Sponsored by:

Front plate bracket options for the 992 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 04:52 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kayleia
Thanks, would really appreciate it! And incidentally, what size of the Skene bracket did you get for your 991?
Large I believe. Kind of a universal mount really.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:08 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by derekm
It's 100% a requirement in the UK to have a front plate, one which no-one dares to violate.
The reason no one would violate that law in the UK is because it would be very obvious the law was being broken. All European countries require a front plate so it's inconceivable for a police officer to drive past a car without a front plate and think that might be okay.

In the US, license plates laws are governed individually by each of the 50 states, and 29 of the states do not require a front license plate (and don't even issue front license plates). So if you are a police officer and you drive past a car on the opposite side of the road and you notice it doesn't have a plate, you might just think it was from one of these 29 states. Unless you see the back plate closely enough to identify the state, it won't be obvious the person is breaking the law.

So the result is a lot of people get away without a front plate. Yes they will occasionally get a ticket, but they could just carry a plate and double sided tape in the car, and solve the issue in front of the officer to avoid a ticket.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Really don't get that. Why ASK for trouble. To each his own.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:04 AM
kayleia
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I heard back from Skene Brackets, and they informed me that they don't think their bracket would be a good fit for the 992 because of "horizontal black 'fins' in the scoop below the mounting location", and that this feature of the car makes the install very difficult.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:25 PM
jesper2
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Don’t like it and it’s expensive, but this may do if you need a front plate for a 992 and don’t want to drill. It seems to avoid all parking sensors and the ACC radar. Hopefully others will come out with a more elegant solution. I would love a motorized Sto-n-Sho that tucks away under the plastic front lip.

https://www.rho-plate.com/products/p...0-rho-plate-v2
The following users liked this post:
kayleia (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 05:57 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

I'm fortunate to call Pennsylvania home, which has no front plate requirement -- entirely excellent.
Having driven cars in California and Texas (front plate states), with respective CA and TX plates and no front plate, I've never encountered any issue, but then again, I am a gray haired white guy. :P

If you're paranoid, tow hook style avoids the nastiness of drilling holes. There are also other solutions like this hideaway mechanism...

Old 11-16-2019, 07:01 PM
kayleia
Advanced

Originally Posted by jesper2
Don’t like it and it’s expensive, but this may do if you need a front plate for a 992 and don’t want to drill. It seems to avoid all parking sensors and the ACC radar. Hopefully others will come out with a more elegant solution. I would love a motorized Sto-n-Sho that tucks away under the plastic front lip.

https://www.rho-plate.com/products/p...0-rho-plate-v2
Thanks a lot, this is the first thing I've seen that is no-drill and avoids the sensors.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:04 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

I live in California and I’ve never had issues foregoing a front license plate. Can’t say it’d be the same if I were driving a Camry without one..
detansinn (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:18 PM
kayleia
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkautz
I live in California and I’ve never had issues foregoing a front license plate. Can’t say it’d be the same if I were driving a Camry without one..
Yeah, I live in Chicagoland and I've never seen nice cars around here sport a front plate. But I like an option for when I'm parking at O'hare or such.
detansinn (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:41 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kayleia
Yeah, I live in Chicagoland and I've never seen nice cars around here sport a front plate. But I like an option for when I'm parking at O'hare or such.
Couldn't you put the plate on the dashboard? Then take it down and store it when not needed.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:44 PM
kayleia
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkautz
Couldn't you put the plate on the dashboard? Then take it down and store it when not needed.
I didn't think that counted. I can give it a try and see if I get a ticket next time I park there
Old 11-16-2019, 07:55 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Give it a shot. Lots do it in California when parking. Especially SF area.

Worst case is they give you a fix it ticket. Then you can 3M tape it on and get the ticket signed. Then take it off again lol
Old 11-16-2019, 09:13 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by moomin
They are getting strict in CA. Can't park in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills on the street, or at LAX without getting a ticket. It's still a fix-it though, and it really spoils the beautifil look. I caved on my BMW, but I think I'll take a chance on the 992.
That's not good. So far no issues in San Diego and I still see a fair amount of cars with no plates at all (like Steve Jobs!) Hopefully enforcement doesn't come down to us. In general, I have only lived in states that required front plates and in 25 years of driving and at least as many cars, I have never installed a front plate. I have gotten a few tickets in ohio but only parking tickets (meaning you wouldn't get pulled over fro driving around without a front plate) and then I figured out that a loose plate on the dash when street parked was effectively legal so I did that with no further tickets. Would that work in CA?
Old 11-16-2019, 10:05 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RudyP
and then I figured out that a loose plate on the dash when street parked was effectively legal so I did that with no further tickets. Would that work in CA?
I have several friends who had went to USF and always dashed their plate when parked. Zero issues.
RudyP (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 11:03 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

Been driving for 30 years, and never have had a front plate in TX. Lots of traffic tickets, but never a front plate citation. I think as long as you aren't an A-H during pull-overs for speeding/etc., you aren't getting a citation for no front plate. Even the time I was pulled over for going 53 in a 35 and I (jokingly) claimed that I was dyslexic (this cop had either no sense of humor or a dyslexic child) I didn't get ticketed. So, no way am I going to mar that pretty front end with a plate...some things in life are worth risking.

Quick Reply: Front plate bracket options for the 992 Carrera