Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't Porsche make a smaller 911?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

So a small 911 won’t sell because people don’t buy an Alpine? That makes no sense. Who cares about Alpine. That car is ugly, which is probably why people don’t buy it.

There are many reasons why Porsche wouldn’t make a small 911, but lack of impact or interest would not be one of them.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Ask the EU, DOT, EPA, TUV and every other regulatory agency that determines what cars can and cannot be.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:49 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I would buy a car like this in a heartbeat whether it was 90k or 150k

It's absurd to think a car like this wouldn't sell or be profitable enough. The reason the 992 exists is because Porsche believes that's what their customers want and for every person who will buy one reluctantly it serves as just another falsely justified data point for them.

I know of several people who are looking to purchase a 992 with the mindset " eh I don't love it" OR "it's not what they used to be" OR "it could be better but...".

Until we are collectively wiling to hold Porsche accountable for their missteps, their current course will never change and we will continue to move further and further away from that dream the OP is expressing and that many of us share.
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (09-24-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 11:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
So a small 911 won’t sell because people don’t buy an Alpine? That makes no sense. Who cares about Alpine. That car is ugly, which is probably why people don’t buy it.

There are many reasons why Porsche wouldn’t make a small 911, but lack of impact or interest would not be one of them.
Actually, it is.

At least at a price point that would make business sense for Porsche.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:43 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d

I am just using it as an example of sales figures not up to the hype when people actually go out and spend money. It is like everyone on the Internet clamoring for station wagons, but in reality wagon sales in the US are pitiful compared to SUV sales.

Originally Posted by limegreen
I would buy a car like this in a heartbeat whether it was 90k or 150k

It's absurd to think a car like this wouldn't sell or be profitable enough. The reason the 992 exists is because Porsche believes that's what their customers want and for every person who will buy one reluctantly it serves as just another falsely justified data point for them.

I know of several people who are looking to purchase a 992 with the mindset " eh I don't love it" OR "it's not what they used to be" OR "it could be better but...".

Until we are collectively wiling to hold Porsche accountable for their missteps, their current course will never change and we will continue to move further and further away from that dream the OP is expressing and that many of us share.
You must be hang out in more exalted circles than I do where your friends will buy new $150k toys reluctantly

At $150k you can buy pristine 993 or 964s (in fact, you can probably buy 2 -- keep one for spares ). What would a new Porsche offer you that those don't?
Old 09-19-2019, 01:03 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by frankchn
I am just using it as an example of sales figures not up to the hype when people actually go out and spend money. It is like everyone on the Internet clamoring for station wagons, but in reality wagon sales in the US are pitiful compared to SUV sales.

You must be hang out in more exalted circles than I do where your friends will buy new $150k toys reluctantly

At $150k you can buy pristine 993 or 964s (in fact, you can probably buy 2 -- keep one for spares ). What would a new Porsche offer you that those don't?
well warranty for one.... but I agree with you. I don't think our Rennlist bubble comprises the the market PAG wants, but only a very small portion of said market. There is a reason why the 992 is the way it is (market demands/wants + regulation compliance = 992)
Old 09-19-2019, 01:38 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

why...really.... no need
Old 09-19-2019, 02:29 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by frankchn

When I say” reluctantly” what I mean is that I observe many people making purchases on cars these days that they obviously like but not necessarily love.

There is a lot of skepticism amongst informed buyers about long term viability particularly because of the technology level that many view as unnecessary to begin with.

As for the 993 , 964 vs new debate , that is a simple answer. One is new and the others are not only used cars but practically antiques at this point.

Aside from owning an expensive and worn in car that you likely had to compromise on colors and options ( because it wasn’t your build) the used classics have the potential be a huge headache to maintain especially if they are to be relied on daily.

Never mind the odyssey of purchasing one that is worthy of the price and praying that it was owned, operated and maintained correctly for the 25+ years prior to your purchase of it.

