Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO's 992 Assessment

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 01:14 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Porsche's and Prog Rock, like chocolate and peanut butter....natural! Blackest Eyes
Old 08-16-2019, 01:44 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Well, I think you'll find there are a lot on here and around the world that view the 992 as a Grand Tourer as opposed to a Sports Car.

In my view, the 992 has a big problem when a quality knowledgeable reviewer like Steve Sutcliffe makes statements like - its gone half a step backwards, feels large, not that good in braking zones etc. I have never heard a Porsche reviewer that knows the cars and is a competent track driver say or write that.

I owned both the 991.2 S and GTS and as fast as the GTS was, it was starting to feel heavy, this impacted on everything from tire wear to braking performance (and this was a heavily campaigned car). Now that 450 HP car was some 120 lbs lighter than the 992 S - ultimately you can disguise weight but you can't hide it and this is what Steve Sutcliffe is clearly picking up on.

I think the equation has become simple - if you want an entry level Porsche sports car - get a GT4 and if you want a fast Porsche sports car get a GT3 and if you want a Grand Tourer get a Carrera.

None of that means one is better than the other, it simply means buy whats right for you and your needs. I would conclude that the 992 represents a step change (as in direction) not a step up (which like for like HP it isn't).
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
JHesketh (08-16-2019), porschedood5000 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:46 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by G650

So, 1:16 , Faster than a AMG GT S.
1.6 seconds faster than previous gen 991S with power kit, (That’s basically a GTS), which would cost pretty much the same, seems like a pretty good value to me. ��*♂️
991.1 GTS..

That track doesnt tell all.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:44 AM
Freddie81
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Have driven the 992 S twice and waiting for my car to arrive in Dec. I had a .2 GT3 (PDK) before and I can say personally, the 992 is more fun and suitable for the street. I drove my GT3 once from South Sweden to Paris and would not do it again. With the 992 coming I can't wait for the next road trip like this.

It doesn't feel bigger and with the sport suspension -10 mm and sports exhaust it rides and sounds great. Only time it doesn't sound good is when you start it up. When driving hard and downshifting quick I was amazed how good it sounded. It doesn't have the pops and bangs as the 991.2 GTS for example, and in my opinion it's only positive.

Interior wise some buttons can look a bit cheap compared to the last but in general looks great. It still feels very much like a sports car. At least with the options the car I drove had. As others said here, the two cars cannot be compared and don't understand why they are in the first place.
The following users liked this post:
G650 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 03:17 AM
groundhog
Race Car

^^^Exactly you wanted a grand tourer and thats what you've got. Steve Sutcliffe was comparing the 991 to the 992 (not GT3).
Old 08-16-2019, 03:33 AM
Steph001
Track Day

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog

You have to keep in mind that the new 450 HP car is slower round a track than the outgoing 450 HP car. Autobild showed this most recently at the Sachsenring with the 450 HP 991.2 GTS being 1s faster than the 450 HP 992.1 S.

The margin may be small but one can not avoid drawing the obvious conclusion.

Yes but have to be complete with the info: see the asterix behind the 991.2 GTS time in Autobild: Testfahrzueg aug Sportreifen: semislicks. “Verbesseren rundenzeit significant”. 992 was on its normal street tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steph001:
G650 (08-16-2019), JHesketh (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:16 AM
Peadsw
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

Its so funny majority of people judging and writing bad och good stuff about the 992 is from the Us and haven't even seen the car in flesh. How is it possible to know how the car feels and drives in pictures, and how do you know that you don't like the interior if you haven't seen it. Took delivery of my 992 cab 3 weeks ago and its just super nice in every way.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:39 AM
Freddie81
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^Exactly you wanted a grand tourer and thats what you've got. Steve Sutcliffe was comparing the 991 to the 992 (not GT3).
I think I saw GT3/RS being mentioned a few times in this thread, hence why I also wrote they shouldn't be compared.

Strange so many more reviews say it's a step forward. Steve Sutcliffe must be the only one not paid by Porsche then...
G650 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:59 AM
Freddie81
Intermediate

And why is the 992 S compared to the 991.2 GTS (apparently with semi slicks in above mentioned case)? Shouldn't it be compared to the 991 S (w standard tires)?
G650 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:02 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

The usual suspects jumping on any hint of negativity like hungry dogs. Confirmation bias fuelled in part by not wanting to feel like they are driving yesterdays news. Claims of altruistic "I'm telling you for your own good" are laughable. It's clearly coming from a place of "My opinion is right, and you're wrong". Other enthusiast communities have the exact same dynamics when changes happen.

