Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 dash, should they have gone backwards with the look?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:16 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Lot's of things are subjective, but both good and bad design have objective elements that can be recognized. The 992 dash is not coherent because various goals were simultaneously pursued that did not integrate with each other. The 911 retro cluster binnacle makes the center console entirely out of place since it has no historical, or otherwise, connection to the dominant theme set by the instrument cluster.. Same for the infotainment widescreen. If you incorporate a design intended to convey something with long and deeply established forms everything else should follow or integrate. The use of the original 911 instrument cluster form could have been the centerpiece of a design tour de force---a modern interpretation of the classic 911 dash, minimalist and focused.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 10:10 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

I actually like the new interior. I appreciate that they didn't stick a tablet wart on top of the dash. I think with a manual transmission, it would be a very handsome cabin. The horizontal motif recalls the original cabin design. I like that.

What I can't let go, however, is that Porsche scrapped the classic 5 gauge cluster. The fake digital look doesn't do it for me.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:08 AM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 52 Posts

My issue with the 992 series cabin is that it is too similar to the Panamera, Cayenne, etc... When I hop in my 911, I want to see analog gauges that blend well with the rumble of the exhaust and rawness (what's left of it) of the GT series cars. I want the car to look different than the other models made by PAG. The more digital we get and the more they morph the 911 into the rest of their line, the less I desire one. I am certain that they will sell more cars with the leap to digital technology, but to me an analog (petrol) sports car, needs analog gauges. When they become fully electric vehicles, I'm all for the digital dash.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:58 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
I've sold my 997, opting to have a look at the 992 then decide between that or the 991. One of the common complaints throughout the 992 forum is the interior (Panamera like, big screen TV that will look outdated in a few years and so on). While I love gadgets and digital do-dads, and complained a lot about the 997's lack of just connecting your phone... I'm wondering if Porsche missed something by not going back to a more retro look. Not suggesting that they truly go back to analog but mimic the gage look of a 993 (like the singer dash) or maybe the old vette's. IMHO

If you look at 1970s 914, 912 and 911 you will see lots of similarities. Shelf runs right across the car. I just sat in a Chalk on green (very pale) and to me, its very Grand Touring/luxurious looking. I really like the exterior. To each his own. I bet most will love it once they sit in it.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
I've sold my 997, opting to have a look at the 992 then decide between that or the 991. One of the common complaints throughout the 992 forum is the interior (Panamera like, big screen TV that will look outdated in a few years and so on). While I love gadgets and digital do-dads, and complained a lot about the 997's lack of just connecting your phone... I'm wondering if Porsche missed something by not going back to a more retro look. Not suggesting that they truly go back to analog but mimic the gage look of a 993 (like the singer dash) or maybe the old vette's. IMHO

I can tell you that I wouldn't worry about the 992 display looking out of date if you are cross shopping against the 991. My 2014 991 display looks hugely out of date. I hate it.

The only way to avoid having a display that eventually gets out of date is to buy a car with no display.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Yes, they should absolutely go back to NO NONSENSE basic sports car dashboards and interiors. Simple, clean and free from as much distraction as possible. Most importantly, easy to use controls with physical sensation and tactile feedback that require at most a fraction of a second glace away from the road.

The people who are advocating for all this gimmick,crap tech appear confused about what a car does and therefore should simply sit in the safety of their home with their i pads while the rest of us would like to be out and driving while focusing our attention on the only screen that matters.
I agree, but it isn't so simple.

Rear cameras are now mandatory in most or all markets. Therefore, by extension, a sizable screen is also mandatory. There are regulations concerning the time delay from when the reverse is selected to the display turning on, I imagine there are regulations concerning its size and placement.

A majority of buyers are looking for more advanced tech features. Very few people want a new car that is 'simple.' Just think about the level of information customers demand - music, sound settings, navigation, drive settings, bluetooth, etc. etc. It's feat to cram all that into 'one seat,' make it ergonomic, and make it look good. Thirty years ago, you were lucky to get an equalizer.

For what it is (a 2020 sports car), and considering all that regulations require be present, I think they did really well.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-22-2021 at 09:06 PM.
TimD (08-28-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

I ABSOLUTELY love what Porsche did with the new 911 dash.... The perfect blend of state of the art and classic... I even opted for a yellow color on the central RPM gauge ... I couldn't have designed a finer dashboard or overall interior for that car.. I think this is destined to go down as one of the better 911's
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
TimD (08-28-2019), user 82934 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 04:15 AM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

I’m with you Sam Jean - I love it too.
992Sam (08-28-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 10:59 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

Rear cameras are now mandatory in most or all markets. Therefore, by extension, a sizable screen is also mandatory. There are regulations concerning the time delay from when the reverse is selected to the display turning on, I imagine there are regulations concerning its size and placement.

A majority of buyers are probably looking for more advanced tech features. Very few people want a new car that is 'simple.' Everyone is tied to there phone, they want the same tech everywhere.

For what it is (a 2020 sports car), I think they did well. I quite like the analog tacho (probably driven by a digital signal!) paired with the digital gauges.
Agreed. Things change. If Porsche started reproducing 993s I doubt they would sell many............well, they'd sell 2
Old 08-27-2019, 11:02 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

A majority of buyers are probably looking for more advanced tech features. Very few people want a new car that is 'simple.' Everyone is tied to there phone, they want the same tech everywhere.

For what it is (a 2020 sports car), I think they did well. I quite like the analog tacho (probably driven by a digital signal!) paired with the digital gauges.

I still believe that placing the backup camera in the rear view mirror is deemed as acceptable by the US DOT but regardless I do not believe that a massive screen dominating the dashboard is necessary.

I agree very few people are looking for a " simple car" and most want advanced tech features that mimics their phone, however, that foolish consumer demand is clearly NOT in the interest of safety or increased driver focus. Touch screens with layered menus and selections are NOT easier to use than a conventional fixed button layout and place increased demand on the drivers attention. I still do not understand how governing bodies allow touch screens and massive distracting displays to exist in front of a driver in a motor vehicle. Distracted driving is the leading cause of traffic accidents in the US.
ThomasCarreraGTS (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:55 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

None of the communication or navigation technology has demonstrably produced better drivers, in fact arguably the opposite. Driving any car requires focus and situational awareness which have both been seriously degraded by so called driver's aids in large part due to the necessary multi-tasking the technology demands. In theory a sports car would emphasize the act of driving itself with much less emphasis on distracting elements. Evidently this is not case.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:49 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

I have to say I agree that there doesn’t seem to be much evidence that these safety systems produce safer drivers. In fact JD Power has just revealed that the majority of people find ‘safety’ intervention systems annoying with a great many of those people turning them off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/27/driv...y-systems.html
Old 08-27-2019, 03:37 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
In theory a sports car would emphasize the act of driving itself
Porsche executive at product-planning meeting:

"We checked with social media. They want the car to drive itself."
Old 08-27-2019, 06:26 PM
sullic
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I like the 992 exterior a lot. I'm ok with the dash. I would have preferred something similar to the older cars, but I'll deal with the cluster. I hate the center console. The nub with the trough surrounding it is insane. I didn't want to wait for the manual anymore so I bought a 991.2 Turbo for less than the cost of a 4S 992. (As I was specifying mine). The rest of the 992 interior looks good to me.

I'm sure the 992 is great and I'm hoping they will fix these issues with the 992.2 and I'll decide what I'll do at that point.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:55 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Just saw a black cab with black interior, wheel and dash with red belts and tach...........looked amazing!

Quick Reply: 992 dash, should they have gone backwards with the look?