Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for people who already have their 992s - which seats do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 PM
purples
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question for people who already have their 992s - which seats do you have?

So, I'm just a few weeks from my car being delivered, but having never been able to sit in the new 992 before I ordered it, I listened to the advice of my SA and went with the 14-way seats. Their logic was because I'm very short and lightweight, the 18-way seats would feel too large and that the added bolsters would hit my body in the wrong places. However, I've read multiple threads on here where people say the 14-way seats are horribly hard and uncomfortable.

For anyone who already has their car, which seats did you choose and how do you find the comfort level? Additionally, if I hate the ones I chose, does anyone know if it's even possible to replace them with OEM 18-way seats?
Old 09-06-2019, 10:02 PM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by purples
So, I'm just a few weeks from my car being delivered, but having never been able to sit in the new 992 before I ordered it, I listened to the advice of my SA and went with the 14-way seats. Their logic was because I'm very short and lightweight, the 18-way seats would feel too large and that the added bolsters would hit my body in the wrong places. However, I've read multiple threads on here where people say the 14-way seats are horribly hard and uncomfortable.

For anyone who already has their car, which seats did you choose and how do you find the comfort level? Additionally, if I hate the ones I chose, does anyone know if it's even possible to replace them with OEM 18-way seats?
Depends how short you are but I'd argue that if you're a big dude then 14 ways are more suitable. My SA is 6'3 and pretty heavy, he says he can't deal with the extra bolster. I prefer 18 way, but for some people they are hard to get in/out of.

Being that your car is getting delivered I'd delete this thread and forget about 18 way vs 14. Retrofitting seats is expensive!

Enjoy the car and pls post pics.
The following users liked this post:
purples (09-07-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:07 PM
purples
Track Day

Originally Posted by moomin
Depends how short you are but I'd argue that if you're a big dude then 14 ways are more suitable. My SA is 6'3 and pretty heavy, he says he can't deal with the extra bolster. I prefer 18 way, but for some people they are hard to get in/out of.

Being that your car is getting delivered I'd delete this thread and forget about 18 way vs 14. Retrofitting seats is expensive!

Enjoy the car and pls post pics.
I'm 5 feet tall — about the size of the average 10 year old. I hope it's the right choice! Sad to hear retrofitting seats is so $$$.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

I’m 5’6” and my wife is 5’3”. We have 18 ways in the Boxster, 14 ways in the 911, and ordered 18 ways in the Macan we have in production now.

I might be one of the people that maligned the 14 ways in the past. My wife hated them more than me. But over time I’ve grown to appreciate them. For us it took several weeks to figure out where we wanted them adjusted for comfort. But now that we have them adjusted properly they are A-OK.

The 18 ways were comfortable immediately because they are infinitely adjustable. As smaller people we found the adjustable side and thigh bolsters to be a godsend. Plus they are nice for squeezing you in during really aggressive driving.

For a daily driver you might find the 14 ways are better just because the side bolster is not as tall. Easier to get in and out because you are sitting on the seats more than in the seats.

My advice would be don’t sweat it. And give yourself a couple of weeks to find the perfect adjustment with the 14 ways.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanSinAR:
dichael (09-07-2019), purples (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 12:32 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by purples
I'm 5 feet tall — about the size of the average 10 year old. I hope it's the right choice! Sad to hear retrofitting seats is so $$$.
That you Danny DeVito?
Old 09-07-2019, 01:17 AM
purples
Track Day

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I’m 5’6” and my wife is 5’3”. We have 18 ways in the Boxster, 14 ways in the 911, and ordered 18 ways in the Macan we have in production now.

I might be one of the people that maligned the 14 ways in the past. My wife hated them more than me. But over time I’ve grown to appreciate them. For us it took several weeks to figure out where we wanted them adjusted for comfort. But now that we have them adjusted properly they are A-OK.

The 18 ways were comfortable immediately because they are infinitely adjustable. As smaller people we found the adjustable side and thigh bolsters to be a godsend. Plus they are nice for squeezing you in during really aggressive driving.

For a daily driver you might find the 14 ways are better just because the side bolster is not as tall. Easier to get in and out because you are sitting on the seats more than in the seats.

My advice would be don’t sweat it. And give yourself a couple of weeks to find the perfect adjustment with the 14 ways.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this! Glad to hear you and your wife were able to get the 14-way seats to be comfortable. Makes me feel a little better about the choice.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:02 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

18 way.
Very comfortable and extremely happy with my choice.
purples (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 02:21 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

My SA had me try out 18-way and 14-way seats on 991.2. The extra bolstering on 18-way seats makes it hard to get out if you on the larger side but fit me perfectly. Plus I am used to the 20-way seats in BMWs which are phenomenal in terms of glove-like fit. I went with the 18-way seats...
purples (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 02:33 PM
purples
Track Day

Originally Posted by pelucidor
My SA had me try out 18-way and 14-way seats on 991.2. The extra bolstering on 18-way seats makes it hard to get out if you on the larger side but fit me perfectly. Plus I am used to the 20-way seats in BMWs which are phenomenal in terms of glove-like fit. I went with the 18-way seats...
My SA told me not bother trying them out because supposedly it wouldn't translate to the 992 and now I'm seriously regretting that. I'm used to Mercedes seats that are super plush and padded so I'm really nervous about this because I have a bad back that gets aggravated by hard seats. I'm also tiny — the flat, wide seats in my Audis always made me feel like crap. 😕
Old 09-07-2019, 02:36 PM
purples
Track Day

Originally Posted by moomin
That you Danny DeVito?
Hey now, he's the one person over 10 years old that I'm actually taller than! 😏

Quick Reply: Question for people who already have their 992s - which seats do you have?