Ive already been down this road several times personally with classic 911’s... I love them more than anything but the added ownership challenges suck the enjoyment right out of it for me.

I also have have friend who recently purchased a one owner 993 with 35k miles on it for 60k only to have to immediately turn around and dump almost 30k into it for and engine out , oil leak fix and “while your in there” valve guides head studs etc etc etc etc etc...

I understand and willingly except that things need to evolve and improve over time but I feel that in the last decade the automotive industry has nearly ceased meaningful evolution and the 992 has not been immune to that either.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:58 PM
frankchn
Pro

Originally Posted by limegreen
Ive already been down this road several times personally with classic 911’s... I love them more than anything but the added ownership challenges suck the enjoyment right out of it for me.

I also have have friend who recently purchased a one owner 993 with 35k miles on it for 60k only to have to immediately turn around and dump almost 30k into it for and engine out , oil leak fix and “while your in there” valve guides head studs etc etc etc etc etc...
Yeah, but if your upper limit is $150k, you can spend $90k on something and spend another $60k restoring it and that will still be within budget.

Perhaps what Porsche should do is to expand the factory restoration program and accept more old 911s.
992carreraS (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM
olsonreels
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There is always one way to fix this limegreen....put your money where your mouth is and follow old man Porsche’s footsteps. Go design and manufacture your own.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:12 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

I think we might be overestimating Porsche's thirst to even continue in the sports-car game. It's a dwindling market and their current offering for the 911 already makes them a ton of cash on a relatively limited amount of sales. They know people will pay extra for the 'prestige' behind the 911 brand. Personally, I'm more curious to see the evolution of the 718 platform in the coming years, especially after the misstep of the current gen.

Last edited by seanhaus; 09-21-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:34 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

The latest Lotus cars are more in line with what I like in a sports car but their scant dealer network and questionable future have kept me from pulling the trigger. Every time I get a new sports car and read all the reviews of all the cars and nearly always come back to a Porsche. I think the early 911's are actually too small now but the 718's are just about right should they ever put a better engine in them.
Asker509 (11-03-2020)
Old 09-19-2019, 04:37 PM
frankchn
Pro

Originally Posted by seanhaus
I think we might be overestimating Porsche's thirst to even continue in the sports-car game. It's a dwindling market and their current offering for the 911 already makes them a ton of cash on a relatively limited amount of sales. They know people well pay extra for the 'prestige' behind the 911 brand. Personally, I'm more curious to see the evolution of the 718 platform in the coming years, especially after the misstep of the current gen.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...ll-be-electric

“The 718 just fits EV, doesn’t it?” [Lutz Meschke, Deputy Chairman of Porsche AG] said. “The next generation of these cars would be a good time to go all-electric.” Seems fairly conclusive to us, and there was yet more surprise when we asked whether an electric Cayman would be all-wheel driven. “Yes, it needs to be, that makes sense.” Well at least they’ll be parking the unloved flat-four engine.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:49 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

CAFE standards are based on vehicle footprint. A 45 sq ft car needs to achieve 20% better fuel economy than a 55 sq ft car. Not only are smaller, less expensive cars less profitable from a manufacturing standpoint...Porsche would also need to sell more unprofitable hybrids and electrics to offset and avoid CAFE fines.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:20 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
CAFE standards are based on vehicle footprint. A 45 sq ft car needs to achieve 20% better fuel economy than a 55 sq ft car. Not only are smaller, less expensive cars less profitable from a manufacturing standpoint...Porsche would also need to sell more unprofitable hybrids and electrics to offset and avoid CAFE fines.
That's true for the standard textbook argument against smaller cars but fuel economy improvements are not that difficult to achieve when the car is much smaller, lighter and requiring less hp to propel it.

The stupidity of the auto industry today is that the consumer and automaker alike still can't seem to grasp that you can't have it all.

As a result they keep trying to build something that is larger, more powerful with more equipment, more complex as a result and also yet somehow more fuel efficient and reliable despite it all.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Porsche make a smaller 911?