I found the review interesting. I like Steve, his road test is what I want to see. I'll never take my base carrera to the track, that's what my miata is for.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:18 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Your mania against the 992 has made you blind I think. I never said the new car was trash. In fact I was trying to explain to people like you that comparing the new 911 to a GT3 is a total waste of time. The difference applies to all the previous models as well. If your standard is a GT car then stick with it and stop bashing the new road car. I am tired of seeing reported posts pointing to you and limegreen. You guys made your point and have done nothing but **** off the rest of the folks with your systematic bashing of a car you have no interest in. Bashing a 992 because it isn't a GT3 or RS is sheer stupidity. It isn't and was never meant to be a replacement for a GT model.
It's often the same exact buyers deciding between both but I'm definitely noticing a trend where 992 buyers haven't bought either. GT cars are softer than ever and being produced in higher numbers than ever before. The 992 4S I drove cost what my GT3 cost if I would have left off the exclusive options.

No one's bashing the 992 simply because it isn't a GT3 - they're bashing it because it's vastly overpriced, looks like a mini Panamera, has a 30" iPad in the center and doesn't feel special. Steve said in the review above that it's a good car - not a great one. That's a pretty steep drop off from what most of us think has been the gold standard of sports cars for ~50 years. Therefore, they're telling new buyers to wait for the GT3 instead in the hopes that the GT3 will at least have some of the magic Porsche is/was known for AND because that model probably won't depreciate 41% over 3 years (Porsche Financial's estimate not mine). Further, if it's such sheer stupidity to compare the two, why is the video review above doing exactly the same thing and stating the jury is out on the 992 until the GT models arrive?

As to the guys crying about limegreen and I - I'm sure that is annoying. Let me help you with that:

Last edited by destaccado; 08-16-2019 at 07:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by destaccado:
Johnauto (08-17-2019), porschedood5000 (08-18-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:38 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by moomin
The usual suspects jumping on any hint of negativity like hungry dogs. Confirmation bias fuelled in part by not wanting to feel like they are driving yesterdays news. Claims of altruistic "I'm telling you for your own good" are laughable. It's clearly coming from a place of "My opinion is right, and you're wrong". Other enthusiast communities have the exact same dynamics when changes happen.

I found the review interesting. I like Steve, his road test is what I want to see. I'll never take my base carrera to the track, that's what my miata is for.
I don't really see a whole lot of 991.2 owners chiming in on why their identical model is better than the 992. I doubt anyone with a model that hasn't been released in 992 form feels like they're driving "yesterday's news." Regardless, you should be able to point out what claims previously made are incorrect and why as opposed to this generic confirmation bias story because as I'm sure you know - confirmation bias works in the opposite direction as well.

Possible confirmation bias red alert: "No problem that the well-respected automotive journalist basically says my 110k car took a step backward on the track unlike nearly ever model before it - I own a Miata and bought this car for the road anyways."
Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I don't really see a whole lot of 991.2 owners chiming in on why their identical model is better than the 992. I doubt anyone with a model that hasn't been released in 992 form feels like they're driving "yesterday's news." Regardless, you should be able to point out what claims previously made are incorrect and why as opposed to this generic confirmation bias story because as I'm sure you know - confirmation bias works in the opposite direction as well.

Possible confirmation bias alert: "No problem that Steve basically says my 110k car took a step backward on the track unlike nearly ever model before it - I own a Miata and bought this car for the road anyways."
You're a broken record, with posts littered around the 992 forums doing nothing but bashing it. It's a little crazy how obessive you are. Other than trolling I don't understand what you're still doing here!

My track car gets abused, I don't bash my M2 on a track, it's not why I bought it, 992 will be the same. There's similar trolls to you on the BMW forums I frequent, not quite as persistent. Also they tend to get banned
mallocfailure (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:01 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Freddie81
And why is the 992 S compared to the 991.2 GTS (apparently with semi slicks in above mentioned case)? Shouldn't it be compared to the 991 S (w standard tires)?
It was on Corsas not semi slicks.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:06 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by moomin
You're a broken record, with posts littered around the 992 forums doing nothing but bashing it. It's a little crazy how obessive you are. Other than trolling I don't understand what you're still doing here!

My track car gets abused, I don't bash my M2 on a track, it's not why I bought it, 992 will be the same. There's similar trolls to you on the BMW forums I frequent, not quite as persistent. Also they tend to get banned
He's actually been very accurate and is accurately reporting Steve Sutcliffes comments. Unfortunately, the 992 is big, heavy, doesn't brake well into corners and is a step back from the previous 991. So saith Steve Sutcliffe. Its a track review - what did you expect.

Enjoy the 992.

Last edited by groundhog; 08-16-2019 at 07:50 AM.
destaccado (08-16-2019)

Quick Reply: EVO's 992 Assessment