens when I use just the cable.

Sorry not a complete answer. I think Porsche have made this unnecessarily complicated to try to persuade us to buy into their data service but then they have hobbled the service with a very slow modem.
I started a new tread about this, let's see other people ideas. Anyway i will try to play with B option...
Old 10-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Mr.Speed
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
i confess I am still trying to understand how this all works properly but....

The in car SIM works for navigation but (at least in Europe) you have to buy a separate Porsche data package to use music or radio streaming services.

Over here €30 gets you 7GB per month which is both expensive and not enough to use Tidal in anger. Plus the cars mobile modem is only LTE so not really fast enough to stream HiFi music.

i have been looking into alternative data solutions.

You can insert a third party SIM into the slot in the armrest. To use it for data, you have to turn off the PCM phone capability or the embedded SIM. But again the car’s modem is only LTE.

What I want to do is use my phone which includes unlimited data and it’s 4G.

It appears that I have two choices:

(a) switch off the embedded PCM SIM in the devices menu and connect the car to my phone hotspot. This is all well and good but the car is off the grid once you get out and remove your phone so the connect app won’t provide trip and location data.

(b) plug in my iPhone using a usb cable (ie not using wireless Apple play via the car’s WiFi Hotspot) the phone can then access its own mobile data network. At this point, Apple CarPlay works and I can stream using Tidal, Apple Music, Internet Radio etc.

When the phone is plugged in, the PCM apps reappear but I confess I haven’t tried to use them because I don’t use Amazon, Napster is etc so I am not sure that these can access the phone’s data capability. Clearly they will work if I use the phone WiFi Hotspot but I am not sure what happens when I use just the cable.

Sorry not a complete answer. I think Porsche have made this unnecessarily complicated to try to persuade us to buy into their data service but then they have hobbled the service with a very slow modem.
You made my day!!! Tidel over CarPlay and wired connection is the way to go! I was little disappointing about Burmeister sound system also, seems it really need lossless quality audio, no rattle in doors just clear and perfect sound!
The following users liked this post:
NigelPlays (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Speed
You made my day!!! Tidel over CarPlay and wired connection is the way to go!
i agree. There really is little point getting the Burmester and then using it with compressed music files.

i am not sure what version of Bluetooth Porsche is using. Bluetooth 5 can stream uncompressed audio but 4 cannot.

Cable is the certain option.
The following users liked this post:
NigelPlays (10-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Porsche Connect